Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4: New Vegas - remake in FO4 engine

Xeon

Augur
Looked a little bit at the earlier posts and this doesn't seem to have been posted, was out a while ago. About the import of FNV to the Fallout 4 engine or something.

Comte

Looked a little bit at the earlier posts and this doesn't seem to have been posted, was out a while ago. About the import of FNV to the Fallout 4 engine or something.

Ah yes another total conversion mod that will never be finished. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Xeon

Augur
I am kinda optimistic about this, people saying Bethesda is supporting the modders fully in their discord so there might be a chance but yeah, almost 99% of conversions get dropped eventually so who the fuck knows.

The skill menu seems to have turned to a standalone mod for Fallout 4 but will probably need an overhaul mod or something to make use of it since FO4 doesn't have skills except the shitty perks system for everything.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Besides Tutu/Baldur Gate Trilogy have any of these game to game conversions ever been finished?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I really like new vegas.... but it always ran like shit for me, even modded.

So id like a better working version, but where are my mods then?

Shit this will probably never happen......

Perkel

Arcane
Neat that they're trying to remake the game with all the leveling systems and whatnot but if it's not entirely recreated I don't really see the point aside from the 64bit engine, some prettier graphics and worse performance.

Fallout3/FNV player movement, shooting etc sucks fucking ass (no mods can fix this) and it has horrible km+m controls, 60fps bug. If they plan to completely convert it properly imo it is worth it.

Graphics eyecandy is just minor part imo.

They seem to convert all mechanics (like DT/DR, skills etc) so it is incline type of coversion imo.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be honest, this is exactly the kind of thing where Bethesda’s paid mods scam would actually add tremendous value. Pay the modders a fucking salary and then charge for the end product; I’d gladly fork over the money.

Honestly, I’m shocked Bethesda isn’t doing this itself. They could sell the F4 to New Vegas conversion at close to full price. I’d certainly pay for a better looking F:NV with better gunplay. My guess is that it could make millions if they did this in house.

Leitz

Learned
This is some Black Mesa kinda bullshit. Think about the freedom a total conversion offers, I dunno, maybe we just copy another game.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, I’m shocked Bethesda isn’t doing this itself. They could sell the F4 to New Vegas conversion at close to full price. I’d certainly pay for a better looking F:NV with better gunplay. My guess is that it could make millions if they did this in house.

It would be the ultimate 'fuck you' from Bethesda to Obsidian.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But what's the point... New Vegas didn't have anything interesting to shoot at. No dungeons, no monsters, nothing. Not that Fallout 4 is much different, but still... Besides, the crap gimmicks that are the selling point of FO4 like 'laser musket' and power armor (as depicted in FO4) does not exist in Mohave.

Other weapons? Have fun shooting that cowboy repeater, this time with 'modern FPS crosshair.'

Of course by know I believe this kind of modding doesn't really care about anything than having a portfolio for applying at big studios but similarly I enjoy bitching at art student's final projects. But I dunno, good luck to them if that's really their aim.

As a side note: First time I played New Vegas I just punched everything with 'unarmed' weapons, subsequent playthrough I tried guns and other crap just so I didn't get bored.

Seems like a good idea to me. I liked the way power armour worked in Fallout 4 and the gun mechanics were better. But I'd rather that didn't come at the expense of the RPG mechanics. This mod is adding those back in. I'd rather not have to install about 6 or 7 different mods in order to get New Vegas stable, playable and looking nice graphically.

At the end of the day, Skywind, Skyblivion, and Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodil are all ticking along nicely. But taking years to make on no money for a hobby is proof of a scam.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
If this FNV mod can work alongside other mods. The big benefit would be a more stable game.
Fallout 4 / Skyrim Enhanced Edition engines can handle mods much better without crashing.

Also the gameplay / graphics are a pretty big improvement over Fallout 3 Era.

I look forward to the in-drama that will inevitably start, leading to someone stealing the project and going to patreon.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Seems like all this talk is moot - the apparent Fallout 3 remake in the Fallout 4 engine shutdown for legal reasons - couldn't use the voice files from FO3. Doubtful the same thing won't happen with this New Vegas mod.

I dgaf about the Fallout 3 mod, but it'd be a shame if this one goes.

Seems like all this talk is moot - the apparent Fallout 3 remake in the Fallout 4 engine shutdown for legal reasons - couldn't use the voice files from FO3. Doubtful the same thing won't happen with this New Vegas mod.

I dgaf about the Fallout 3 mod, but it'd be a shame if this one goes.
The New Vegas mod is re-recording all the audio for precisely that reason.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter

That is probably going to be one of this mod's weakest points (if they get it finished to begin with)

Unless the modder or the team has access to some good voice recording equipment and are able to find people who can actually voice act, and have experience doing so, the voice actor cast is going to consist of a lot of people using their headsets and perhaps the occasional better microphone to speak in the voices.
Doing voices well is quite a task and a challenge. I pretty much expect most of the voices to be devoid or drained of any emotion as the person is reading from the script in front of him/her, if not really exaggerating on it.

That is probably going to be one of this mod's weakest points (if they get it finished to begin with)

Unless the modder or the team has access to some good voice recording equipment and are able to find people who can actually voice act, and have experience doing so, the voice actor cast is going to consist of a lot of people using their headsets and perhaps the occasional better microphone to speak in the voices.
Doing voices well is quite a task and a challenge. I pretty much expect most of the voices to be devoid or drained of any emotion as the person is reading from the script in front of him/her, if not really exaggerating on it.
There is an entire community of amateur voice actors for Bethesda games. They do really professional work for mods like Skywind and Vigilant. It's called the Skyrim Voice Alliance.

Irata

Scholar
You never know, man. I've seen projects with their own custom assets based on the company IP get C&Ded many times over the years.

That's why the got C&D'd. Just because you created your own lightsaber and Stormtrooper assets from scratch doesn't mean you're not infringing. For some reason modders never learn how to make "spiritual" sequels. Have your Space Samurai with their lightning swords (have the electricity on a metal blade) fighting the evil Deathbringer Soldiers.
Technically "stormtrooper" as a name in the general sense shouldn't be protected, but in this context it is. Boom. No C&D. Maybe they don't learn because this gives them an excuse to never release it. "Drat! We got C&D'd! Sorry fans!"

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
They do, that's true - but the difference between voice acting for a quest mod and a full game are two different things. That's going to add so much more work to the mix.

If they are going to carry through they should just release it w/out any voice acting. Someone out there who doesn't care about the legality of the matter will patch it back in.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
DYUWU_cVoAA7lvZ.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
sure needed that comic sans font over the doors, i just couldn't make out what the logos with the exact name of the mod just under the comic sans said.

Perkel

Arcane
IT will be no problem removing those fanmade voices with files from FNV.
Also Capital Wasteland didn't get ANY C&D letter. They did it on their own.

Imo from what i have seen they only did some assets and barely any programming work (which is far more important than just assets creation) so instead of just shutting down project because they are weak or they didn't puck up manu people they instead talked how they are scared of C&D giving weak reason.

On other hand FNV conversion seems to focus on hard stuff like systems, proper dialog tree implementation, reputation etc first then they will go into assets creation. They also from what i understand had more time to prepare stuff, plan etc. than capital wasteland and their had their own drama few months before where most of the team quit or something and other people picked up work.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant
Literally the first thing any submod will do is port over the voices
Yeah, so why even take the time and effort to get new voice actors? When you have limited resources, especially in a free modding environment, you should be prioritizing better.

Although I will say, playing New Vegas again currently, I forgot how many characters share voice actors. If they are able to hire anyone good, it might be cool to hear things with fresh actors - with the ability to port over the ones that were great (YesMan, Caesar, etc).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom