Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Eye Cancer poll

Which cause eye cancer?

• Motion blur

Votes: 84 49.1%
  • Color "correction" (Piss Filter)

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • Depth of field

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • Lens flares

Votes: 19 11.1%
  • HDR

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Low FOV

Votes: 50 29.2%
  • 30fps cinematic frame rate cap

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Grain filter

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • BLOOM!

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Votes: 73 42.7%
  • Chromatic Aberration

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • Ban OP

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My kitchen has the same lighting as the Deus Ex screen. I love those lamps.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Motion blur is the only one that can make it physically impossible for me to play a game. Sometimes it's so bad that I feel nausea and my eyes start to hurt. While the other effects can be pretty stupid when they are used excessively (or at all for that matter), none of them are harmful to the point where I can't play the game unless turned off.

pippin

I had to google chromatic aberration. It seems that's what you're supposed to see under the influence of very toxic drugs.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Every time I have to add something to the poll, I have to find pictures of it on google. horrible, horrible pictures. Plaease, kind sirs. Have a heart.

A user named cat

If you want to add one more; how about vignetting? It serves no purpose and just darkens the edges, making the surrounding textures look hazy. Another photography effect that has absolutely no use in video games. I believe the Twitcher games (scroll down) most notably abuse it, amongst others I've come across.

I just noticed you had "grain filter" in the poll though, that I disagree with. Film grain is great when used properly and when it can enhance the atmosphere. Sometimes textures are too flat looking and lifeless, and a simple noise grain adds some soul and texture to them. Just look at the Silent Hill series for example. It also meshes very well with black and white.

This is an Aussie:

This is an Aussie on film grain. Any questions?

thesoup

Arcane
Cropped out obviously. You can see from the pose that DU is sitting on one he freshly killed croc.

Sodafish

Arcane
Yeah, where's the alligator

e1iSu7c.png

DakaSha

Arcane
I think im the only person who actually needs motion blur. without it i get fucking seasick from a lot of shooters.

Yeah fuck if i know

lightbane

Arcane
All of them are bad, but I would say bloom is the worst for having been the first to be overdone.

Also, I would add another thing to this poll: Cutscene stupidity, aka when a character randomly behaves in a certain way in order to make a certain situation work, no matter how stupid or groan-worthy it is. Extra points if the main character was previously featured as a complete badass, but then gets scared by one random zombie/breaks down and cries like a little girl from sheer terror/becomes completely submissive to what's obviously the developer's self-insert/whines about the value of human life and then keeps murdering everything/acts out of character in order to make someone else look better, etc.

Last edited:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Motion Blur I can't fucking stand in any way and DoF is terrible too, but I can tolerate it when it's used sparsely and with a tiny effect.

FoV is one of those things I'll usually only notice when it's too low, to the point of making me dizzy, but yeah it becomes another big offender to me.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I just had a go at Outlast, a recent survival/horror FPS game using the Unreal engine.

First thing I did was disable Motion Blur. I STILL got motion sickness about 30 minutes into the game, put it down and won't touch it again.

When modern-day "speshul effeks" are making it hard for people to play the damn game, it's time to take a step back.

Stargazer_

Its surprising that 30 cinematic frames didn't get more votes, 30 fps is just nasty. Its like watching perpetual claynimation only with tons of screen tearing and lag not only that 30 fps games control like utter shit if they require advance hand motions of any kind.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Its surprising that 30 cinematic frames didn't get more votes

While I can understand your hate, 30 FPS is due to hardware limitation 99% of times. The aberrations in this case are the mental gymnastic used to justify said cap ("it's cringematic!" / "human ass can't perceive more than 30 fps anyway..."). I find everything wich is a direct insult to my intelligence aberrating, but in this case it's happening outside of the game itself.

30FPS is a social construct.

pippin

I just had a go at Outlast, a recent survival/horror FPS game using the Unreal engine.

First thing I did was disable Motion Blur. I STILL got motion sickness about 30 minutes into the game, put it down and won't touch it again.

When modern-day "speshul effeks" are making it hard for people to play the damn game, it's time to take a step back.

I always disable all those effects before playing the game. It's a pity that "bare" textures look like crap most of the times, though.

Nikaido

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Chromatic aberration might not be the most insufferable effect, but it is the most pointless. Literally, it's something you'd only notice in real life in pictures taken with shitty digital cameras, or with very odd lighting conditions if it's a good lens. There is an entire industry of software dedicated to eliminating that kind of defect (such as DxO). Real world artists don't want chromatic aberration on their photos. People pay a premium to reduce its existence as much as possible. What makes video game developers think they know better than actual artists?

If you want to add one more; how about vignetting? It serves no purpose and just darkens the edges, making the surrounding textures look hazy. Another photography effect that has absolutely no use in video games.

Vignetting is only considered a "photography effect" by shitty hipsters who buy russian cameras/lenses. Everyone else considers that a defect that has to be corrected.
Lomos/Holgas are used to hide a lack of talent behind a blurred slurry of random colors.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Pretty much hate all of those things. I'm fucking weird when it comes to graphics, though. I got a pretty decent gfx-card and I still turn off shadows in a lot of games.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I got a pretty decent gfx-card and I still turn off shadows in a lot of games.
Most modern games I've played don't even have that option, at best you can only choose the shadow quality. With my mediocre laptop all I can have are blocky shadow squares that I'd rather disable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom