Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Excessive Thread Merging

roshan

Arcane
Recently a thread on RPG music, in GRPD, was merged into a video game music megathread in General Gaming. Now, I posted in that thread because I specifically wanted to discuss RPG music, with RPG fans, on an RPG subforum, in an RPG site. One of the most important aspects of the overall RPG experience is the music and it doesn't make sense that a thread about this ends up merged into a general gaming megathread. And several Codex favourites such as Fallout and Bloodlines are known for their excellent musical scores.

Originally my post got several replies, but now that it has been moved there is nothing new, and when I search through that thread, I am exposed to hundreds of YouTube videos featuring music from sports, FPS, RTS, racing and other genres of games that I have no interest in whatsoever.

At the very least there should be a megathread specifically for RPG music.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It was obviously Jaesun.

OP, unfortunately, this is something that has become commonplace here at RPG Codex and is one of the worst aspects of it now. I'm afraid there's nothing any of us can do about it any further because DU himself was the one who decreed that thread merging should be stopped, about a year ago I think, and since then, even though his attention's been called to incidents like this one, he refuses to do anything about it any more. His words were hollow.

I don't think he cares.

Edit: I would think that at least a pre-moving PM to an oldfag like roshan would have been in order. Tsk tsk.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What the fuck is with the obsession with merging threads in the first place? It should only be done in circumstances like when there's some news and every joe rushes to make a thread about it and we end up with the discussion split in three places.

But it seems we have some human bots doing merging without more consideration than matching content.

roshan

Arcane
Edit: I would think that at least a pre-moving PM to an oldfag like roshan would have been in order. Tsk tsk.

It wasn't my thread. Knowing what forum policies are like, I just necroed an older thread.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO a thread discussing video game music, was merged with a thread discussing video game music, what is the problem? :M

roshan

Arcane
SO a thread discussing video game music, was merged with a thread discussing video game music, what is the problem? :M

"I specifically wanted to discuss RPG music, with RPG fans, on an RPG subforum, in an RPG site". I have no interest in "video game music". And now all the posts related to RPG music are lost in a huge swathe of posts about FPS and RTS games.

As a mod on an RPG forum, you should understand that there are a lot of people here particularly because they care about RPGs, and are not concerned with the rest of "general gaming".

dukeofwhales

Cipher
SO a thread about video games was merged with a thread about video games, what's the problem? Better merge all of GRPGD together :M

hello friend

Arcane
Getting the strangest feeling of deja vu here... other threads about thread merging notwithstanding, I'm sure this exact thing with the specific music thread being merged into the general music thread has happened before.

Highly redundant. I urge the administration to merge this thread with other threads about merging threads.

Mustawd

Can't wait for the thread splitting thread to be created...

*waits for this post to be split into its own thread*

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I'm afraid there's nothing any of us can do about it any further because DU himself was the one who decreed that thread merging should be stopped, about a year ago I think, and since then, even though his attention's been called to incidents like this one, he refuses to do anything about it any more. His words were hollow.

I don't think he cares.
I care.

Just not very deeply.

And mostly more about the drama this type of thing generates.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Either give roshan back his thread or... I suggest merging all the threads about "games suck nowadays" into one big thread too.

roshan

Arcane
Or why even have separate threads for video game music, black metal, ethnic music, classical, pop, etc? It's all just music, they should all be merged together into a single music megathread.

lurker3000

Arcane
Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
All feedbacks shd be merged since they're all feedbacks.

kazgar

Arcane
All feedbacks shd be merged since they're all feedbacks.

All threads should be merged since they're all threads.

LOOM_Cover_Art.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
your proposal is sound root but i think all moderators should just be merged into one megamoderator

i've just finished drawing up twenty different charts on the matter and they all show that the increase in efficiency, mergitivity and join date one liner spamming will be immense

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
How about a discussion before merging?

Mod announces intention to megathread, both in thread and on site feedback, and if no-one objects, mod gets to megathread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom