Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's not very surprising that the beneficiary of a $2 billion deal would try to do damage control.

The logic eludes me.

0b57d1e282b53abc7298e1719e2fa778.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
It's a funny coincidence that in Consumerist's "Worst company in America" tomorrow is Facebook's round.

The same poll that said EA was worse than a company whose employment standards in Asia are so bad they gotta build nets to stop people from killing themselves...

EA gives a shit, that's why people voted. I doubt all the Foxconn folks speak English.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Steam is obnoxious to those who have limited internet downloads.
21st century, bro.

It's not just that. Steam was bossing me around on my own computer.

It didn't ask me whether I wanted to update the game I was trying to play, it informed I would be able to play after 1.2 gigs of updates were installed.

I buy from GOG or I don't buy it at all.

It didn't ask me whether I wanted to update the game I was trying to play, it informed I would be able to play after 1.2 gigs of updates were installed.

It's set to install updates automatically by default. You should probably change that if your internet connection is a piece of shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It's set to install updates automatically by default. You should probably change that if your internet connection is a piece of shit.

Last I checked it still forces the update when you try to launch the game in online mode. They could have changed that recently though, I guess.

Either way, no matter how much anyone likes Steam, it certainly restricts what you can do with your games more than DRM free games do. "I would like to revert back to an old patch." "NO." I would like to install some games on C and some on D." "NO." "I would like to not use this DLC." "NO." Etc. etc.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
At least Bethesda makes games... albeit mostly shitty ones.

>implying Facebook isn't the greatest RPG of them all.
What are you doing here? This isn't the beg thread.

I buy from GOG or I don't buy it at all.
Great, support Witcher 3. I also don't get the fucking butthurt over automatic updates. Only games I can think of that you wouldn't want updated are older ones and, in general, you can simply copy them elsewhere on your computer and launch them independent of Steam.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

Last I checked it still forces the update when you try to launch the game in online mode. They could have changed that recently though, I guess.

Either way, no matter how much anyone likes Steam, it certainly restricts what you can do with your games more than DRM free games do. "I would like to revert back to an old patch." "NO." I would like to install some games on C and some on D." "NO." "I would like to not use this DLC." "NO." Etc. etc.
It also has achievements and trading cards, rendering any negatives a moot point. :troll:

Metro is one of us, the Children of the Gaben. We have seen the light. Have you come seeking the light as well?

Well, it goes without saying that any DRM is more restrictive than no DRM at all (not that GOG's executables will be of much use a few decades from now should they go belly-up, either).

And yeah, those are some of the problems with the system (you also can't burn the games on a disc to run on some computer that is not connected to the internet, and sometimes Steam forgets its settings because it's in Permanent Beta), which only makes it stranger that people would rather focus on "what if Gaben steals all the games" tinfoilhattery instead of those.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Games that I was testing out, not wanting to make any investments in time or bandwith doing so.

What's with me and GOG? They cater to my wants.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
And yeah, those are some of the problems with the system (you also can't burn the games on a disc to run on some computer that is not connected to the internet, and sometimes Steam forgets its settings because it's in Permanent Beta), which only makes it stranger that people would rather focus on "what if Gaben steals all the games" tinfoilhattery instead of those.

I more or less agree, because 1) I don't see Steam closing for decades and 2) there are always DRM free backups on the pirate bay. I mostly just get annoyed I can't do certain things I want to, like turn off Deus Ex's preorder DLC or revert to a previous patch when the new one breaks something like Skyrim's resistances. These are simple fixes I am assuming Valve have never done because they see more options as confusing to consumers, which sucks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam is obnoxious to those who have limited internet downloads.
21st century, bro.

Uh... you implied that complaint was a different problem, moron. Or do you not understand the proper usage of 'it's not just that.' So, as I said before: '21st century.' That covers both your complaints... which is really only one.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Skyrim's second or third patch breaking all resistances is a great example of the patching problem, Metro. In any sane society when that patch released you could revert back to solve the problem, but because it's Steam you had to wait weeks for them to patch it again to solve the issue.

Cassidy

Arcane
As shitty as Steam is, it cannot really beat Facebook in shittiness*, specially when considering Facebook as a gaming platform in comparison to it.

*unless Valve sells Steam to Activizion-Blizzard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom