Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Shelter, Bethesda's Vault management sim - now on PC

Saduj

Arcane
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/15/e3-2015-fallout-mobile-game-fallout-shelter-available-now

Gameplay video in link.

"Inspired by games like XCOM and SimCity, you control the people in the Vault and need to keep them happy. They'll level up, and you can give them new items and weapons, which they'll need when you send them out into the Wasteland.

There are lots of different rooms to build, some give stats and items, with the bar giving charisma, the classroom giving intelligence. You'll be rewarded with lunchboxes containing rewards."

Not mentioned in the article: It is free to play with in app purchases!

Astral Rag

Arcane
dfsqcepqw.jpg

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Cipher
The sad thing is I can easily imagine a fairly ok game with a similar premise. Not on mobile obviously. Oversee a Vault, maybe with an initial builderesque construction phase followed by managing. Balance prices for signing up for the Vault versus construction of facilities. Will you skimp on the water filters? Entertainment? Sign up to allow sinister experiments to be performed on your inhabitants in exchange for a big wad of cash?

Or just buy lunch boxes with in-app 'micro' transactions :troll:

Also make all the inhabitants dwarves

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been playing it yesterday for a while. Those lunchboxes are not required to play it. They speed up the game only and you can get them by doing quests in the game. Also only thing you can get from them that you cannot normally are rare dwellers for your vault (or maybe those can show up normally, I have not been playing long enough to know).

This game is actually fun, it is more complex than 2012 Xcom base building and more fun overall than F3 and FNV :)

If you own a iPhone 5 or 6 or same generation iPad try the game, it is free. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised like I was. I was expecting some simplistic crap with 100 limitations forcing you to spend money but only people without any patience will be spending money.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have been playing it yesterday for a while. Those lunchboxes are not required to play it. They speed up the game only and you can get them by doing quests in the game. Also only thing you can get from them that you cannot normally are rare dwellers for your vault (or maybe those can show up normally, I have not been playing long enough to know).

This game is actually fun, it is more complex than 2012 Xcom base building and more fun overall than F3 and FNV :)

If you own a iPhone 5 or 6 or same generation iPad try the game, it is free. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised like I was. I was expecting some simplistic crap with 100 limitations forcing you to spend money but only people without any patience will be spending money.

This is literally the same argument you can make for any Pay to Wait F2P game. What is your point?

Not saying the game sucks.. I don't have an iphone to even play it - just curious how this was supposed to convince people that this game isn't another HOTEL CLASH OF DUNGEON KEEPERVILLE

ArchAngel

Arcane
Funny thing, you can get a male and female together and they will produce a baby. When that baby grows up you can have it paired up with its father/mother and later its grandparents or whatever combination you want :D

EDIT: seems it does not always work.

Azeot

Arbiter
Funny thing, you can get a male and female together and they will produce a baby. When that baby grows up you can have it paired up with its father/mother and later its grandparents or whatever combination you want :D

EDIT: seems it does not always work.
survival of the species as a priority, seems appropriate

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is literally the same argument you can make for any Pay to Wait F2P game. What is your point?

It is also how F2P developers want you to think. They know that people are actually more willing to spend money on microtransactions when they think that it's completely optional and not something that they are pressured to do.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

It is also how F2P developers want you to think. They know that people are actually more willing to spend money on microtransactions when they think that it's completely optional and not something that they are pressured to do.

I can't stand F2P games.. all greed and money mongering aside - it ruins the game too. Generally the game is the most boring shit ever waiting for shit to happen when you don't pay.. and when you do pay it generally trivializes the game to the point where it's like .. Why even play in the first place?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'm actually a little, and I repeat & emphasize little, appreciative of this Fallout F2P game. I haven't played it, and generally I hate F2P, but this just knocked Candy Crush off the top as the #1 iPhone app or some such, and apparently it is a game that isn't so terribly exploitative and has a bit more depth than your average mobile game.

Last edited:
So, that "Fallout Shelter" game.

This is the debut mobile app from Bethesda Softworks in mobile gaming world. This is not the "companion app" to Fallout 4, that will be the the Pip-Boy app along with the release. This is the standalone freemium game on iOS, and is already an enormous success, wreaking absolute havoc on App Store, dethroning a worldwide hit Candy Crush Saga and already netting millions of revenue for Bethesda. As always, Android version will follow in half of decade from now on. To nobody's surprise, there is already a huge demand for all the major websites to hasten with necessary explanations for mobile gamers that you need to assign Dwellers to different functions according to their SPECIAL in order to prosper :prosper:

Since I have an iPhone, I downloaded it.

(the screens look shitty with this scaling here, but are quite pretty on a 4,7" screen)

4kbr0n.jpg

29xjbxf.jpg

Just by looking at him, I could tell he was alpha.

6p7uiu.jpg

be6afq.jpg

Yes, the Vault survival is a non-stop swingers party/cuckfest orgy like that.

As an Overseer, you develop your vault just like a nuXCOM base and complete objectives, like "level up 5 dwellers" or "sell 3 outfits". for caps and "Lunchboxes". The latter contain caps, food; or weapons, Power Armor and unique Dwellers, who are random characters from Fallout 3. The last three follow the Common/Rare/Legendary gradation from You-know-which-game. This is the very same digital crack cocaine for sale, as Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft booster packs. You get the dozen or so of them as the first taste for free, followed by stalemate, and then it's 40 for $19,99.

I guess I got lucky here:

2r4omte.jpg

973b10.jpg

24zev55.jpg

Some of the reviews online are much more thorough, however, I believe those screens tell you everything you need to know about this game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This is iOS? I actually have an iPhone so maybe I should join the incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom