Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[NO LONGER MANTAINED] Fallout: New Vegas - Sigourn's Recommended Mods

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Or to take the cannibal perk, which I actually did for the first time ever. By the way, there's a patch for JSawyer ultimate edition which basically tunes project nevada to the Jsawyer ultimate modder specs, that wasn't on your list.

Hmm, thanks! I didn't know that. I also took the Cannibal Perk for the first time! I'm glad the mod made cannibalism something else than oww the edge and actually presented it as a necessity rather than some obscure mental problem.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I created an installation order that still needs TESTING. I'm going to start modding New Vegas today to ensure everything works as intended.

I've also redone the spreadsheet from the OP to reflect the new tiers of mods, so that people have a good idea of what mods are more "vanilla" and which ones are definitely a change from the vanilla gameplay experience. What I cannot do is guide people step by step on modding their New Vegas like I do; it requires a lot of tinkering with FNVEdit to remove annoying conflicts, mostly with overhauls. But I will provide a load order once I'm done modding the game.

Installation Guide:

1. New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE)
2. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
3. New Vegas Stutter Remover
4. NVAC - New Vegas Anti Crash
5. Better Game Performance V5
6. Fallout New Vegas Textures Optimized
7. HD Hi-Res World View Weapon Textures
8. Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP
9. Unofficial Patch Plus
10. Legion Explorer Armor Fix

-------------------------------------------------

(INTERFACE)

Install these if you want DarNified UI:

- DarNified UI
- DarNified UI - DT and DR
- Traits Menu DarNified

11. JIP Improved Recipe Menu

(OVERHAULS)

Install these if you want Project Nevada:

- Project Nevada
- Project Nevada - Extra Options
- Project Nevada - Extra Options -- Implant box texture fix

12. The Mod Configuration Menu
13. The Weapon Mod Menu
14. DYNAVISION 3 - Total Visual Enhancement
15. One HUD - oHUD

(INTERFACE)

Install this if you want Vanilla UI Plus:

- Vanilla UI Plus

(INTERFACE)

Install this if you want Interface Mod - Revelation:

- Interface Mod - Revelation
- Revelation Patch (if you use Vanilla UI Plus as well, get the patch from the mod's page)
- DarNified and Revelation UI Compatibility Patches (if you use DarNified UI)

16. UIO - User Interface Organizer
17. Child At Heart Perk
18. No Faction Warning PopUp

(OVERHAULS)

Install this if you want JSawyer:

- JSawyer Ultimate Edition

(CUT CONTENT)

Follow this guide for install cut content: http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas#Quests_.26_Cut_Content

- New Vegas Uncut - Outside Bets
- New Vegas Uncut 1 - Rotface to Riches
- New Vegas Uncut 2 - A Koch and Bohr Story
- New Vegas Uncut 3 - A Van Graff Scorned
- New Vegas Uncut 4 - A Thorny Situation
- New Vegas Uncut 5 - A Wilder Wasteland
- New Vegas Uncut 7 - Pacers Gambit
- Cut Sewers Restored
- Strip Wall Billboards
- Uncut Wasteland

19. New Vegas - Re-Animated
20. Better Posture
21. Weapon Animation Replacer WAR
22. Weapon Animation Replacers FOMOD
23. 1st Person Weapon Animation Overhaul
24. EXE - Effect teXtures Enhanced
25. HD Glass Impact Decals
26. HD Mist
27. HD Smoky Fire and Explosions
28. HQ Dust Storm FX
29. Enhanced Blood Textures for NV v2_22c
30. Improved LOD Noise Texture
31. Dusty distance
32. HiRes Raider Graffiti
33. IMPACT - Compatibility Edition (JIP LN) (DLC - TTW - All Mods)
34. Underwater FX
35. Hectrol Lockinterface Deluxe HighRes Retex
36. Hectrol Binocular Scope Deluxe HighRes Retex
37. Omnis Hi-Res Pip-Boy 3000
38. FNV Classic Worldmap
39. Centered 3rd Person Camera
40. New Vegas - Enhanced Camera
41. Collision Meshes
42. Precision Collision - Clutter NV
43. ADAM - A Definitive Armor Mod (NCR Ranger Helmets)
44. Burning Campfire
45. Corpse Equip
46. Lucky 38 intro poster
47. Nipton Fires Extinguished
48. Patient Gown at Startup
49. Unisex Motorcycle Helmets
50. 2019 Detective Special (That Gun)
51. Faction Armor Redone
52. Vanilla Hairs no shine

(NPCs APPEARANCE)

Pick NVCE for a vanilla-friendly experience, or the latter three for a less lore-friendly but better looking alternative:

- NVCE - New Vegas Character Expansions (already includes Authentic Burned Man)

- Fallout Character Overhaul 2.3.1
- Fallout New Vegas Redesigned 3
- Authentic Burned Man

53. Ambient Wasteland 2
54. Improved Sound FX v0821
55. Better boots sounds
56. Immersive Pickup Sounds FNV Edition
57. Mojave Music Radio - Extended
58. Interior Lighting Overhaul
59. Old World Blues - Path Lighting

(WEATHER AND LIGHTING)

Pick ONE of these:

- Nevada Skies

- Realistic Wasteland Lighting Enhancement

(BODY REPLACERS)

Install these if you want better bodies and new clothes:

- BEWARE OF GIRL Type 3 HiRez HiDetailed Replacer
- Type 6 Modification Body NV
- Type 3 Real Feel face and body retexture
- Female Raider Skin for Type 3
- Type3 Body and Armor replacer
- Type 3 Honest Heart Tribal Armors
- Old World Blues Armors for Type 3
- Lonesome Road Armors for Type 3
- Couriers Stash Type 3
- Dead Money Type3 Outfits
- High Resolution Male Body Textures
- Roberts Male Body FNV
- Streamlined Female Pipboy3000
- Soulful Eyes NV
- Armor Replacer Child NPC Fix
- Distributed Necklaces and Chains Neck Seam Concealer
- Spice of Life - Variety Armor and Clothing Robert Breeze Type 3

(OVERHAULS)

Pick Cirosans Classic Overhaul for a classic Fallout experience, or Vicious Wastes & Nitty's Wild Ride for a hardcore survival experience:

- Cirosans Classic Overhaul

- Vicious Wastes - Difficulty and Re-balance
- Nitty's Wild Ride

(GAMEPLAY)

Install whichever of these you want, but follow the order provided to minimize conflicts:

- Bury Your Treasure
- Ammo Ingredients as Loot
- Yukichigai Gameplay Tweaks
- Increased Weapon Jamming
- More Realistic Aiming
- More Realistic Aiming Fixed
- Realistic Reloading
- Real Recoil
- Painful Injuries
- True Wasteland Economy
- Ultimate Illness Mod
- Alternative Repairing
- Realistic Weapons Damages - New Vegas
- Immersive Minigames
- Mass Recalibration - Ultra-Compatible Weight Rebalance
- Enchantments Be Gone! Complete V2

Install these if you want Millenia's weapons:

- Weapons of the New Millenia
- Millenia's standalone weapons (download each one individually)

Wrap it up with this guide: http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas#Running_FNVLODGen

And I fucking hate cunts like this one.

Seriously dude, I was using your mod with no problem and plenty of other users were too, you are denying us access because your whiny ass thinks "it's super buggy", yet you had no problem in making that version THE version that we used to play with. And who knows how much time it will take him to actually release this new version, it's been months already with his mod hidden.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
well, considering how the game crashes even after a fresh install with only one mod installed, i'll probably have to pass on this one. shame, because i could have gone for a NV replay

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
well, considering how the game crashes even after a fresh install with only one mod installed, i'll probably have to pass on this one. shame, because i could have gone for a NV replay

There are three ESSENTIAL mods you have to install.

- NVSE
- New Vegas Anti-Crash
- New Vegas Stutter Remover

With those three an dozens upon dozens of other mods I've never crashed in my life.

That said, I'm creating a new mod list because the other one is full of problems, and I'd rather create a list for people who want to experience a "vanilla enhanced" installation. For starters, Project Nevada is out; it's one of the most problematic mods out there.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
yeah hadn't realized i had to launch the game through the nvse, my bad, mods noob here

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
yeah hadn't realized i had to launch the game through the nvse, my bad, mods noob here

It's okay fam, we've all been there. This is why I'm also making this mod list: it will be as simple as "download, install in this order, reorder plugins in this order, install compatibility patch, play". Only disadvantage is that you MUST play the game like that. Removing some mods will break the setup, but it's useful for those who don't know much about modding.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron

It's okay fam, we've all been there. This is why I'm also making this mod list: it will be as simple as "download, install in this order, reorder plugins in this order, install compatibility patch, play". Only disadvantage is that you MUST play the game like that. Removing some mods will break the setup, but it's useful for those who don't know much about modding.
thanks
so i'm getting into this shit, and i remember one thing that really annoyed me but i don't seem able to find a proper mod, so here i am asking:

i want a mod that alters the compass so that everything that appears on it is "sepia", as in, i don't want red colored stuff on the compass, i'm ok with my pip-boy picking up some kind of radar/sonar echo or some shit, but that the pip boy knows if they're hostile or not just bothers me, so iwant everything on the compass to be the same color. The mods i found simply remove the compass altogether, or make stuff appear closer, but don't change the color of the stuff showing up, the pip boy knows the INTENTIONS of those he picks up.

Any suggestion? My guess it's some simple number to change in some file, as in, neutral/friendly npc pickup = sepia, hostile = red. I can't seem to find anything though...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
i want a mod that alters the compass so that everything that appears on it is "sepia", as in, i don't want red colored stuff on the compass, i'm ok with my pip-boy picking up some kind of radar/sonar echo or some shit, but that the pip boy knows if they're hostile or not just bothers me, so iwant everything on the compass to be the same color. The mods i found simply remove the compass altogether, or make stuff appear closer, but don't change the color of the stuff showing up, the pip boy knows the INTENTIONS of those he picks up.

JSawyer Ultimate has the option to disable compass ticks altogether, which is personally what I think is a solution to the problem. If you can't see it, I can't see why you should perceive it. Let's drop this "Perception" crap as some magic skill.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yuge setback for my mod list... After running into some issues with Sunny Smiles' Varmint Rifle not appearing on her inventory and trying different solutions yesterday, today I found out that Yukichigai's Gameplay Tweaks aren't fully compatible with JSawyer Ultimate. For that reason I've decided to drop YGT. But the idea of the mod is really cool and there are some pretty neat mods in there, so I will have to manually download all of them to ensure compatibility.

Sucks a lot because I spent a couple of hours yesterday making the merged patch to resolve all conflicts. :/ So yeah, I'll have to see where do we go from this.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've been wanting to play FNV and am positively waiting for this

There are 8 mods or so I have to iron out from Yukichigai's Gameplay Tweaks before I can make my own "Sigourn's Gameplay Tweaks" mod just for this setup. It won't be as fancy with scripts and so on... but it's meant to be played with THIS setup. I'll hopefully get it done in the following hours and tomorrow I'll finish everything before I post the necessary mod list, install order and load order.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Too bored to redact, so I'll post a comment of an issue I'm having RIGHT NOW and I need all Codexers with an able-bodied copy of New Vegas to tell me if the problem is on my end.

I'm trying to compile a mod list for New Vegas, but I'm coming across something that I don't know if it is a "bug" or a half-assed feature from the vanilla game.

This is my issue:

- I go to Chet's store. If I start stealing shit while hiding, only my Karma drops.
- If I go to Chet's store and kill him, nothing happens. But when I start stealing shit, EVEN WHEN HIDING, both my Karma AND my Reputation with Goodsprings starts dropping. The latter at an alarmingly fast rate, as in, "every two stuff stolen my reputation drops".

I'm playing vanilla with bugfixing mods only (YUP, YUP +). What the hell is going on? It's been months since I had last played New Vegas, so I can't recall if this happened before too.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
why all this autism

installation order for one hundred twenty something mods... are you kidding me??

are you insane?

just play vanilla, it's not like all that fan made schlock is gonna change the actual story and quests in the game, install a mod for smaller fonts and maybe a nude patch and that's it

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
why all this autism

installation order for one hundred twenty something mods... are you kidding me??

are you insane?

just play vanilla, it's not like all that fan made schlock is gonna change the actual story and quests in the game, install a mod for smaller fonts and maybe a nude patch and that's it

Not 120 any more, more like 100. Plus I will upload almost all of it in one neat package, only mods that will be left out are the heaviest single mods, and 80% of that you can install whenever you want without any differences (optimized textures for the game).

EDIT:

inb4 prosper

Screen_Shot27.jpg

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn, posting a load order isn't necessary at all, you do know MO & LOOT exists?

Mod Organizer is great, LOOT is pretty pointless. FNVEdit is much better. The reason I will post a load order is because my Merged Patch will be made with that load order in mind.

I'm currently trying to replace the eyebrow section of the face textures. The one in the pic above is too "makeup"-like. I'm going for a more natural look.

Mozg

Arcane
why all this autism

are you insane?

Not 120 any more, more like 100. Plus I will upload almost all of it in one neat package, only mods that will be left out are the heaviest single mods, and 80% of that you can install whenever you want without any differences (optimized textures for the game).

EDIT:

inb4 prosper

Screen_Shot27.jpg

They look just as bad in different ways. Plus they both move like Bethesda horrors as soon as they need to play an animation anyway

The many fine autistically crafted gun mods + probably whatever rebalancer crap + Deus Ex style visible gun spread indicators are good tho

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Obviously you won't need to use Type 3/Type 6 bodies with my installation, neither Robert's Bodies. But I have included a separate patch to accomodate compatibility changes for those mods.

Still

Screen_Shot32.jpg

Why the fuck wouldn't you use them :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn, posting a load order isn't necessary at all, you do know MO & LOOT exists?

Mod Organizer is great, LOOT is pretty pointless. FNVEdit is much better. The reason I will post a load order is because my Merged Patch will be made with that load order in mind.

...They are used for entirely different purposes, making a merged patch with FNVEdit doesn't solve any problems related to an improper load order (which LOOT is virtually necessary to prevent).

I use FNVEdit as a replacement for LOOT. FNVEdit lets me know when a mod's changes are being overwritten by another. While LOOT just tells you "move these plugins like so", I use FNVEdit to see the conflicts and then fix them.

I've just finished installing pretty much everything I wanted. Latest addition was some non-extremely-skimpy T6M outfit conversions (though all body replacer-stuff is completely optional for this installation, yet I will provide compatible versions), as well as Fallout Character Overhaul hair textures, pretty cool really. I've just made a test character (that will be my main if everything goes right), Elizabeth the kleptomaniac attention whore who had a rough childhood. Unless I come across any issues, I'll report on two days.

Screen_Shot35.jpg

PD: I STILL CAN'T GET OVER THE FACT I HAVE TO START A NEW GAME WITHOUT REALISTIC WASTELAND LIGHTING ENHANCEMENT GOD DAMMIT.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I use FNVEdit as a replacement for LOOT. FNVEdit lets me know when a mod's changes are being overwritten by another. While LOOT just tells you "move these plugins like so", I use FNVEdit to see the conflicts and then fix them.

This is my point, why do the work yourself when the process can be perfectly automatized?

LOOT doesn't solve conflicts, bro. It just tries to minimize them by moving your load order around.

Say one mod adds a hat to an NPC's inventory, and another one changes his hair, eyes, stats, most of his inventory (but adds no hat). LOOT will tell you "place the hat mod first, then the other mod second". What I do is merge the changes made by both mods into a new Merged Patch.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Took some screenshots.

Screen_Shot36.jpg

Screen_Shot41.jpg

Screen_Shot42.jpg

I'm honestly digging the vanilla look (sans body replacers), aside from the low res textures it's nice to see that the game does have an art direction that disappears when you install tons of texture replacers on top.

I've just finished installing a few sound mods (that are optional but with a patch provided) and a few effects mods that make gunfire and blood (among others) look better. I'm gonna keep playing and hopefully tomorrow at night I'll have everything ready.

I don't know what that monstrosity of a list is, but you can be sure it will prevent anyone sane from playing New Vegas. Look, we all have our mods that we like, and you can make a huge list of them, but if you just want to turn New Vegas into a great all around game, you don't need those.

Vegas has good writing and dialogue, and good exploration. What's terrible about it is the default vanilla combat. So the only important mods are the ones that improve combat. And that is very simple to do. Either grab Project Nevada combat rebalance module, or make one yourself, using their numbers. It's just a few numerical changes in the GECK Editor.

PN removes hitpoint gain on level up, and nerfs it per point of endurance. It also significantly lowers enemy hitpoints. With an endurance score of 5, I had 150 hitpoints the entire game. These changes dramatically improve the quality of combat, as it goes from boring snoozefests to something closer to a realistic one shot one kill shooter. Sawyer's mod does something similar, but PN's hitpoint bloat removing nerf is stronger, and therefore better, as with Sawyer's mod you ll still be bloated at some point.

Also, install No Neos mod from the Nexus. It removes the NPC's super-human bullet dodging, which NV has by default, to encourage use of cheating mode VATs. These two mods are all you need.

Everything else is done by simply abstaining from certain retarded in-game options. Play on Hardcore mode to prevent insta-heals from Stimpaks. Avoid cheating mode VATs. Wear light armor to avoid armor equivalent of hitpoint bloat. Use powerful single-shot weapons. What you have then is a halfway decent FPS combat system.

Now if you want it to be really awesome, roll an Agility of 9, wear Sheriff's Duster and a cowboy hat, and carry Ranger Sequioa, always holstered. When someone comes around the corner to attack you, quick draw the ol' Sequioa, squint your eyes, and perform a quick headshot. Once the bad guy goes down, spit out some imaginary tobacco, and say to your cat, "... guess he was feeling lucky...", and reholster the gun.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I don't know what that monstrosity of a list is, but you can be sure it will prevent anyone sane from playing New Vegas. Look, we all have our mods that we like, and you can make a huge list of them, but if you just want to turn New Vegas into a great all around game, you don't need those.

You mentioned JSawyer and Project Nevada, but to be honest the game is still boring with those. I'm using these at the moment:
  • JSawyer Ultimate: like JSawyer, but better, with some features like those of Project Nevada.
  • Water Overhaul: makes for more interesting survival as it overhauls how water works.
  • Mojave Arsenal: distributes ammo parts through the wasteland.
  • Alternative Repairing: makes repairing more engaging.
  • Economy Overhaul: makes the economy tougher.
  • Ultimate Illness Mod: makes for more interesting survival, by incorporating features from Fallout 4.
  • VATS Alternative - Bullet Time: replaces VATS.
  • Karmic Balance: adds value to having Karma in the first place.
  • Faction Armor Redone: fixes the faction armor.
  • Immersive Minigames: makes minigames play like the original Fallouts.
  • Mass Recalibration: this adds weight to almost everything in the game.
  • Real Recoil: this adds proper recoil to weapons.
  • Realistic Reloading: this makes reloading a manual affair. Couple that with iHUD's option of disabling ammo means I have to keep track of ammo in my head, which is more fun than "shoot until the magazine is empty and your character automatically reloads". More of a "do you feel lucky, punk" now that you used that example.
Of all those, I guess Project Nevada is compatible with a lot of stuff (the ones in bold), and has more features, and does some of the things these mods do already. It is also one of the most problematic mods to use if you care about using another overhaul (I care) and you want to make sure everything is working properly, so if I'm recommend a setup to someone, I'm definitely not including it. Having a compatible mod list was my goal for this setup, and it just isn't feasable with Project Nevada.

Project Nevada is a huge overhaul mod that introduces a ton of stuff. I am usually suspicious of these, because New Vegas is a good all-around game (unlike say Skyrim) so any kind of massive changes might do more harm than good. That's why I suggested only using the Combat Rebalance Moduel of PN, and not the whole thing. If you want to do even better, just create your own mod using the number from that module, it will take only a few minutes if you know how to use the Geck Editor. All this will do is remove the hitpoint bloat from you and your enemies, and it's obviously compatible with everything.

Combining the above with the No Neos mod is pretty much all you need to massively improve NV combat, as long as you stay away from VATs and use Hardcore mode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom