Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2 - It's meant to be good?

laclongquan

Arcane
EPA bring MORE stuffs, which make your character too powerful, too fast. IIRC, you should be able to access EPA after Vault City/Gecko, around New Reno, meaning the time of combat shotgun and metal armor mk2. EPA give you better stuff than that if you do that area instead of running around New Reno and/or Broken Hill.

naossano

Cipher
Most of the new locations added are secondary locations (except EPA which is a pretty cool dungeon). Those might be a bit underwhelming for some, but they don't outweight main locations.
Very few side characters are added into existing locations.

But most importants, it unlock some dialogs, quests or ways to progress into existing quests that were intended, or outright already there, but not functioning, which is well worth playing it IMO.

Even the secondary location add some fresh things to those already used to play the game for decades.

laclongquan >
EPA doesn't come too early or too fast.
You can go into it whenever you want. Personnally, i tend to do Redding/EPA/Mariposa after NCR/Reno/Vault-City & before San Francisco. It makes sense, to explore the cities in relation to your path toward the GECK, and explore the south west later, once you dealt with the macguffin.

Also, the ghost disappears and is "freed" when you give her her stolen locket back and you get experience when you properly bury her remains.

How do you know those are really her remains? Did you perform a DNA test on them?

Also, if you go get NPCs - Pretty sure most of them can thrown, but the only good thrower is Sulik. Just so you know if you want to keep a theme.

I read that as "most of them can be thrown". Using Sulik as a projectile would've been pretty cool.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't know, but trying to rationalize all the retarded crap in Fallout 2 is probably not good for your health.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I miss the time when games could be taken at face value without the insistence on overanalyzing and reading too much into every fucking bit. I wish it was still the 80's. :happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Diablo

Novice
But maybe it wasnt a ghost after all. Maybe theres more to this than we taught... They can bury the bones but they cant bury the truth!
:argh::argh::argh:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Diablo why did you tag throwing? Is it because you're larping a tribal or did you read somewhere it's the worst weapon skill in Fallout?

Diablo

Novice
Why? Why not! I like throwing things at people. and besides its not that bad... I found some knives and spears(thanks for the tip Brazilian Slaughter!) and im already kicking ass.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Have fun throwing rocks and spears at power armored opponents, robots, deathclaws and other HP sponges later in the game.

There are pulse and plasma grenades, of course, but it requires wasting obscene amounts of time and money to constantly buy them, since they are expensive and you have to constantly wait for stores to restock them.

Lios

Cipher
Temple of trials is ok: you're a gypsy tribal, fight or run depending on your build.
I like how you don't get a gun inside that mount of stone ants and dirt and shit.
As a kiddo I used to kick every ant to death, then run towards scorpions, kick them too, get poisoned, heal myself with that poison cure in that tribal vase or something.
Then you have that asshole guarding the door: enough ways to bypass him. No prob.
the cinematic with the uniform was awe inspiring back then. I loved it and still do. Made me believe that "Awwwww, fuck, gears are moving! Go go GO!"

yeah looking back temple of trials could be better, but in a way i don't want it to be better, no matter how hardass this sounds if you don't have the patience to cleart the temple of trials then don't play the game. Like saying "Mortuary or the Hive is too fucked up I won't play the game more" and i understand that this example is kinda shaky.

Have fun throwing rocks and spears at power armored opponents, robots, deathclaws and other HP sponges later in the game.

There are pulse and plasma grenades, of course, but it requires wasting obscene amounts of time and money to constantly buy them, since they are expensive and you have to constantly wait for stores to restock them.

Well, by then he'll have enough skill points that Throwing won't be his only combat skill at decent levels, unless he's actively going for that. Every character can use every skill so it's not like tagging equals an entire class based around throwing. Considering how useless it is at low levels, tagging it at the beginning might is not a bad idea if you plan to ever use it at all.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
That's true, but Diablo's character building style seems quite... interesting, so I wouldn't be so sure about the viability of his combat abilities at any point of the game :M

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I assume you never tried to throw a flare into enemy eyes?

I have, but like plasma and pulse grenades, there aren't enough of them in the game to consistently rely on. Unless you like wasting a lot of time waiting for stores o restock.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't remember if you can retrieve them or not, but my point wasn't that flares aren't effective. My point was that, assuming you can't retrieve them, if throwing is your primary combat skill, there aren't enough throwing weapons around. You may feel like some throwing weapons are everywhere, but if you actually use them in every fight like you would other weapons, you'd run out of throwables really fast.

Diablo

Novice
Somberlain you dare chalange my combat abilities?!

45d590a636793a329e5eeb96237f8a1e-power-rangers-bow-before-tyrael.jpg

ALL SHALL KNEEL BEFORE DIABLO!

pippin

I miss the time when games could be taken at face value without the insistence on overanalyzing and reading too much into every fucking bit. I wish it was still the 80's. :happytrollboy:

We are not allowed to have fun anymore. :balance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom