Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Evolve, new shooter from Left 4 Dead devs - now F2P, still dead

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You do have to take into account that L4D2 has been 75% off or more multiple times (and given away for free) so it stands to reason it might have fairly high numbers. That said, yes, it's pretty hilarious when your recent overhyped game tanks so hard.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OMG!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-evolve-has-been-removed-from-sale-on-steam

Evolve has been removed from sale on Steam
UPDATE: Developer teases "biggest, craziest update yet" due tomorrow.

UPDATE 06/07/2016 10.25pm: Turtle Rock Studios co-founder and creative director Phil Robb has billed the developer's countdown as being toward its "Biggest, craziest update yet" on Twitter. He added the hashtag "#StageUp".

ORIGINAL STORY 06/07/2016 9.17pm: Asymmetrical monster-hunting multiplayer shooter Evolve is no longer available for purchase on Steam.

jpg

We're not sure why it's gone, though we've asked publisher 2K Games for an explanation and will update when we find out more.

One popular theory is that the game could be going free-to-play. According to Steamcharts, Evolve's userbase has significantly dwindled on PC. Upon its February 2015 release, it averaged a player base of over 9000 simultaneous users, but its most recent month averaged at a minuscule 105 with a peak of 234.

Adding further credence to this free-to-play theory is the fact that the official Evolve websitehas a countdown timer that will end tomorrow at 5pm UK time.

Despite its shrinking player base, Evolve had a relatively strong launch for a new IP. It was thebest-selling retail game in the UK during its month of release and it came in second for US retail sales. 2K Games announced after three months that it had shifted approximately 2.5m copies of Evolve to retailers.

ZoddGuts

Augur
If nothing works, go F2P and hope people are stupid enough to play your mediocre game.

Caim

Arcane
Wait, Evolve is still around? I reckoned that they took that down months ago.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How the hell does this work? I saw that Evolve was on sale on Steam during the steam sale, and some people probably picked it up. That is scammy if this now is the case - going free to play I mean.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The very moment I've heard about the game I though: "That sounds like a cool concept...for two hours. Then it's uninstall-and-forget forever."
2K should employ me. Would save moni.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It actually is pretty fun here and there. I mean that from the time I spent in the Beta with it. The game just wasn't $50 fun. Or $100 DLC + $100 more DLC for small shit that took no effort levels of costly fun.

2K has their heads firmly up their own asses, though. They've no clue how to build and market an online multiplayer game and have been getting blown past by the competition.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Even F2P I doubt I'd bother with this (especially since the download is probably around 40 gig). As I mentioned before the game is worse than L4D in every possible way except graphical fidelity ('cuz duh L4D is several years old now). The lack of meaningful strategy kills it. It's a derpy party game with big explosions.

Wonder how long it'll take them to make Battleborn F2P.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
F2P confirmed lol

http://www.pcgamer.com/evolve-goes-...m_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

Evolve goes free-to-play, beta starts tomorrow

Asymmetrical monster hunting shooter has a new lease on life.

Following the appearance of a mysterious counter on the Evolve website this week, and the game's removal from Steam, many speculated that the game was about to go free-to-play. Well, it turns out those speculations were correct, because studio Turtle Rock has confirmed as much in its official forums.

Studio co-founder Chris Aston made the announcement, revealing that the newly resurrected monster shooter will go into beta on July 7 (or July 8 in the southern hemisphere), allowing time to iron out bugs "over a period of weeks and months". Those who already own Evolve will get "Founder status" in the free-to-play version, with all owned content still accessible, and the promise of "gifts, rewards and special access" in the future.

Meanwhile, the studio is making a series of improvements to the game. Most importantly, experienced trapper and medic players won't be as essential as they were. Maps and UI are being tweaked, more customisation options will be available, and the game's progression system and tutorials are being completed "reworked". Performance and loading times are being seen to as well.

In the announcement, Ashton admitted that while the original version of the game was highly anticipated, it failed to have the impact the team expected. "We worked on it for years and then, suddenly, people got to experience our game, controller in-hand," he said. "There was genuine excitement – real joy – when people played. It was like nothing they’d ever played before and watching it happen was like no high we ever felt."

But the game's well-documented and heavily criticised season pass removed most of that lustre. "When Evolve launched, the reception wasn’t what we expected," he continued. "Sure, there were some good reviews. There were also bad reviews. Yes, there was excitement. There was also disappointment – for players and for us. The DLC shitstorm hit full force and washed away people’s enthusiasm, dragging us further and further from that first magical pick-up-and-play experience."

There's no word as yet on how the studio plans to make money from the free-to-play version, but whatever the case, it's worth having a go when the beta launches tomorrow. In his review, Evan Lahti described Evolve as "a refreshingly asymmetrical FPS with terrific competitive depth, but the thrill of the hunt eventually begins to wane."

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nothing they're going to do will change the fact that most asymmetrical versus games are terrible.

Luka-boy

Arcane
And let me guess; a relaunch on Steam also means they get to get rid of those pesky Mixed review scores :M

adrix89

Arbiter
Why are there so many of my country here?
Nothing they're going to do will change the fact that most asymmetrical versus games are terrible.
Asymmetric games are not a bad concept. In fact they can be great if done right.
The problem is you need to take special care to get it right, and usually game designers are complete fucking morons since everything that has been swimming in their minds is popamole and pretty graphics.

The only great asymmetrical versus I played is Left 4 Dead 2. So good that I still can't stop playing even after over 1.8k hours in it. And it doesn't seem like there will be any game to replace it for me any time soon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The only great asymmetrical versus I played is Left 4 Dead 2. So good that I still can't stop playing even after over 1.8k hours in it. And it doesn't seem like there will be any game to replace it for me any time soon.
Natural Selection 2 is also a great asymmetrical versus game, I recommend you giving it a try if you haven't already.

Natural Selection 2 is also a great asymmetrical versus game, I recommend you giving it a try if you haven't already.

I might, I do have it in steam library but honestly from the videos of it I've seen it didn't seem appealing. Maybe I just like that specific type of gameplay present in L4D2 and nowhere else. Running around arena-like maps getting killed and respawned constantly is not my thing.

I've always been curious about this and played a couple of matches today. Was bored out of my skull in both of them, one as a hunter, the other as the monster. There is no tension at all and most of the match is spent running around. Concept needed to be further fleshed out with the tracking aspect given much more thought.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...e-2-update-likely-not-coming-to-consoles.aspx
Turtle Rock Ending Support For Evolve, Stage 2 Update Likely Not Coming To Consoles

Turtle Rock announced today it will no longer be working on Evolve, and that the free-to-play Stage 2 update for the game is, "just not meant to be," on consoles.

Turtle Rock made the announcement of its intentions to move onto different projects on its forums writing, "It’s always hard to leave one of our games behind. Left4Dead was no different and now it’s Evolve’s turn."

MasPingon

Arcane
Dude, how is L4D asymmetrical? Except when you join Versus drunk and it's basically 3 vs 4. /ninja edit/ Just educated myself what "asymmetrical multiplayer" means, please move along:shredder:

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...d-dev-announces-new-dark-fantasy-co-op-fps-ip

Evolve, Left 4 Dead dev announces new dark fantasy co-op FPS IP

Evolve and Left 4 Dead creator Turtle Rock has announced a new co-operative shooter with strong dark fantasy elements for free-to-play online game publisher Perfect World (Neverwinter, Star Trek Online).

"We're focusing on what we do best," studio co-founder Phil Robb told GamesIndustry.biz, "heart-pounding moment-to-moment online co-op FPS action."

The game has no revealed name but will use Unreal Engine and be released 2018. Platforms aren't mentioned but PC is a given.

"There will be plenty of baddies to shoot up but it is not a 'zombie game' or anything post-apocalyptic," Turtle Rock general manager and president Steve Goldstein added. "What we can say right now is there's a strong dark fantasy element to it."

A free-to-play business model isn't explicitly confirmed but, given Perfect World's portfolio as well as Turtle Rock's evangelising of F2P following Evolve's transition, is highly likely.

"We can't overstate how helpful [F2P] is to us as developers," said Goldstein.

"With a service-based title we can react to players' behavior instantly. If we see something that players don't like, we can modify it in the next patch. Same goes for things that users are enjoying or playstyles that we didn't anticipate. With Evolve: Stage 2 we were releasing an update every week with changes to the game that were based on our users' reactions. We expect to implement this process at the outset on our new title.

"To us, boxed product is like a speech, a developer is telling something to its audience and they have to listen. With free-to-play, it's a conversation and we love that dialog with our players."

Turtle Rock has two virtual reality games in development - Other Worlds and Face Your Fears - but hasn't decided on VR in relation to the new IP yet. Apparently eSports isn't on the agenda.

Turtle Rock, an independent studio, numbers around 70 people but wants to expand to 100, and aims to have multiple projects on the go (one big project plus a couple of smaller projects, presumably).

Earlier this year Turtle Rock walked wholesale away from Evolve, the 4v1, humans vs. monster co-operative shooter that charmed at game shows but struggled to sell. The lesson Goldstein took from it all was that "the triple-A boxed product is just not a welcome home for independent developers". "It's now a nearly impossible proposition, actually," he said.

"The major publishers out there are spending [over] $100 million on developing the next iteration of a franchise... and at the same time, they are increasingly hesitant to spend on new IP."

Even if an independent studio sells a new IP to a publisher, the budget won't be able to compete with a blockbuster - though it will be high enough as to be "almost impossible to receive any royalties" on.

"Your best prospect in making a new boxed-product IP is to hope you sell enough units that a sequel is greenlit, which again will be at an even higher budget than what you had on the first title. The cycle continues and you still won't be profitable," he added. "We are now at a point where a $60 asking price will be solely left to the domain of already-established franchises."

F2P == Insta shit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom