Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2: This game has no forgiveness

laclongquan

Arcane
Okay, now that you are in the southern edge, NCR or Vault 15. You should be able to glean the general direction of NCR from V15 squatters. Go there.
Rumours about V13's location are aplenty and you prolly can chance to a correct quest. Provided that you have enough stat. Depend on your configuration, Mentats or some chems can help you have enough stats at the special encounter with V13's inhabitants. Maybe.
Once you have the GECK, you can travel back to NCR (which random encounter can still kick your ass even with gears from V13), take a caravan to New Reno, from NR to The Den or Redding, and easy travel from there. DONT travel by foot from NCR back north, because fuckign monster central, man~

Gozma

Arcane
Do aimed eyeshots, eat psycho, reload when you take instant death criticals

the_shadow

Arcane
So, after reading the advice on this thread, I decided to restart and focus more on non-combat skills. I managed to find Vault 13 without getting into one fight (which is fortunate, because I would have gotten creamed), and loaded up on a lot of decent gear, as well as recruiting five companions. Now I can hold my own against a lot of enemies, but am still getting curb stomped by the hidden raiders south of Vault City. I'm guessing they are end game enemies?

I'm having some minor annoyances. First, I've managed to get my hands on the Highwayman, but have left it in the desert because it's out of fuel. Is there any economical way to keep it running, which doesn't involve scavenging for energy cells?
I've also got Marcus (supermutant) as a follower, and he uses a chaingun as his primary weapon. It seems to be overkill for him to use it on rats, and he has a tendency to hit friendlies with it. Are there any large, focused fire weapons that would make him a more effective follower?
And finally, one of my companions (Cassidy) just up and disappeared. Is there any way to locate missing NPCs?

DraQ

Arcane
I've also got Marcus (supermutant) as a follower, and he uses a chaingun as his primary weapon. It seems to be overkill for him to use it on rats, and he has a tendency to hit friendlies with it. Are there any large, focused fire weapons that would make him a more effective follower?
Bozar.
:troll:
Actually, you can give him a heavy energy weapon such as pulse rifle.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Laser rifle should be easy to come by when you get Marcus, you can give him that. Plasma caster is also fine before you find Pulse Rifle. Just don't give him anything that can shoot multiple enemies. Marcus turning whole caravans of friendly NPCs including you/your party into bloody pasta with a minigun is one of the classic moments of Fallout 2.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I'm having some minor annoyances. First, I've managed to get my hands on the Highwayman, but have left it in the desert because it's out of fuel. Is there any economical way to keep it running, which doesn't involve scavenging for energy cells?

Scavenging for MF fuel cell and Energy cells is the joy of maintaining your ride midgame. You can buy both MF and EC in New Reno and Broken HIlls, I think. failing that, the Bazar outside of NCR is a popular market.

A very scary random encounter around NCR is Remnant of Mutant Army, with SM wielding all kind of OHSHIT weapon (even endgame) like rocket launchers. Sometimes they even carry laser rifles. Around Broken Hills, only encounter with BH militia have ghouls wielding laser (I think). The joy of midgame transportation~

Have you tuning your car with your seller yet? I think Smitty overcharge his service, but~ player gonna pay, yo~

valcik

Arcane
High Outdoorsman skill helps a lot while traveling through those dangerous southern sectors, even low-level character could make a safe trip thanks to it.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Don't be afraid to go low on endurance. Once you get a firearm and some decent armor the only thing you'll have to worry about in combat are random crits, and they'll fuck you up just the same at 3 endurance as they would at 10 endurance.

hiver

You can find plenty of energy cells it uses. And you dont need to use it all the time for every trip.

And finally, one of my companions (Cassidy) just up and disappeared. Is there any way to locate missing NPCs?
I dont think you can recruit 5 companions unless you fiddled with charisma drugs or something, and thats probably why he disappeared later on. You can check if he returned to Vault city or around the map where he disappeared, but i doubt it. No specific way to locate them, no.

DraQ

Arcane
Don't be afraid to go low on endurance. Once you get a firearm and some decent armor the only thing you'll have to worry about in combat are random crits, and they'll fuck you up just the same at 3 endurance as they would at 10 endurance.
How low END can get to remain actually practical in FOs?

I've always been partial to glass-cannon builds and tactics and this would be helpful in conserving sweet, sweet character points.
(I'm considering replaying FOs, actually.)

hiver

I always played with lowest possible End.

Too much healing items in a game devalues Endurance or any similar stat completely.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well, Pope ironmaned F2 with 2 Endurance (after on his previous run his char with 400 hp got killed by a 700 hp crit lololo). That's with Gifted.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Fallouts are finishable without any sort of minmaxin tbh. Both of the guys I played with had maxed END and had high Charisma. I played them just after joining the Codex, completely blind, and remember having little trouble. I also don't recall the timer being overly repressive, but that might be tainted memories.

granit

Scholar
Well now that you have tried the Fallout, time to give Neo Scavenger a go - it should be right up your alley.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
the graphics *suck*.

Actually it was quite a pretty game in it's day and I think it still stands up with it's own style.

...but TBH, it's not really about that, it's more the absurdity of you actually thinking you have a point, saying something like that about a game made nearly 20 years ago.

Norfleet

Well, Pope ironmaned F2 with 2 Endurance (after on his previous run his char with 400 hp got killed by a 700 hp crit lololo). That's with Gifted.
That's because the number of hitpoints you have is wholly irrelevant. I love the "Feel The Pain" crit, though, which simultaneously manages to be both understatedly snarky and sarcastically snarky, depending on whether the person feeling the pain is being critically hit for over 9000 damage, or 3 damage.

That's because the number of hitpoints you have is wholly irrelevant. I love the "Feel The Pain" crit, though, which simultaneously manages to be both understatedly snarky and sarcastically snarky, depending on whether the person feeling the pain is being critically hit for over 9000 damage, or 3 damage.
I can't express how much I HATED crits in F1. Not feeling good after reading this. I still think F2 has better potential than F1.

Still haven't played it ye though. I do have it, resting, no, pleading for me to oneday pick it up off its gog shelf.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Why the hell would you attempt to ironman a game with freak crits that can kill your character in one shot from full hp?

hiver

To experience a truly great game of course.

But thats the experience only for those that got dipped and saw the truth.

Sykar

Arcane
How low END can get to remain actually practical in FOs?

I've always been partial to glass-cannon builds and tactics and this would be helpful in conserving sweet, sweet character points.
(I'm considering replaying FOs, actually.)

I usually play with 4 End on highest difficulty non Ironman and only have to reload very rarely. I reload more for saving my followers than myself.

I always set endurance to lowest possible whenever I replay. It might lead to some more reloading at starting areas but eventually becomes a non issue. It's as much of a dump stat as charisma to me.

the_shadow

Arcane
I've just completed the main quest for Fallout 2. Overall, I've found the game a very enjoyable experience. I'm glad that some Codexers encouraged me to stick at it, because I was having a *miserable* time to begin with, and was very close to just writing off the game. The game is very difficult in the beginning if you don't have any idea what awaits you. If you've completed it once, then you have a good idea as to what skills are needed, and how to obtain good equipment early on.

I still have some gripes with the game. When I said that the graphics were shit, I didn't mean in the aesthetic sense, but in the sense that it's sometimes hard to distinguish between different items, and what can and can't be searched. A good example of this was a small locker in one of the vaults. It virtually blended in to the wall, and I would have had no idea I could search it without a walkthrough telling me so. The isometric view also causes a problem, since you can't see what containers are on the south and eastern walls without having your character 'skirt' along them, which will reveal items in a very small area around the PC. It would have been nice to be able to press a key which would outline searchable containers for you (eg. Baldur's Gate II and Neverwinter Nights).

I stand by my complaint about distinguishing between NPCs. One poster pointed out the fact that the sheriff in NCR looks exactly like all the other policemen. Another example is a reliant you need to collect a debt from. There are about a dozen reliants in the same area, and they all look exactly the same as the quest NPC. Again, being able to press a key to display names about NPCs would be nice.

The final base was a bit of a let down for me. You can release a toxin in to the air which kills all the civilians, but you don't get any sort of reaction from the soldiers. You need to blow up the generator, but it's unclear which structure is the generator, and even then, you don't actually place the bomb near it. You can kill a certain important NPC with an overdose of stimpacks, but how the hell would you know that unless you had a walkthrough? And why the hell would he stand still while you inject him with 8 stimpacks?

Fallout 2 is a lot like Gothic 2. They are both fantastic games which are hard as hell in the beginning, and have shit final dungeons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom