Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

WOOOooo, official high texture pack coming in a little bit. And all you need to experience it is an extra 58 GB of space on your hard drive.

http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-arrives-next-week-for-pc/

gAgoE46Zd794JBHSpyWAKP.png

Zerginfestor

Learned
instead of fucking up the textures like they did in Skyrim, they could do something like TWI did and..oh I don't know...maybe add more fucking weapons? Perks? Monsters? Oh wait, I forgot, that's too much 'work' for a huge company.

Friday.13

Educated
There still lots of bugs in this game even unofficial patch can't fix, and yet they believe release a high texture pack will be more helpful.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
60gb and these textures still look like shit ! why they can't even make textures? modders make higher quality lones and they don't weight as much

Epsilon

Cipher
There still lots of bugs in this game even unofficial patch can't fix, and yet they believe release a high texture pack will be more helpful.
It is. Anything relating to visuals gives a lot of free press coverage, which can make you sell more of an old game.
The average person is just shallow and superficial like that, they wouldn't care about a new 'superpatch' that fixes all the bugs - which is impossible anyway. And it's not about pleasing the people who have already given you money that matter, it's the ones that haven't yet.
These are just the top articles coming up when you search for "fallout 4 high resolution textures" on google.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/30/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-official/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-high-res-texture-pack-coming-to-pc-ps4-p/1100-6447385/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3163...make-even-the-brawniest-gaming-pcs-sweat.html
http://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-4-high-resolution-texture-pack-arrives-next-week-for-pc/
http://www.techspot.com/news/67965-fallout-4-get-high-res-texture-pack-pc.html
http://kotaku.com/youll-need-a-powerful-pc-to-pull-off-fallout-4s-hi-rez-1791777510
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...and-pc-high-resolution-texture-pack-next-week
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/fallout-high-resolution-textures-ps4-pro/

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's no real surprise, Bethesda is just inept the extreme. Remember how many polygons those regular rocks had in Oblivion? Or what a poor job they did with wrapping textures properly? I imagine Skyrim high-rez texture pack wasn't much better either because they probably just ran everything through the upscaler or something and called it a day.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bethesda just pushed version 1.9 into beta, so the F4SE guys will probably have to start from scratch yet again.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
We don't use texture compression because that would reduce the quality.

Think about it: if you were compressed, would that reduce your quality? An overwhelming majority of people would likely answer: YES, IT WOULD. We really care about our graphics at Bethesda and want them to be the best quality, unlike other companies that don't give their graphics the treatment they deserve.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

Epsilon

Cipher

Gopher said:
RPGs are extremely popular and they sell extremely well, and I have to tell you now. Games like Fallout 4 were about as mainstream as you could get. I mean you could argue that Fallout when it originally came out was a bit of a niche game, mostly because not that many people knew about it's existence. Although even then I'd say it was reasonably popular. Fallout 3 changed that, it kinda made it a little more mainstream a little better known.
But by the time Fallout 4 came out, Fallout may well have been one of the most well known franchise expected series that has ever been out.

As RPGs go Fallout had become so mainstream everybody knew about it. It was the epitomy of tripple-a mainstreamyness they didn't need to make it any more mainstream for "RPG gamers". It wasn't too complicated or too niche for "RPG gamers".
And if your argument is, well they tried to make it a shooter because they thought they could sell more as a shooter than as an RPG. I want to know where you're getting your figures from, and why you think trying to sell something everybody's expecting an RPG from is going to do better if you make it into a shooter. I don't see the logic behind that.
All they had to do to make this game sell was make it a Fallout game, and the expectations from the previous games; Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and even Skyrim would make the game sell. So I don't buy any of these arguments. They did not have to dumb anything down, they did not have to change the genre from RPG to shooter. They did not have to do anything to make this game sell, beyond making it a Fallout game.
A far more logical argument is they made these changes because they thought people would like them more. They listened to the criticisms people had been throwing at all their games; Elder Scrolls and Fallout. And they tried to address them.

:nocountryforshitposters:

vnon1z6.jpg

:timcain:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Dissecting Feargus' younger brother:
As RPGs go Fallout had become so mainstream everybody knew about it. It was the epitomy of tripple-a mainstreamyness they didn't need to make it any more mainstream for "RPG gamers". It wasn't too complicated or too niche for "RPG gamers".
True, but a company has got to grow. Staying put makes you a bad capitalist.

And if your argument is, well they tried to make it a shooter because they thought they could sell more as a shooter than as an RPG. I want to know where you're getting your figures from, and why you think trying to sell something everybody's expecting an RPG from is going to do better if you make it into a shooter. I don't see the logic behind that.

Fallout 3 is already a mediocre RPG; people liked it as a LARPing sandbox, not an RPG. It would make sense to listen to customer feedback and incorporate the elements people liked while removing the elements people disliked (i.e. RPG elements)

All they had to do to make this game sell was make it a Fallout game, and the expectations from the previous games; Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas and even Skyrim would make the game sell. So I don't buy any of these arguments. They did not have to dumb anything down, they did not have to change the genre from RPG to shooter They did not have to do anything to make this game sell, beyond making it a Fallout game

Beth didn't just want the game to sell; they wanted it to sell more, especially since some customers would have seen the shittiness of Bethesda's strategies and therefore would not buy from Bethesda again.

A far more logical argument is they made these changes because they thought people would like them more. They listened to the criticisms people had been throwing at all their games; Elder Scrolls and Fallout. And they tried to address them.

Fact: people buy games because they think they will like them, not because they are forced to by death squads. Therefore trying to get more sales = addressing people's criticisms.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gophers popularity comes from Bethesda games, so no wonder he shills hard for them. Nothing against the guy, just saying.

Black Angel

Arcane
:abyssgazer:
Yet another youtuber-modder fell from grace. I used to look up on his videos on modding New Vegas, and I also used to root for him for standing up with modders in the face of Beth's incompetence in handling mod-thievery, and his rant on how Fallout 4 did too many aspect wrong in comparison to its predecessors and other, better games. But this? He's argued whether or not Fallout 4's case was a dumbing down or 'simplification'. It's already obvious it's the former, but it seemed he's arguing in favor of the later as indicated in the comments (I don't want to waste my time on the video, looking at that excerpt and his respond to the comments was enough).

At least there was enough people giving proper respond to the video, but I can't help but facepalm myself every time Gopher desperately tried to debunk the argument of dumbing down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom