Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Acting and voice acting are two different animals really. Besides, I bet most big name actors view voice acting in games as a quick paycheck and just phone in their performance. Didn't help that Dad was terribly written in F3.

I mean christ, at least ask him some actual fucking questions about his life and career, not some autistic bullshit about how he'd survive in [insert dangerous situation here]. What, do people think that guys like Walter Cronkite began every interview asking shit like "So what would you do in a zombie outbreak?"?

No kidding. Has David Warner ever played a video game? Or Patrick Stewart? Who gives a single solitary fuck? I can't stand people who cannot draw a line between fantasy and reality. Get a life, you goddamn neckbeards.
The best defense is a good offense amirite?

But seriously, I think getting offended by a one off quip by Perlman is idiotic, however it's equally idiotic to act like the guy seriously asked a bad question, an AMA isn't an interview by any stretch, and asking a VA what they thought about the game they were in is not a big deal. He got asked the same questions relating to his films and even a shitty cartoon. All things considered, asking about Fallout is a lot more interesting than asking about the same fucking films he's done a billion interviews and special features for.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
What I don't get is why waste money on these so called super stars in the first place vs actual voice actors?
You think Arcanum would have benefited from having a big name actor in it's cast? Fuck no.
It benefited from having very competent voice actors and a good script. Instead of wasting money on big names, they should hire good scriptwriters and competent voice actors.

I don't think Perlman was really a big name actor when Fallout was released, was he? Most people I know didn't know him before Hellboy. And according to the AMA it was a fight to get him in instead of an actor that doesn't look like an orangutan's ass, and is still a battle to get in the next one.

But otherwise I have to agree, most of them don't really bring anything special to the table, certainly not Danny Trejo or Matthew perry(imo). Didn't find John Goodman to be necessary in Rage, and the same goes for Dad Neeson. The best voices in NV weren't the most prolific, although some of the film/movie actors were definitely better than shit VAs like Yuri Lowenthal, at least I think it was him who I heard voicing most of the really generic NPCs.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Jagged Alliance used noname VO artists (atleast here in germany, which had BTW a great translation) and I'd prefer this, hearing something fresh and quirky over the overused "stars" in voice acting. New Vegas was also guilty of this (lolo felicia day etc)

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I mean christ, at least ask him some actual fucking questions about his life and career, not some autistic bullshit about how he'd survive in [insert dangerous situation here]. What, do people think that guys like Walter Cronkite began every interview asking shit like "So what would you do in a zombie outbreak?"?

No kidding. Has David Warner ever played a video game? Or Patrick Stewart? Who gives a single solitary fuck? I can't stand people who cannot draw a line between fantasy and reality. Get a life, you goddamn neckbeards.
The best defense is a good offense amirite?

But seriously, I think getting offended by a one off quip by Perlman is idiotic, however it's equally idiotic to act like the guy seriously asked a bad question, an AMA isn't an interview by any stretch, and asking a VA what they thought about the game they were in is not a big deal. He got asked the same questions relating to his films and even a shitty cartoon. All things considered, asking about Fallout is a lot more interesting than asking about the same fucking films he's done a billion interviews and special features for.

Sure. But equally bothersome are some basement dwellers getting all hurt-mah-feels! over someone busting their tiny nuts. I thought it was a joke, I don't understand why people got so pissy.

What I don't get is why waste money on these so called super stars in the first place vs actual voice actors?
You think Arcanum would have benefited from having a big name actor in it's cast? Fuck no.
It benefited from having very competent voice actors and a good script. Instead of wasting money on big names, they should hire good scriptwriters and competent voice actors.

I completely agree, competently made and recorded no name (but good) voice actors that won't just phone in their performance and a good script can make a game awesome in that department. Unfortunately people are sheep, and they must have big shots for voice actors as a PR trick and better sales etc.

Although Ron was cool as fuck in Fallout 1 & 2 IMO.

Sure. But equally bothersome are some basement dwellers getting all hurt-mah-feels! over someone busting their tiny nuts. I thought it was a joke, I don't understand why people got so pissy.
Idk, maybe they forgot that they were dealing with a man in his 60s. Anyway I don't think people really blew up over it, there were a small few that shared quips back at him, and if you look at the screencap it has over 1000+ thumbs up, and was one of the higher rated answers despite not really saying anything interesting.
If you want to see butthurt redditors than look at the Woody Harrelson AMA.

Idk, maybe they forgot that they were dealing with a man in his 60s. Anyway I don't think people really blew up over it, there were a small few that shared quips back at him, and if you look at the screencap it has over 1000+ thumbs up, and was one of the higher rated answers despite not really saying anything interesting.

Please share the cause of butthurt with Woody?

Last edited:
Can't say I agree with you on Kris, and by all do you mean all the big names or all all? Because a lot of the extra voices were Oblivion level bad.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

Well, there's this kid who is gushing over the opportunity to have ten seconds of his time via the internet, and he goes LOL WHAT A DWEEB on him.

Good. The sooner people are disabused of their deification of celebrities, the better. Ron Pearlman puts his pants on and shits in them like everyone else. Making celebrities out of people is profoundly unhealthy behavior. It is probably the most annoying and pathological problem with western popular culture, and maybe even civilization.

Lhynn

Arcane
Good. The sooner people are disabused of their deification of celebrities, the better. Ron Pearlman puts his pants on and shits in them like everyone else. Making celebrities out of people is profoundly unhealthy behavior. It is probably the most annoying and pathological problem with western popular culture, and maybe even civilization.
:mca:

anus_pounder

Arcane

Please share the cause of butthurt with Woody?

http://www.mediaite.com/online/wood...e-anything-goes-disastrously-wrong-on-reddit/

I remember you saying NV was decent apart from the engine. What caused this change of heart? /rabbinical answer

fake edit: here it is

Fallout 3 was the fucking worst abomination of Fallout, to the point it wasn't even a Fallout game at all, other than in name.

Obsidian, took the gigantic pile of fucking shit that was the shitty Fallout 3 engine and tried to best place the game Van Buren was and succeed in a away presenting it to us after all this time. It is however horribly horribly scarred because of the fucking shit fallout 3 engine by Bethesda.

So no. Fallout 3 was not worth it. As much as I liked New Vegas, the horrible scars of the shit Bethesda engine remain, like an open festering wound that shall never heal. It WOULD however be worth it as I have stated before IF New Vegas was properly ported to the Fallout 2 engine or even FIFE.

Until that day comes, I vote NO.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
While is it is very nice for you to quote me, I was asking some questions. Of which I have not heard yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom