Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Factorio - a factory building game

Perkel

Arcane
speaking of multi:

zerging:

Y6MRj8m.png
http://i.imgur.com/Y6MRj8m.pnghttp:...com/Y6MRj8m.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/Y6MRj8m.png

Ironmonk

Augur
One of the test games they did reach 400+ players. That's crazy.

Btw, did you guys give a good try on the revamped flamethrower? That is IMHO the most satisfying weapon in the game, is so much fun, I'm only using it now.

And I never liked flamethrower in other games, always a crap weapon (just like before the revamp), but now factorio got it "right", both on effectiveness and enjoyment.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One of the test games they did reach 400+ players. That's crazy.

Btw, did you guys give a good try on the revamped flamethrower? That is IMHO the most satisfying weapon in the game, is so much fun, I'm only using it now.

And I never liked flamethrower in other games, always a crap weapon (just like before the revamp), but now factorio got it "right", both on effectiveness and enjoyment.
The flamethrower is very good, just fire and forget while things burn down.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm lucky if I can get that shit to tell me when a chest is full.

I'm really looking forward to 0.15, because my British friend and I are going to play together for the first time and it's going to be interesting.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
IT'S FEBRUARY WHERE'S 0.15

I NEED IT

I can't wait to embrace the autism again. I'll have to check and see which mods are still worth using and which are now redundant. If there's going to be liquid trains in vanilla, that's one mod I wont need. Whilst the new track placing looks cool, I don't think it automatically places extra signals or electrical poles though like that mod did (F.A.R.T. or whatever), which was incredibly useful for quickly expanding to far areas. The warehouse mod was also pretty nice for huge bases, instead of trying to fuck with 100 chests for storage (to cope with large but irregular ore deliveries). The Ion Cannon was also jolly good fun. It feels a little like cheating, but if you're at the point where you're capable of launching them, you've pretty much won anyway. I guess you could just play with the shitters turned off, but then I'd miss out of the extra turbonerd factor of arranging defences and automating repairs. I can't wait. I'm going to try playing it with my American friend for the first time, which should be interesting.

Data4

Arcane
I bought this thinking it would be the next Kerbal for me, as in the next game I'd sink into and piss away 5000 hours. After I figured out how to play, I got a supply of copper and iron coming in on my main bus, and I'll be goddamned if I can find the desire to play any more.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Are those new HD sprites that they showcased earlier gonna make it into the new build?

fff-155-pipes-and-pump.gif

Sexy.:positive:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I bought this thinking it would be the next Kerbal for me, as in the next game I'd sink into and piss away 5000 hours. After I figured out how to play, I got a supply of copper and iron coming in on my main bus, and I'll be goddamned if I can find the desire to play any more.

Different strokes for different folks. Factorio is in essence a freeform puzzle game, in which you must continually learn and solve ever more complex problems, as though you were an engineer and/or programmer; thanks to the game's abstraction and simplification of complex real-world concepts and physics, anyone can enjoy it without having to be a professional engineer or programmer.

Kerbal is much the same, except for building, launching, and controlling spacecraft. I'm somewhat the opposite of you: I own Kerbal and I enjoy it, have played a few dozen hours over the years and bought a copy for a Steam friend for Christmas, but it's never going to be a billion-hour timesink jamboree for me.

Are those new HD sprites that they showcased earlier gonna make it into the new build?

fff-155-pipes-and-pump.gif

Sexy.:positive:

Yes, they'll be implemented in the next major update, but I'm a bit concerned it'll look junky because they're not complete and they'll be mixed with pixelated stuff.

Personally, I prefer the pixelated stuff because it feels more old-school, and I hope they're toggle-able (although if they develop only high-res assets after 1.0 without developing low-res models alongside, they might not be).

Data4

Arcane
I think part of it is that I watched a lot of tutorial vids to get me up to speed on the game mechanics. Perhaps more than I should, since once playing, it felt like I was already burned out. Ah well, I have it on Steam, so maybe one day I'll pick it back up.

Perkel

Arcane
Hot damn. I played for the first time Bobs mod. Holy Asperger ! This is amazing. I mean it gives you at least 5x of what factorio is.

When will be 0.15 released ?

Ironmonk

Augur
Hot damn. I played for the first time Bobs mod. Holy Asperger ! This is amazing. I mean it gives you at least 5x of what factorio is.

When will be 0.15 released ?

Posted by Rseding91 on 2017-02-10, all posts

0.15 status
Work has been going swiftly on 0.15, but there are still many major topics we have left to close. We mentioned previously that our estimate for release would be near the end of February, and while this has been our internal goal, we won't quite be able to make it.

One of the main reasons for this delay is us underestimating how long it would take to stabilize 0.14 and the new multiplayer code. We thought that because it was a relatively small 'major' release, that it would not take much time to make it stable. However the great community members playing the experimental version kept finding bugs for us to fix, and even now there are still several 0.14 bugs being identified and fixed in 0.15.

The extending bug fixing of 0.14 was no doubt necessary, but it has led us to be somewhat behind schedule on several features of 0.15. Our current optimistic estimate is that we will be able to release an experimental version of 0.15 at the end of March, and we will keep you all up to date on its progress.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Someone finally built a true autonomous self-replicating factory, thanks to mods that let you place blueprints and control trains via the circuit network

Working with 1 cell at a time, it puts mines down over any ores, adds a train station if supplies are needed and/or if there is ore to transport back, puts down solar cells if it's having brownouts, then moves onto the next spot, in a slowly expanding spiral. Oil is not worked into it yet though, nor is dealing with biters (so there are none in that map). Still pretty neat though. BUT NOT AS NEAT AS 0.15

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Someone finally built a true autonomous self-replicating factory, thanks to mods that let you place blueprints and control trains via the circuit network

Working with 1 cell at a time, it puts mines down over any ores, adds a train station if supplies are needed and/or if there is ore to transport back, puts down solar cells if it's having brownouts, then moves onto the next spot, in a slowly expanding spiral. Oil is not worked into it yet though, nor is dealing with biters (so there are none in that map). Still pretty neat though. BUT NOT AS NEAT AS 0.15

Cool. I've been wanting to build self-replicating factories for a while now.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is a Tycoon game? A SimSomething game? Or a Survival game? It is all of those I suppose. I bought it anyway because the reviews are so freakishly positive, it had to see what it was all about.

But I was sceptical, because I have played a LOT of games like this over the years and I am always disappointed by them. In the good ole days I used to play SimCity (then 2000, then 4), Theme Hospital, Transport Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. I would play them and enjoy them for a short while, but then always got bored and disappointed. I am just not a fan of 'sandbox' type gameplay, I think it sucks for many reasons. But all of those games are also seriously lacking in depth. They seem aimed at kids or something, with big colorful buttons and simple gameplay where you build a rollercoaster or something, place a drink shop and icecream store and watch the money roll in and micromanage cleaning up vomit or something. Games like that piss me off. In SimCity I would build a city that filled the map, but then there is nothing to do... I could destroy it but I never had the motivation to rebuild it, or replay the game. So what good is a game that I complete in 2 days and never go back to? The most recent game I played like that was Prison Architect, and that game was a huge letdown for me. I built one prison, got bored, never played it again.

So it doesn't make much sense for me to try Factorio but I'm glad I did. Clearly people who like games like this will adore Factorio, but even for picky people like me, it is good enough to love. I think there are 2 things that makes it different to all those other games. First off, there is a sandbox mode but there are campaigns in the game where you have to struggle to beat challenges set for you, and I love that. But also this game is different to all those others, because it just has so much content... I always dreamed of a SimCity that also had enemies that attacked and I would have to defend my city somehow, but they never made that. This game has that! I also dreamt of having something like Transport Tycoon but with a lot more stuff to do instead of just linking up a few icons, and this game has that too!

Basically you have an enormous map with natural deposits scattered around, iron, copper, stone, coal, trees, and water. You build an industrial empire on top of this stuff, starting by placing mines on the deposits, then set a little conveyor belt to bring those deposits to a forge to craft them into metal sheets etc, but then you have to transport those metal sheets and various other things to factories to get made into other objects. There is a surprising amount of depth with this, meaning that it takes a lot of time and effort and thought to get where you want to be, unlike most other games where you just link a coal mine with a power station and call it a day. For example here you mine copper, then make into copper sheets which can be used for some items, but some items require copper wire so you need another factory to change the sheets into copper coils/wire, then those wires are used with other materials to make circuit boards, and those are used to make other more advanced stuff. There is a large skill tree of ever better stuff that you have to research and then build, and the research requires components that some other factories have to pump out, so it is a balancing act too.

The whole factory has to be linked together with a clever network of conveyor belts and robotic arms that move stuff around, and you can instantly destroy something you made and rebuild it somewhere else, so even as a newbie you can just focus on perfecting this network. It isn't easy but that is why it is so satisfying when you finally get it to the point where it is all working how you want it, and the raw materials you have desperately needed, start flowing in and storage crates are now overflowing with them. At the same time you have to explore far away from your main area, because you are always short of something, and there are very far away deposits you can find. You control a guy who can explore on foot but you can also build a car and drive him around the map to find stuff. With distant deposits you build a rail network to transport them over long distances, so technically you need to build dozens of factories all over the place, all working together.

Also there are crazed monsters that randomly attack, so you have to defend your entire empire at the same time. They don't attack very often so it isn't a chore, and they are kinda dumb, but it adds an extra level of depth to the game, because you have to build turrets in key areas around your empire to defend it. I am still a noob at the game, only got it a few days ago, but after starting it and thinking MEH this is just gonna be like everything else, I started unlocking more and more stuff and building more and more and getting more and more addicted, and now I have lost entire days on this game. I don't even know how deep the game gets because so far I have unlocked a lot of stuff but still not everything, and there also a lot mods out there and I haven't even looked at those yet.

I suspect as always there will be limitations that piss me off, but in all those tycoon games, sim games, and everything else like that, I find the limitations in the first play session, and I know at that point that I will be getting bored of the game soon. But with this game I have played it for about 15-20 hours and I am not even close to any negative feelings about it yet. There are obvious things that could be better, the enemies for example all seem to be the same kind of creature, spikey werewolf type things that just charge at your base and eat stuff. So you build turret guns all around the perimeter and they no longer seem to be an issue. Maybe I just haven't seen how this progresses later in the game, but I suspect this is all there is in terms of actual combat. So it probably wont satisfy your Tower Defence or RTS needs, but the fact that it even has stuff like that, combined with the usual tycoon stuff, is really impressive.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We already have a thread for this. And yes, it's pure distilled autism. And awesome.
laclongquan, screenies wouldn't help if you haven't played the game or seen it in action, to anyone but the base builders, it'll look like a horrible trainwreck of a mess.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really, you can't compare them, Factorio is about industrializing the shit out of a planet for a specific end, whereas Unreal World is about survival, and the associated larp elements. There's a demo for Factorio, I think. Give that a try.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Pity post

Seriously, if it's not good enough to make you post a screenshot or something, it's not good enough for us to care~
Hm that could be arranged.. Or you could just google images it? I never heard of Unreal World. I just see this as a tycoon type game or simcity type game, but I like it more because it isn't shallow. There seem to be some assburgery type players who do weird things like fill the entire map with stuff that when you zoom out looks like a face or whatever. It could probably be compared to Minecraft in some ways. But I think stuff like that is stupid. I just like playing it like a game, for fun.

Probably the closest thing I have ever played to it would be Transport Tycoon. But this is waaaaaaay bigger and better.

Here is a screenshot

Factorio-Level02BitByAliens.png

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Started losing interest tonight :( I am up to something like 20 hours or so. I have been mostly focusing on the campaign and it has been really fun so far, but I am on a mission that wants me to make a plane, and it starting to feel like a lame chore. I built lots of pain in the ass factories to spam out research components. Then I started drilling the oil, converted that into plastics. But the plane still needs 3 other components that are all quite complex and I can't be bothered to do it :(

I also heard about Rimworld tonight. Not sure if that would be better for me or not. I think maybe these kinds of games are just not for me. Some of them I really love, but for a finite amount of time and then I get so bored.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Started losing interest tonight :( I am up to something like 20 hours or so... But the plane still needs 3 other components that are all quite complex and I can't be bothered to do it

:hmmm:

Feel free to skip the campaign and just play around in the freestyle whatever mode for a while. Or ignore it completely. Even turn off the biters if you're tired of fending them off. But if you're still not finding yourself playing until 4am trying to figure out how best to route advanced circuits through your factory past the spaghetti you made for the electric engine units because you poorly planned out the production for science pack 2, perhaps it's just not for you. And if you think you're close to figuring out the limitations of what you can do after 20 hours, trust me: you are hilariously, laughably wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom