Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

ADL

Prophet
It really sucks we're getting this instead of Interplay's Fallout MMO.

Risewild

Arbiter
So is this a MMORPG or a online only single player game?

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-76-release-date-and-what-we-know-so-far/1100-6459293/

Fallout 76 is a much different sort of game from its predecessors. It's "entirely online," but don't worry, you'll be able to play it solo too. According to Bethesda, the idea to take this approach to open-world survival came four years ago, when it started to work on building a multiplayer Fallout experience.

Fuck this shit pile of fuck in the cunt assTwat.
It's a always online multiplayer shit. "You can play solo" means you don't have to partner with others to play, but you will still have other players in the same server doing their own things (which might include killing you). Playing solo is not the same as singleplayer.

Risewild

Arbiter
Why would I read all of this information that is mostly disinformation about a game that I am not interested? Also if that region was nuked, how come there are so many old trees and lush places?
I know there are "regions" in the region, and some are more wasteland and stuff, but it also has at least a region that wasn't nuked and it's lush and green and all of that junk.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
d90db8b6-2187-4bf9-8cee-eec3f382a1d5.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
How do you even define griefing in a game like this? Getting killed within a few minutes after respawning? Nobody will bother with spawncamping anyway.

Players are always marked on the map right? Just go there and "weaken" them while they fight something else.

Mixed PvP/PvE servers has been tried by companies who knew what they where doing and it still was shit. But with Bethesda at the helm? It WILL be glorious. :obviously:

Risewild

Arbiter
How do you even define griefing in a game like this? Getting killed within a few minutes after respawning? Nobody will bother with spawncamping anyway.

Players are always marked on the map right? Just go there and "weaken" them while they fight something else.

Mixed PvP/PvE servers has been tried by companies who knew what they where doing and it still was shit. But with Bethesda at the helm? It WILL be glorious. :obviously:
IIRC Toddy and/or Petey said that players level 5 or less can't be attacked (although that might change at game release). I also remember Petey saying that PvP is like issuing a challenge, so if a player gets tired of getting attacked/killed, it can just opt out of it or something stupid like that, old Petey was very vague about it.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Well, a duel system like that would technically be the ability to "opt out" of PvP, which Pity Hines apparently ruled out? And we would lose stanger danger (TM). But...
:gumpyhead:
Heh, I opt to change the thread title to "Fallout 76: Losing time with stranger danger (TM)" on release.:hahano:

Yeah, about 3 months left and the PvP system appears to only exist in theory. Gives me the impression that the devs went: "Oh crap, Todd/Pete told the press we have a PvP system? That was something we wanted to put in as a big update after the release!"

Grimlorn

Arcane
This is going to be such a trainwreck. Can't wait. Not giving the players the option to switch servers. :lol: Why would you do that? So if you're an odd man out between a few groups of people who know each other or are apart of the same clan then you're screwed and can't move to another server to start over?

I'm assuming there'll be a way to play with your friends but there might not be if there is no server choice option.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I suspect the idea is that they don't want the game to be branded as an online game. It should feel like any other Bethesda RPG that you just load up and play. "It just works".

vonAchdorf

Arcane
For that, they have ESO, which was heavily marketed as single player (online) game. But FO76 seems a bit different. They want players to interact and not being able to opt out of player interaction.

Aim1ess

Novice
The irony here is: IF Bethesda does add some kind of karma system to reward/punish shooting on sight, they would again "cheat for the player" by identifying hostile players. No "stranger danger" anymore. :hahano:

This is the fundamental problem with this game. You cannot say that it is both single player and has online stranger danger. The 2 things at their core cannot be mixed at the same time. If you are able to avoid online play then stranger danger is controllable. If stranger danger is unavoidable then you cannot play solo in peace. There is simply no getting around it. 2 + 2 = 4. Its like saying you're making a new Diablo hardcore mode where death isn't that bad -> then its not hardcore mode.

The idea of an online fallout and stranger danger and many of the things they say are things that could be put into a reasonable game, but it sure as hell isn't this one based on what they are saying. No griefing in a game where you can be INVINCIBLE? Ok, then whose gonna stop the invincible level 2 griefer that runs around doing emotes in your face? These guys are fucking morons.

Cael

Arcane
This is the fundamental problem with this game. You cannot say that it is both single player and has online stranger danger. The 2 things at their core cannot be mixed at the same time. If you are able to avoid online play then stranger danger is controllable. If stranger danger is unavoidable then you cannot play solo in peace. There is simply no getting around it. 2 + 2 = 4. Its like saying you're making a new Diablo hardcore mode where death isn't that bad -> then its not hardcore mode.

The idea of an online fallout and stranger danger and many of the things they say are things that could be put into a reasonable game, but it sure as hell isn't this one based on what they are saying. No griefing in a game where you can be INVINCIBLE? Ok, then whose gonna stop the invincible level 2 griefer that runs around doing emotes in your face? These guys are fucking morons.
They fall into the trap that a lot of online forums owners/moderators fall into: They expect people to be reasonable online and then run into a wall of griefers, trolls and flamers which they were not equipped, in mod numbers, forum software expertise or psychologically, to handle. They then inevitably explode in a nuclear explosion of bans, deletions and even shutting down amidst lots of screaming and wailing.

This should be hilarious to watch.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope this game reviews so poorly it makes Tactics look like a fucking masterpiece.
Tactics is the 4th best game in the series. Try comparing 76 to Fallout: BoS, a game most people probably don't remember even exists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom