Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout: New Vegas Review

Ruprekt

Scholar
Elwro said:
@Ruprekt: I played Fallout 2 on a P120 with 32 MBs of RAM, a few times :D It didn't require 64 MBs...

Hm, it was unplayable in new reno on mine :x

- or maybe I went from 16mb to 32mb... this was
starwars-a_long_time_ago.jpg

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
CraigCWB said:
I have trouble believing that somebody who says something like that might believe their opinions might be considered in any way valid.

Have you considered the possibility that your trouble stems from the fact that you are an ESF / SA moron? Wrap a piece of shit in a candy wrapper and it remains a piece of shit and should be called a piece of shit, not ''a brown object in a candy wrapper''. Why don't you take your preference for political corectness and get the fuck out? I'm sure ESF or SA will receive you back with open arms. You pass their cluelessness treshold with flying colors. Unless you are Drog. In that case by all means stay, and pray tell when the latest Arcanum patch will be coming out.

A little research, consisting of using the search and reading a few posts will reveal that Failout 3 , besides being a franchise rape, is a piece of shit due to its bad combat system, horrible theme park setting with nothing in common to Fallout, bad writing and badly designed quests (with a very few exceptions). In fact, there is the whole LP on this site that explains in detail why Oblivion with guns is a piece of shit, so press the X button on your X-brick controller, get a dictionary in case you encounter big words that are liable to overload your little smooth brain, and get to reading.

So, here we have a valid opinion backed by arguments, obvious to all but the most clueless.

I have no idea what pet games you're servicing by ranting about how awful Fallout 3 is, but I'm certain you'ce got a reason for all this over the top shit-talking and that it's game related.

Another example of shining ESF / SA logic.
Get a clue about the simple fact that one game's quality or lack thereof has absolutely no bearing on other games.

You have successfully added CraigCWB to your ignore list.

Black

Arcane
Who is this 2010 (surprise, surprise) moron and why is he so butthurt about fo3 being shit? One might even say he has todd's cock up his ass if not for the fact that todd does not have a cock.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Black said:
Who is this 2010 (surprise, surprise) moron and why is he so butthurt about fo3 being shit? One might even say he has todd's cock up his ass if not for the fact that todd does not have a cock.

Topher

Cipher
Awesome and I was under the impression that I was the only one who though CraigCWB was an idiot.

Whose alt is CraigCWB? I'd accuse him of being a drog alt, but the posting style is too different. He is also trolling to ineffectively to be anyone known...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This reviewer also gave Fallout 3 a 72. An all right fellow. Or an Obsiditard. You decide.

Topher

Cipher
Roguey said:
This reviewer also gave Fallout 3 a 72. An all right fellow. Or an Obsiditard. You decide.

What does it matter? That has no bearing whatsoever on my thoughts. I though Fallout 3 was terrible, I think New Vegas is good and for my part the developer doesn't have anything to do with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I added that last part because I fully expect skyway or one of his clones to come barging in here and say YOU ONLY LIKE IT BECAUSE IT HAS OBSIDIAN WRITTEN ON THE BOX IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME, QUEST COMPASS ENEMY COMPASS BAD SHOOTING BAD TEXTURES BAD ANIMATIONS WORTHLESS STATS TABITHA LULZ. You know how it is.

Black

Arcane
herostratus said:
Whose alt is CraigCWB?
I believe people nowadays give morons too much credit. If you see a guy on the internet acting like an idiot, chances are it's not an alt, a troll, a smurph, drogg or whatever. It's just an idiot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Topher said:
Roguey said:

What does it matter? That has no bearing whatsoever on my thoughts. I though Fallout 3 was terrible, I think New Vegas is good and for my part the developer doesn't have anything to do with it.

Indeed.

I guess I am an Obsidian "fanboy" in that I like their work most of the time, but I am also fully capable of telling them when they did a shitty job, like in the main NWN2 campaign.

Topher

Cipher
I'd say that I generally like Obsidians work but I judge on a game for game basis. The ending of KotOR 2 was a mess but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game very much. I used to be a huge fan of Bioware's work. Their games were always a must buy for me. I lucked out and somehow never played NWN, which would have put me off of them sooner, and I liked Mass Effect but ME2 and DA just didn't appeal to me at all.

I will definitely loose faith in a developer when they start making games that I don't like *cough*Bethesda*cough* and so far Obsidian hasn't done that. It seems that by most peoples standards that makes me some kind of crazed fanboy or something. :roll:

The thing I often detect that leads me to believe fanboys are present:

If X mechanic is in a Bethesda game = "LOLOLOLOoOLOLllOL HEY BRO THIS GAME SUCKS!!!"

If the very same mechanic is present in an Obsidian game = "Really, it isn't that bad. I just tend to overlook these things and enjoy the great aspects of the game"

The biggest one so far, to me, has been the quest compass. This mechanic is one of the most destructive things added to a sandbox exploration game...ever. What is the point of an exploration game, when you have a GPS system that points you straight to the quest area? How ridiculous can you get?

Alas, very little was mentioned of it for New Vegas...but Fallout 3 was universally trounced, as was Oblibion for this mechanic. And rightly so. Can anyone explain the differences here?

Fair enough if you don't mind this sort of thing, and you didn't mind it in Fallout 3. Just admit it and move on. However, if you ranted at it in one game, and then forgave it in another...well...what would YOU think?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Blackadder said:
If X mechanic is in a Bethesda game = "LOLOLOLOoOLOLllOL HEY BRO THIS GAME SUCKS!!!"

If the very same mechanic is present in an Obsidian game = "Really, it isn't that bad. I just tend to overlook these things and enjoy the great aspects of the game"
Actually, I don't think anyone is denying how bad the base mechanics of Fallout 3 and New Vegas both are. Just pointing out that Obsidian have improved it in other areas (namely writing).

Topher

Cipher
Blackadder said:
The thing I often detect that leads me to believe fanboys are present:

The biggest one so far, to me, has been the quest compass. This mechanic is one of the most destructive things added to a sandbox exploration game...ever. What is the point of an exploration game, when you have a GPS system that points you straight to the quest area? How ridiculous can you get?

Alas, very little was mentioned of it for New Vegas...but Fallout 3 was universally trounced, as was Oblibion. And rightly so. Can anyone explain the differences here?

Fair enough if you don't mind this sort of thing, and you didn't mind it in Fallout 3. Just admit it and move on. However, if you ranted at it in one game, and then forgave it in another...well...what would YOU think?

I hated the compass in Oblivion because it felt very intrusive but in FO3/NV it's just kinda on the bottom of the screen there and to be honest I never really noticed it. Plus in Oblivion they never told me exactly where "x" was as it was just assumed that I'd follow the arrow but in NV I felt like I could just ignore the compass. It's not that NV gave me better directions, it's that the world map and city design we're easier to sort out. In Oblivion when I was asked to find "x npc" I'd be told he lived in "y" and once I arrived I'd have to go door to door hunting him down because the map didn't help unless I'd passed the house and the directions I was given were way too vague. From my experience in NV when I was tasked to find "x npc" I'd walk into town and seemingly always cross paths with them naturally. I'm sure experiences varied though. To be honest I liked the way Morrowind handled directions, funny considering my comment about them being too vague in Oblivion. I always though the directions in MW were quite helpful and felt natural.

Long story short the compass felt less mandatory and invasive then it did in Oblivion but it's still a crappy feature.

Pegultagol

Erudite
:x
I've played this game for like 50 hrs so far and compass arrows do hamper a lot of the potential in exploratory elements of the game. Not that it was implemented in any more than bare rudimentary fashion, as it seems to ignore the multiple stories in a level (if I did not notice the arrow pointing down or up meaning just that, much like in GTA games).

Somehow I recall this bothering me more in NV than FO3. Why? No idea. Probably because in certain cases I had to exclusively rely on it to have any sort of lead to resolving a particular quest (like in Bye Bye Love). It seems it is being used more as a crutch than its predecessor.

Felix

Arcane
herostratus said:
Whose alt is CraigCWB? I'd accuse him of being a drog alt, but the posting style is too different. He is also trolling to ineffectively to be anyone known...

I remember the first time I saw him on the RPGWatch forum so.

flushfire

Augur
Gromnir said:
vats is so underpowered compared to the iron sights option
There are situations where a VATS-centered build is not so underpowered - cazadors and melee. Also, the final fights (esp. the one against NCR in an independet playthrough) are far easier with VATS.

Gromnir said:
o:nv added hardcore mode... which don't make the game anymore difficult
It does, although not that much more. stimpaks don't instantly heal and companions die. Just those two changes over normal mode make hardcore worthwhile, IMO

I agree with everything else though, esp. with the magazines. With Comprehension I passed almost every check in the game & opened every lock with only 6 starting Int. Still too many perks and too many skill points.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ruprekt said:
I could stomach fallout 3 in the sense it wasn't as horrific a rape as oblivion was for the TES series. It at least looked like fallout.
Did you just spit out your words the wrong way?

Topher

Cipher
Felix said:
herostratus said:

I remember the first time I saw him on the RPGWatch forum so.

He argues against Volourn so he might not be as worthless as I first though.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Topher said:
I hated the compass in Oblivion because it felt very intrusive but in FO3/NV it's just kinda on the bottom of the screen there and to be honest I never really noticed it. Plus in Oblivion they never told me exactly where "x" was as it was just assumed that I'd follow the arrow but in NV I felt like I could just ignore the compass.

I had the compass turned off for most of my first playthrough and there were definitely quests where I got NO information at all about where the objective was, which was frustrating. Eventually I just gave in and put the marker back on.

Just because I like NV doesn't mean I'm blind to its faults.

Topher

Cipher
DalekFlay said:
Topher said:
I hated the compass in Oblivion because it felt very intrusive but in FO3/NV it's just kinda on the bottom of the screen there and to be honest I never really noticed it. Plus in Oblivion they never told me exactly where "x" was as it was just assumed that I'd follow the arrow but in NV I felt like I could just ignore the compass.

I had the compass turned off for most of my first playthrough and there were definitely quests where I got NO information at all about where the objective was, which was frustrating. Eventually I just gave in and put the marker back on.

Just because I like NV doesn't mean I'm blind to its faults.

I didn't complete most of the quests in NV during my playthrough, so it's very likely that I simply never ran into the quest that would have given me problems. Like I said the experiences will vary, it's still a bad mechanic and I think Morrowind did it better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom