Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
glad I didn't Kickstart a facebook project.

I like the idea of VR tho so I hope Sony picks up the torch.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
TESO also has (unofficial, but functional) OR support. That's over 12 million potential customers already.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So in late 2012, guy goes to kickstarter and gets 9k people to give him 2 million so he can start a company. About 15 months later, he sells said company for 2 billion.

Damn, those KS backers must be really happy with the investment they made, when they get their share they will surely- oh wait...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game/comments

"Wahh I paid money for a dev kit and they sent me a dev kit and then transferred ownership of their company six months later. Scam artists! Refund now!"

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
This would be a good time for someone to Kickstart a Rift alternative. Keep the dream alive.

...and then sell that to Facebook.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Cleve is always serious.

This would be a good time for someone to Kickstart a Rift alternative. Keep the dream alive.

...and then sell that to Facebook.

You can keep the dream alive by using your dev kit to make games for the Rift. They won't take the hardware away from you.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The groundwork is being laid for a glorious future in PC gaming. While playing a casual cross platform tablet game in VR your friends can poke you as you instashare achievements and receive immersive targeted adds via product placement in game (taken via your Facebook profile, AKA DRM).

set

Cipher
You're thinking too shallow.

Facebook will be the governing body of cyberspace one centry from now. They'll set the policies, the design, everything about the virtual world all nerds want to ecsape to. But instead of making it a world where people can escape to, it will be a world full of advertisements, full of real world real identity friend requests, and full of other real world banalities. Give Zuckerburg the III the keys to your identity dood and you can jack in whenever you want.

Effectively, Facebook has begun conquering the future of technology.

Gerrard

Arcane
It's a funny coincidence that in Consumerist's "Worst company in America" tomorrow is Facebook's round.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It's a funny coincidence that in Consumerist's "Worst company in America" tomorrow is Facebook's round.

The same poll that said EA was worse than a company whose employment standards in Asia are so bad they gotta build nets to stop people from killing themselves...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Rift creator is pretty active on Reddit right now:

http://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

We have not gotten into all the details yet, but a lot of the news is coming. The key points:

1) We can make custom hardware, not rely on the scraps of the mobile phone industry. That is insanely expensive, think hundreds of millions of dollars. More news soon.

2) We can afford to hire everyone we need, the best people that fit into our culture of excellence in all aspects.

3) We can make huge investments in content. More news soon.

----Just promise me there will be no specific Facebook tech tie-ins.----
I promise.

Why would we want to sell to someone like MS or Apple? So they can tear the company apart and use the pieces to build out their own vision of virtual reality, one that fits whatever current strategy they have? Not a chance.

We promise we won't change. If anything, our hardware and software will get even more open, and Facebook is onboard with that.

I won't change, and any change at Oculus will be for the better. We have even more freedom than we had under our investment partners because Facebook is making a long term play on the success of VR, not short-term returns.

A lot of people are upset, and I get that. If you feel the same way a year from now, I would be very surprised.

We are not going to lock people out because they compete. We have been working on a variety of first party applications, but are completely open to community equivalents. It would be arrogant of us to assume that our solutions will be the best solutions, users can decide for themselves.

This deal will definitely make things better. You are right, we have struggled to properly support indie devs because we had to focus our limited resources on our closest partners, that has been a failing that I want to fix. Indie developers are the ones driving this VR revolution more than anyone else, and one of my personal goals has been to support them in a much stronger way.

This deal specifically lets us greatly lower the price of the Rift.

This is about the best possible outcome for the future of virtual reality, not my wallet.

Keep in mind that Mark Zuckerberg has publicly spoken against NSA surveillance.

Now watch the concern trolls swarming in, bereft of all other avenues to channel their hatred, and complain about the Kickstarter backers getting a bum deal when everybody else gets massive discounts.

Dexter

Arcane
The same poll that said EA was worse than a company whose employment standards in Asia are so bad they gotta build nets to stop people from killing themselves...

Hint, Hint:

Gotta love /v/ at the moment by the way: http://boards.4chan.org/v/
1395790136246ixsge.png

http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/237049232

Now watch the concern trolls swarming in, bereft of all other avenues to channel their hatred, and complain about the Kickstarter backers getting a bum deal when everybody else gets massive discounts.
It's not very surprising that the beneficiary of a $2 billion deal would try to do damage control, fact is "Facebook" is probably one of the worst choices they could have picked.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom