Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Gerrard

Arcane
I remember there was some guy making a mod for NV that basically replaced the renderer and added full dynamic shadows (like they did for Morrowind I guess?), did that ever go anywhere?

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know ENB can inject a post processing effect that renders shadows based on screenspace values.
Of course, being screenspace, it's very inaccurate and you don't see much of anything unless your nose is quite literally in the object that's meant to cast the shadows.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there any chance that someday New Vegas could be ported to OpenMorrowind?

Is there any chance that OpenMorrowind will ever actually be finished (or close to it)?

...worse AI than the radiant retards from Oblividerp.
I know this is just one of those Codex threads where the whole point is to be edgier than the guy above you, but FFS man.
For all of FO3's sins (and it has MANY to answer for), pretty much the nicest thing you can say about it is that it improves on Oblivion in every way.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
TBH, if I had to play one or the other, it would be Oblivion. At least Oblivion has more than one color in it, and while the story is painfully generic it doesn't have anything quite so stupid as Fallout 3's vampires, Little Lamplight and that fucking ending.

It's been seven years, Codex. The rest of the internet is already doing nostalgia threads about FO3. Let it go.

Funny enough, many of the non-"hardcore gaming" sites I frequent have threads like this. They almost all unamiously turn into New Vegas circlejerks within a few pages/posts, with a few folks fighting the good fight with their voice to champion Fallout 1/2.

Maybe "we" have had some influence, or maybe people are more receptive to good games than our dour, pessimistic worldview suggests.

Who knows?

For all of FO3's sins (and it has MANY to answer for), pretty much the nicest thing you can say about it is that it improves on Oblivion in every way.

Dunno about that.

While Fallout 3 had some good quest design and pillaged a much better, more logical character system from Interplay's works, it generally had weaker core gameplay than Oblivion. At least in TES:IV there was some systemic depth beyond a bare-bones shooter with a power-shot cloaked in damage-reduction. Things like spells, spellmaking, and alchemy offer a whole lot more than Fallout 3 can boast of.

Edit: Of course, this is like deciding whether castration is preferable to having one's eyes gouged out.

Sykar

Arcane
...worse AI than the radiant retards from Oblividerp.
I know this is just one of those Codex threads where the whole point is to be edgier than the guy above you, but FFS man.

Same level of turd for me. Both uninstalled after 2-3 hours and never touched them again. At least I got Fallout 3 for 5 bucks, I bought Oblividerp at full price and it still collects dust in my cellar.

:negative:

Lemming42

Arcane
The AI is horrible in both games but Oblivion does just about take the lead. In Fallout 3 people have to wake up at a certain time, walk around a set space for about 18 hours and then go to bed at a set time and they can mostly handle it, save for the occasional fucking idiot who sprints out of their town and runs across the world map for no reason, never to return.

Oblivion people have to face challenges such as going to shops, bars, visiting other people and moving between several cells and Radiant AI just straight up can't handle it. Not to mention the ridiculous conversations which seem to have been totally axed in Fallout 3 because they were too much even for Todd to handle. Then there's stuff like the hunters who go after deer and, when one of their party picks up the Deer Meat, the rest mistake him for a deer and hunt him until the entire hunting party is wiped out.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Then there's stuff like the hunters who go after deer and, when one of their party picks up the Deer Meat, the rest mistake him for a deer and hunt him until the entire hunting party is wiped out.

:lol: Didn't know that one.

There's also the Imperial Legion Rangers, whose patrol routes sometimes overlap with Imperial Legion Soldiers. The rangers will hunt deer, which the soldiers interpret as an unprovoked assault. (well, they are technically correct)

OB-npc-Imperial_Legion_Forester_Fight.jpg

Oh, and one of my favorite rumours.

7SVhSK.jpg

tumblr_inline_mkan76FYEq1qz4rgp.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom