Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Facebook buys Occulus Rift

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

Stopped reading there. Well, that and you apparently bought Skyrim so early that the patches were still forthcoming. When Cassidy says something is worse than Steam... you know it's worse than Steam.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Stopped reading there. Well, that and you apparently bought Skyrim so early that the patches were still forthcoming. When Cassidy says something is worse than Steam... you know it's worse than Steam.

"Steam faults only matter if they effect games I like" is the shallowest of arguments, fanboy.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
12426.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Give me a quality argument other than his 'I have shitty internet' and your extremely isolated one-game example. Better yet, we'll appeal to Cassidy (the biggest Steam hater around): are the complaints valid?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Langston Hughes said:
What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore—
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over—
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Give me a quality argument other than his 'I have shitty internet' and your extremely isolated one-game example. Better yet, we'll appeal to Cassidy (the biggest Steam hater around): are the complaints valid?

Why can't you just say "yeah they should let you have that option buried in some menu somewhere, but it's not a super huge deal." What's so fucking hard about that? That's all I'm saying.

It's extremely fanboyish to say "no fuck you there are no flaws praise Gaben!"

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
No, you're saying anyone who doesn't recognize that is being a fanboy. Sorry, not the case. Steam has a lot of issues, like problems with offline mode, outages, etc. Neither of these things (mentioned in this thread) are noteworthy. Anyway, I'm doing you a favor detracting time you'd be spending in the Max Payne 3 thread.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sony's project morpheus is another VR option (being developed for the PS4) but maybe they can extend that beyond just the playstation.

Dev kits for that are suppose to be going out in June.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Steam is obnoxious to those who have limited internet downloads.
21st century, bro.

It's not just that. Steam was bossing me around on my own computer.

It didn't ask me whether I wanted to update the game I was trying to play, it informed I would be able to play after 1.2 gigs of updates were installed.
Uh... you implied that complaint was a different problem, moron. Or do you not understand the proper usage of 'it's not just that.' So, as I said before: '21st century.' That covers both your complaints... which is really only one.

"It's not just that" means I'm not butthurt about having 20th century internet.

I didn't want to learn anything about Steam. I think I have a right to play a purchased game and not be stung because I don't know how to tweak the DRM management program I need to run it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Considering Facebook is now catering to everybody's dad instead of its original userbase, I cannot wait to enjoy a Virtual Reality full of elderly people by the time it comes out.

deuxhero

Arcane
To be honest, I don't really care.

I always thought that if Occulus Rift worked and got supported, someone would very quickly come out with a superior product and decided to keep calm and let the early adopters beta test for me. It's how the free market works.

Look at smart phones as a recent example. iPhone wasn't the first, but it did popularize them (even though it was, like all Apple products, shit for illiterates) and causes dozens of superior products. It's something that's been repeated time and again throughout history.

Last edited:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Considering Facebook is now catering to everybody's dad instead of its original userbase, I cannot wait to enjoy a Virtual Reality full of elderly people by the time it comes out.

They'll be using sexy 20-something avatars, of course (base cosmetic package available at $9.99 monthly subscription, customization for small additional fee).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The whole thing is so corpulently gross and everything that's wrong with the world. Trawl kick starter for ROI free venture capital to create something beautiful and innovative, get bought by the evil empire for Facebook penny stock.

The so called saviour of core gaming just became the harbinger of social, phone game death.

And sonys piece of shit wasn't even in contention.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron

I always thought that if Occulus Rift worked and got supported, someone would very quickly come out with a superior product and decided to keep calm and let the early adopters beta test for me. It's how the free market works.

Look at smart phones as a recent example. iPhone wasn't the first, but it did popularize them (even though it was, like all Apple products, shit for illiterates) and causes dozens of superior products. It's something that's been repeated time and again throughout history.

They're not open source though.

Turjan

Arcane
Posting in a Steam thread.

Just saying that shitty internet connections are even a problem in the rural US. Monthly download limits of 2 GB are quite common there.

Anyway, regarding the Oculus Rift, I have always been a bit skeptical of of the capabilities of a small company to develop a technical device like that without a major sponsor. It sucks, but that's usual the reality. But Facebook... :negative:

deuxhero

Arcane

They're not open source though.

Neither was the iPhone or the Oldsmobile.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Posting in a Steam thread.

Just saying that shitty internet connections are even a problem in the rural US. Monthly download limits of 2 GB are quite common there.

Anyway, regarding the Oculus Rift, I have always been a bit skeptical of of the capabilities of a small company to develop a technical device like that without a major sponsor. It sucks, but that's usual the reality. But Facebook... :negative:

For myself, it's not just download limits, or having to learn to manage the DRM. A lot of people, myself included, have the opinion that there hasn't been a PC exclusive game worth paying for since before Steam was around. Yet somehow, despite the shit games, Gabe Newell is a billionaire.

Steam shows the suits that there is no drawback for producing games with DRM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom