Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 2D Online!

Not really a mod, it just uses a couple of the resource files from FO2. The Critters.dat file and one other. Anyway, there have been a number of topics on it over the past couple years in its various stages of development.

I haven't played it for about a half a year or so, but it's a good game if you're careful. The first while is *tough*, because there are people who will kill you at the drop of a hat. But once you manage to scrounge up the materials for a tent, and establish a base away from town to store stuff, you can carefully grow your avatar into a respectable fighter. It's going to take a shit load of luck, though. You never know when the next group might come into town and decide to kill everyone.

...And reading this wiki of yours, it's even harder now.

Harvesting time-outs are apparently several times longer, and grow lengthier with each item you get, they're in more out of the way places, and restrictions...shit. It already took a long ass time just to get enough to start making basic equipment, and that was with a number of gimmes that probably don't exist anymore. And if nobody ganked you for your stuff.

So much for being able to exist without a gang.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
How was griefing when You played? And is there perma death? I am reading the wiki but hard to tell from that how the world works...

Malakal said:
How was griefing when You played? And is there perma death? I am reading the wiki but hard to tell from that how the world works...

You respawn, but anything you had on you stays on your old corpse. Some folks would kill you just to grab what you had, it was effective if they figured you for a crafter. That's why crafting stations were dangerous in towns without guards. Or even some that did, like NCR.

That's why getting enough material to build a tent in the wastes is so important. You can store stuff there that you'd rather not lose. Limited space, though, as it should be. For more extended options you need an actual base, and those run in the tens or even hundreds of thousands of caps.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
No permadeath, tons of griefers, tons of high-level characters, grinding, weird rules. Completely un-Fallout-y.

Lothers

Scholar
Pretty cool, I'm playing it for quite long, but after last server wipe my high level character was gone, those fuckers. But anyway it's getting better, they are implementing 3D models from Van Buren for critters now. It's still beta though.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I'd been playing since the beginning of the final, 3rd open beta (or the first one if you count 2238 version only) and had a longer break only to come back into play recently.

It's too late for you but I think the best way to play the game is starting with almost no knowledge the game mechanics (besides the stuff that is obvious for anyone who's ever played Fallout), being lost in the wasteland, learning how to survive, avoid being killed every five minutes, how the importance of different skills changed from original games, how the crafting system works, how you can level up and gain any money while you start with almost no equipment and easily lose anything you gained, which towns are (relatively) safe... When you master the game, it loses a lot of its chaotic, anarchistic charm.

For the same reason I advice not to join any gang right after starting playing. It becomes too easy to grab an armor, a gun, some ammo and level up when you have other people supporting you. Of course, when you are not a newbie

Basically, it's a MMO (omg, lol, you stupid, of cuz it's a MMO! (shut up, motherfucker, let me continue)) and despite being called a beta, it's still rather in an alpha phase.

The first means it's gameplay on its own is rather mediocre, you'll have to grind to achieve anything and most of the fun comes from interacting with other players, chatting, being killed for lulz, showing how cool you are because you have a combat armor and a plasma rifle (which you lose in a minute after that because there are other players who'd like to get that shit), forming a gang, travelling in a group and terrorize the wasteland...

The latter... well, there's not much content at the moment and most of the work is concentrated on balancing the current build and fighting with bugs. For example, there was a decent sneaking system but the implementation of FOV caused some huge lags and until the problem is solved, we are playing with some fucked mechanics that allow good sneaking build becoming almost invisible. Recently we were trying to finish the only one (!) quest that is designed for a group of players. It was quite fun, despite the fact we failed hard - or maybe because of it :D - but the game needs much more such content.

But it has a lot of cool features like open PvP, full loot, factions system, bases, crafting system, graphic, music and sounds from Fallout, improved SPECIAL.

If you have any detailed questions, it's best to visit #2238 channel on irc.forestnet.org. And if you are there, you can also come to #rpg-codex which is a headquarters of The Repo Men - a gang created by some of th Codexers (currently only me and Redeye are playing) and some of the ex-Unity members (gang from a previous beta, its other are now devs and GMs).

No permadeath, tons of griefers, tons of high-level characters, grinding, weird rules. Completely un-Fallout-y.

Josh Sawyer disagrees.

In a way, its Ultima Online-like griefer brutality seems to be pretty appropriate for the Fallout setting. At its core, Fallout is about humanity's limitless passion for snuffing the life out of people for any and every reason. Gangs of assholes stomping another player's brahmin for profit and amusement seems to be a lot more fitting than farming mobs of geckos.

And, as an addition, some pics I found on my HD and ImageShack account and decided to share:

GM shitting all over our base and changing our shapes.

Hmm, I'm not sure when it was taken. Probably some pre-wipe massacre or creative use of (now resolved) bug that allowed to make guards go mad.

Being owned by Ruskies.

Don't remember what was that too. Either some GM controlled event or somebody gathered so much ghoul slaves. Now the number of slaves/mercs/brahmins you can have is restricted. :x

Zombie attack on New Reno.

It's us! The coolest nazis in the game!

A result of attacking slaves who were protecting a base. Notice a Codexian easter-egg.

New Reno boxing night.

Terrorism in NCR is rampant (aka Redeye is fascinated with explosives).

New reputation system. I have no idea why almost nobody likes me. I try to be a nice guy.

Tails

Arbiter
So far FOnline can't offer nothing else then rather grind on PvE, PvP and the most simple fetch quests. Most of those cool features get boring pretty fast, especially *new* crafting system, (at least the one before the wipe), requiring Workbench to do the most things, even the most simple ones. In the end it was pretty disappointing, since it took not longer then week to get mats for CA/BCA. I hope they fixed craft in current releases somehow. Still it's fun to play with friends for some time, but until the game won't get proper task, don't expect from game too much.

The main reason I stop playing was adding the pointless Shader (really, it takes more resources of PC then it's really worth), which drop my FPS rate to 10 from 60. Of course, no one think about adding option to turn it off so laptop users could in fact enjoy the game.

Tails

Arbiter
There are, but simple like bring item to NPC etc. Nothing involving combat, charisma, unless they added something new recently.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
The tanker quest is the only interesting one I know. It involves using some skills (lockpicking/traps for opening doors, repairing pumps, hacking a computer), exploration, looking for key-cards and items needed to resolve puzzles and pretty neat encounters - it's the only closed space you can fight centaurs and floaters which becomes much more difficult than typical run-and-gun you are experiencing fighting them outside.

I think there will be a quest for obtaining a bunker as a base soon. It's listed at the wiki but at the moment the only way you can get this base is by paying a ridiculous amount of caps.

Tails

Arbiter
Hey Jim Cojones, how to get FOnline 2238 working now? The Client still is PoS, since after Update I get only ERROR screen (aka TLA loading screens & stuff) and *old tricks* to get 2238 running didn't work out. I can't believe that they didn't fix this rather old issue.

Tails

Arbiter
Hm the server seems to be down now, this could be the reason... still, before the update I could see without issues FOnline 2238 menu heh. Thanks anyway.

Secretninja

Cipher
Was fun for a while, but died due to lag and lost shit too much, and my team mate killing me for my metal armor mkii was the last straw.

Also, what is this about people killing you at the drop of a hat? You must have been really lucky to meet anyone who waited so long.

Tails

Arbiter
Secretninja said:
Was fun for a while, but died due to lag and lost shit too much, and my team mate killing me for my metal armor mkii was the last straw.
That reminds me when once I was in Hub torturing (breaking limbs without killing) some fookin thief, when suddenly a Sniper took me down (it was during Sniping outrage, when Guards didn't react) and horde of blunubs run towards my corpse to get loot. Good times.

It seems they improved the Shader, now the game works pretty fine. Still you need Workbench to make a god damn rope...

Lexx

Cipher
Malakal said:
So there it is, some kind of mod for FO2 enabling MMO gameplay.

This is wrong. FOnline is not a mod, more a indie game, which uses graphic and sound assets from Fallout 2. The engine is 100% written from scratch and uses nothing else except graphics and sounds from Fallout 2. Additionally, it is much easier to work with the FOnline engine, as we don't have any real limitations. Everyone who made or tried to make a Fallout 2 mod so far, knows that there are a lot limitations, like color palette or the scripting system, interface changes, etc. pp. With the FOnline engine, none of these exist. You can even use 3d models (which we do already- some of the original Van Buren critters, like radtoad or desert stalker).

It is also possible to build full scalled non-Fallout games with this engine. Even retail games, if you wish to. It is only needed to delete all Fallout related material.

Tails said:
There are [Quests], but simple like bring item to NPC etc. Nothing involving combat, charisma, unless they added something new recently.

This is wrong to some point. We already have some quests, especially with the last wipe, we introduced some bigger content update. I've made most (nearly all) of the then introduced quests and all of them feature the use of various skills, such as speech, repair, barter, etc. Also your SPECIAL-stats have an influence here and there. It is true, that we have many (well, we don't have that much) fetch or "fetch-like" quests, but this is mostly due to the fact, that you can create these things faster. And to fill the world in a MMO-like game, it's sadly one of the first steps.

...And reading this wiki of yours, it's even harder now.

IMO, the game became much easier since the last wipe. As example, I've manged it, to level up my character to level 6, without dying once. I just have done my quests and some other stuff.

Tails

Arbiter
Lexx said:
This is wrong to some point. We already have some quests, especially with the last wipe, we introduced some bigger content update. I've made most (nearly all) of the then introduced quests and all of them feature the use of various skills, such as speech, repair, barter, etc. Also your SPECIAL-stats have an influence here and there. It is true, that we have many fetch or "fetch-like" quests, but this is mostly due to the fact, that you can create these things faster. And to fill the world in a MMO-like game, it's sadly one of the first steps.
Last time I played was before previous wipe, that's why I said "unless it changed lately", good to see I was wrong :) I understand that fetch-like quest are easier to fill so I don't bitch about it. I just hope in later development you will add some task on level of Fallout 1/2 games, if it's possible with the engine.

IMO, the game became much easier since the last wipe. I've manged it, to level up my character to level 6, without dying once. I just have done my quests and some other stuff.
Before you put the Workbench requirement I could make easily 10 lvls without killing a thing :> I miss making ropes in the wilderness with a faithful Brahmin by my side.

Btw. are you still working on SD 2, Lexx?

Lexx

Cipher
Yes, I am still working on SD 2 and even SD 3. In the moment, I concentrate more on them, because I need a break from MMO stuff.

Topher

Cipher
I'm messing around with getting it running on my new system right now, fingers crossed. Anybody here playing right now?

Damn now I keep getting an error "can't find master.dat file"... any clue?

I got it, seems like my master.dat file wasn't complete because I didn't do a full install, looks like a simple fix.

Nope my master.dat must be corrupt or something because I can't copy it from the disk manually but it seems to read from the disk just fine in order to run the client.

Anyway to delete a character so that you can use the name again?

Lexx

Cipher
You can use ~deleteself [password] to delete your character. More commands can be found here.

Topher

Cipher
Thanks... now if I could just get a small group together.

BTW, my character is Topher, I'm just starting out.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
can't connect to server. my net connection has to go thru a proxy, and i set that up correctly in the options, but i dont think the updater is set up to use a proxy because it says it cant connect. which may be the reason I cant connect to a server in game (files not up to date?)

how can i update the game without going through updater.exe? yep, ive got the latest version from the website too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom