Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout Opening Analysis at No Mutants Allowed

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think sea could've also mentioned that Fallout actually has a "proper" tutorial at the start of the manual where you are hand-held through the first rat cave and taught how the interface works, how rats are killed, how skills are used and so on. It's pretty much the same things as tutorial pop-ups, it's just entirely optional and printed on paper.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Nope.

sea said:
The same goes for more advanced combat functions like aimed shots, and even some of the basic rules in combat like action points. These are all important, and unfortunately they're very hard to communicate in the passive way Fallout attempts.

The actual tutorial of the game explains these things in an active way not unlike tutorial pop-ups in any other game. Yeah, you have to open the manual to find it, but it's functionally equivalent to tutorials you can find in pretty much any new game.

hiver

eH?

Ah... at the start of the MANUAL....okay... you should have said so right away..... yup.....
and written in "i didnt drink my coffee yet" alphabet.

IT GOES LIKE THIS.

No, he did spend a good chunk on the first rat cave SO... yeah. ahem.

thesoup

Arcane
I know people who played both Fallouts when they were 10, back in the times when walkthroughs were unheard of. They completed them without ever complaining how hard and unintuitive they were. The worst part - they're not even gamers and their English wasn't that great.

So if any modern gamer wants to tell me how unintuitive and archaic Fallout's intro is, he can rightfully fuck off.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never ran out of time. I played it without the patch. I never felt restricted but did feel the pressure which is what I fucking should have felt. I did the deal with the caravans and still managed to explore everything and save the world the first time I played the game. What the fuck is wrong with people? Fallout isn't even a hard fucking game, nor a long one; compared to RPG's of the golden age it is the equivalent of Fable in scale and difficulty. I didn't even really read the manual except for entertainment purposes after already having played the game for hours. That doesn't make it any less brilliant, but fuck, for the time it was pretty lightweight and any foo' should be able to complete it without problem, time limit or not.

hiver

I didnt even know there is something called manual.
Didnt know anything about P&P, nothing about any RPGs, rules, skills, turn based combat or action points or anything else.

I learned it all in Fallout.
Just by playing it and seeing whats going on.

I didnt ever think im some prodigy genius, but it sure starts to feel that way.

metzger

Educated
I played Fallout when I was ten years old. No manual, no RPG-experience. And I had no problems with it. I probably died once in the Glow because I didn't know about deadly radiation, but that's it. The game is simple and easy. I can't imagine how it can be impenetrable to anyone if he is not brain-damaged.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom