Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 is overbashed here

Repressed Homosexual
My main reason for finding some decent qualities in Fallout 3 in spite of the other flaws is that I can't fault people for trying to be imaginative.

In these years of endless Call of Duty and Gears of War clones, can you truly hate people who although they make a lot of mistakes and dumb things down, genuinely try to come up with unique situations that, although sometimes awkward, will ultimately surprise you? I remember in the original press release Todd Howard was saying that making Fallout 3 was a labor of love, and I believe it.

I just can't hate people for giving more than a copy of the tendsetting games du jour with all the features copied and genuinely caring about making their dreams come to life and delivering something truly original. In my view gaming is the best medium for making boyhood dreams and ideas of being heroes and exploring worlds of wonder come true. It's the deepest desire of everyone here.

can you truly hate people who although they make a lot of mistakes and dumb things down, genuinely try to come up with unique situations that, although sometimes awkward, will ultimately surprise you? I remember in the original press release Todd Howard was saying that making Fallout 3 was a labor of love, and I believe it.

I just can't hate people for giving more than a copy of the tendsetting games du jour with all the features copied and genuinely caring about making their dreams come to life and delivering something truly original. In my view gaming is the best medium for making boyhood dreams and ideas of being heroes and exploring worlds of wonder come true. It's the deepest desire of everyone here.

Should we castrate handicapped people with Down syndrome and such so their "inferiority" would be relatively contained and surpressed? Should we condone it? Or allow them to breed rampantly and fulfill their dreams whatever those might be, no matter the consequences? Should we criticize it? What's the right thing to do?

:(

I'll just stick with simply bashing Failout 3 for being a turd.

EDIT: Speaking of which

thesoup said:
4ab3a0c1ac78558f3d79338af6b3d6f4.png

:kfc:
From here.

God I almost forgot how inanely retarded Bethtard proles were

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
My main reason for finding some decent qualities in Fallout 3 in spite of the other flaws is that I can't fault people for trying to be imaginative.

In these years of endless Call of Duty and Gears of War clones, can you truly hate people who although they make a lot of mistakes and dumb things down, genuinely try to come up with unique situations that, although sometimes awkward, will ultimately surprise you? I remember in the original press release Todd Howard was saying that making Fallout 3 was a labor of love, and I believe it.

I get what you're saying and I don't doubt that Bethesda care. They are clearly passionate and, as developers, have their talents (as well as their lack of them). But, all the passion in the world won't get you far when the games they put out themselves have so many obvious issues that are often not the result of, say, budgetary issues or rushed release schedules, but an obvious lack of design tact, planning, and disregard towards finer points of RPG development and storytelling/world design that they once held a mastery over in games like Morrowind.

Let me put it this way. If Half-Life 3 came out and it was really crazy and original, with genre-bending mechanics and a great art style, but it just was not fun to play at all, and showed none of Valve's prior design talents that made the first two games good, would you give them a free pass, or would you say "man, Valve screwed up bad, they're just getting worse and worse"? What about Diablo III, which had some interesting new ideas but failed to execute and is now on life support via continuous patches to reverse the continually-falling player counts? What if it wasn't Valve, or Blizzard, but random developer X or Y you might not have an emotional or nostalgic attachment to?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Lol, this has to be a troll I give you :4/5:for being creative and getting me to reply.

Bethesda tried really hard guys! Don't make fun of them! They've done so much for you!

God I almost forgot how inanely retarded Bethtard proles were

Then again, 90% of youtube comments are a window into the abyss. This is something I received yesterday.

TheTuberguy1000 said:
fuck you you are just a bastarrd who wants to see megaman series die so when your friends see you play it you wouldnt be embarrased and claim you were being nostalgic

GaemzDood

Educated
If Fallout 3 didn't fuck the lore, get dumbed down, was designed for PC & not Xbox 360, didn't have level scaling, had good writing, had some color besides brown and grey, and didn't involves popping moles, I'd like it; as it stands, the best thing about it is that it doesn't have regenerating health. Plus, the skills barely matter since the levels are scaled; hence why I don't consider Fallout 3 to be an RPG.
fall1.jpg

x6a3d.jpg

As seen here, Fallout 3 makes you a genius while Fallout 1 & 2 actually have skills that matter.

Shiki

Learned
Nothing about Failout 3 made sense, starting with the whole setting; Even if it was hit by nukes harder than other parts of the States, there is nothing that justify such a low level of civilization after so much time. The Fallout series aren't so much about the post-apocalyptic theme itself as they are about the rebuilding of civilization. Fallout 1 had a more civilized world than Fallout 3 for fuck's sake. Fallout 1 was all about the struggle of civilization trying to make its way back. Fallout 3 didn't even feature one bit of that struggle, because there was absolutely nothing that could start a civilization in that crazy setting. Compare the way New Vegas handles stuff like farming, getting water, food, to the world of Fallout 3. It's a wonder why Megaton didn't starve to death, sure there were merchants traveling here and there but they couldn't possibly feed a whole city of losers that didn't produce anything of value.

And nearly all of the Fallout 3 world has been beaten with the "Crazy" stick. Fallout always had a bit of craziness here and there, and it's ok, and fun, if it's just one part of a the whole. But everything in FO3 is crazy. The people at megaton are crazy and retarded. The people at Tenpenny tower are crazy, delusional and don't even give one fuck about sustainability. The fake-vampires are fucking demented. Little Town is retarded as fuck, as is Big Town. It's really hard to take that game seriously. I think this is the worst game made by Bethesda, even worse than Oblivion, because Oblivion was more coherent and made more sense than that random crap. If a game was ever made by throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, this is it. Random as fuck.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I think the game's setting would have really benefited from being set like 10 years after the bombs fell. That would explain the terrible condition the entire area is in. It also wouldn't make me feel out of place when there are working computers everywhere or red cross camps 200 years later.

I think the game's setting would have really benefited from being set like 10 years after the bombs fell. That would explain the terrible condition the entire area is in. It also wouldn't make me feel out of place when there are working computers everywhere or red cross camps 200 years later.

I tend to agree, 10-20 years would have made sense and probably they had it that way initially. But they wanted to shoe-horn the BoS and Enclave with the Mutants and jacked up the entire game. And if they went 10-30 years after the bombs fell, I think the game would have been viewed in a much better light.

DraQ

Arcane
If Fallout 3 didn't fuck the lore, get dumbed down, was designed for PC & not Xbox 360, didn't have level scaling, had good writing, had some color besides brown and grey, and didn't involves popping moles, I'd like it; as it stands, the best thing about it is that it doesn't have regenerating health. Plus, the skills barely matter since the levels are scaled; hence why I don't consider Fallout 3 to be an RPG.
fall1.jpg

x6a3d.jpg

As seen here, Fallout 3 makes you a genius while Fallout 1 & 2 actually have skills that matter.
Actually, FO3 seemed to handle low INT dialogue quite admirably.

:smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
fall1.jpg

x6a3d.jpg

So you're saying that FO3 didn't factor in the character skill in dialogue checks, but the player skill?

DraQ

Arcane
fall1.jpg

x6a3d.jpg

[Intelligence] So you're saying that FO3 didn't factor in the character skill in dialogue checks, but the player skill?

Exactly.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
fall1.jpg

x6a3d.jpg

:excellent:

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
What the fuck codex. New Vegas is equally shit like F3. If not even fucking worse. The only thing it's better at, are some writing pieces, but it's all overflooded by SHIT gameplay, shit level design, shit colour palette, shit characters (howdy there partner), shit quests, shit everything. While I liked some locations in F3 and looting interestingly done places, and hated everything else, with that fucking Megaton city (I was pissed that even their nuke didn't kill everyone there); I hated absolutely every minute of New Vegas I played. What's the point of few good lines if you have to swim in the sea of shit covered and mixed with shit. There was absolutely 0 interesting loot places, and when you hit one - it's done as soon as it started. I think they're even smaller than the Morrowind's slave caves. Hardcore mode? Just carry a shitload of water and iguanas on sticks and enjoy your goddamn hp contests with deathclaws. Hit a high ground and vats it to death for a half an hour. Fuck Bethesda for F3, but fuck Obsidian even more for New Vegas. So fucking glad I got it at the bay and didn't spent a penny on this pile of turd.

EG

Nullified
What the fuck codex. New Vegas is equally shit like F3. If not even fucking worse. The only thing it's better at, are some writing pieces, but it's all overflooded by SHIT gameplay, shit level design, shit colour palette, shit characters (howdy there partner), shit quests, shit everything. While I liked some locations in F3 and looting interestingly done places, and hated everything else, with that fucking Megaton city (I was pissed that even their nuke didn't kill everyone there); I hated absolutely every minute of New Vegas I played. What's the point of few good lines if you have to swim in the sea of shit covered and mixed with shit. There was absolutely 0 interesting loot places, and when you hit one - it's done as soon as it started. I think they're even smaller than the Morrowind's slave caves. Hardcore mode? Just carry a shitload of water and iguanas on sticks and enjoy your goddamn hp contests with deathclaws. Hit a high ground and vats it to death for a half an hour. Fuck Bethesda for F3, but fuck Obsidian even more for New Vegas. So fucking glad I got it at the bay and didn't spent a penny on this pile of turd.

You tell 'em, lil' fella!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Go get 'em, tiger!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath

Oh, wow.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
eastwood.jpg

Can't leave New Vegas fagpraising just like that, hear me saying decline scums.

Black

Arcane
Holy shit!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom