Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 2 finally fixed!

pipka

Savant
Well, almost... and modded to be more precise.
Remember those hard-to-kill niggers(and white niggers) who reproduced at the speed of light on the checkpoints?! Their relentless and unyielding will to drive you by(and over)?! The time of this travesty is almost over!
Dylan from USA has fixed it.

The link:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

The description:
This mod fixes what Ubisoft left unfixed. Dylan's Realism Mod changes Far Cry 2 from an Africa-based sedan and pickup truck simulator into a true African conflict simulator. Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for tinpot African militiamen). Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla. Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often. However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.

The changelog:
Version 1.3
I changed the AI weapon probability to give the militiamen more Africa-like weapons like the AK47 and FAL Para, and remove the harder-to-get (for an African tinpot warlord) weapons, like the AR16 and SPAS12. I also edited the companion probability to give them some better weapons as well. (More rifles, less shotguns). The enemy AI are now less likely to chase you with vehicles.

Regular distance chase AI has been decreased, while long distance (ex. blowing through a checkpoint) probability has been decreased from around 80-100% to 60% at the maximum level. The AI are also more likely to shoot at "interesting" objects, like your past location, explosions, etc.

They also communicate more often when in combat.

I also decreased the players durability on all difficulties, in order to keep some sense of difficulty, since enemies drop like flies now.

Most weapons also have more recoil, in the form of a longer "rezeroing" time. Weapons won't exactly jump up as much, but your player will have to wait a while before his sights come back down.

Short bursts mean a lot more when firing 15 rounds leaves you unable to get your weapon back down on target in time due to decreased mouse sensitivity that increases as you fire more rounds on full auto.

Decreased weapon manual reliability bonus from 200% to 100% so that weapons still go kaboom, but not after 30 rounds.
Stay put for the next version(which is imminent).
Bonus: it-began-in-africa tint-remover : http://www.moddb.com/mods/far-cry-2-graphical-enhancement-suite

P.S. MetalCraze is not welcome ITT. I mean it!

Angthoron

Arcane
Do you still have to unlock guns with shitty missions and hunt diamonds?

Otherwise, holy fuck, would brofist that guy til he faints, with some proper fixes (and without gems, gun unlocking and fucking malaria) the game could be sweet.

Quilty

Magister
Cool, hopefully it actually works. Let us know if you try it out. I liked the premise of the game, but dudes made out of titanium made it impossible to play.

Data4

Arcane
Still needs a mod to make the dead stay dead until a mission is complete. I'm looking at you, miraculously restaffed checkpoints.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'll try this out shortly. I downloaded Far Cry 2 recently because it was $2.50, had fun with it a couple years ago but it was kind of mediocre overall, with these sorts of tweaks it looks like it could be pretty good though.

bonescraper

Urwrong. FC2 is one of the best open world shooters ever. If the most annoying crap was finally fixed, then oh boy! Time to reinstall this thing :D

hiver

If he makes a fix that makes cleared fucking checkpoints stay clear (at least a few days or something godammnit) wake me up.

Zeus

Cipher
Was there ever a mod that added interaction with wildlife? Or are we going to have to wait until FC3 to play Big Game Hunter?

Multi-headed Cow

Not sure I like the sound of realistic weapon reliability. Farcry 2's weapons were durable enough, making them more reliable reduces the chance of seeing those lovely jammed weapon animations! And hurt PC animations!

Still, might be worth it for everything else.

Repressed Homosexual
Far Cry 2 was a splendid world, it would be incredible if the most nagging gameplay flaws were fixed, or at least greatly improved. Still, I'm afraid this is probably very rough around the edges, and will remain so for a long time, probably forever.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
That checkpoint thing sounds like it needs fixing. I have a certain hate for wholesale respawning. One or two people coming in, sure. Not GTA civilian style resurrection.

Gerrard

Arcane
Not sure I like the sound of realistic weapon reliability. Farcry 2's weapons were durable enough, making them more reliable reduces the chance of seeing those lovely jammed weapon animations! And hurt PC animations!

Still, might be worth it for everything else.
The weapons broke after an arbitrary number of shots, proportional to the total amount of ammo you could carry. The dart rifle would explode in your hands after like 18 shots or something equally ridiculous.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Yes, the famous FC2 ADHD checkpoint stuff resurrection thingy ruins all the experience. What is better, than satisfaction that comes from tidy cleaning area to the ground, to the roots, to the ancestors bones from unwanted, unsocial or just plain hostile, native elements. But, IIUC, checkpoints are not fixed, yet... right? Also, those stupid diamonds hunt, should be throw out the window. And then... who knows... who knows... as someone earlier wrote - FC2 has a huge, openish world... where something wonderful may happen...

Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla

Still too high, since I don't think it's possible to fix the most annoying thing about these chases - the fact that even though they have to run to their cars and turn them on, they will still reach you even though you got past the checkpoint at the speed of sound. It's not like checkpoint guards are stronger or better equipped than normal guards, so it's usually just an annoyance.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Played with this mod a little bit.

• Combat is more fun. More realistic damage encourages less rambo stuff, but enemies dying fast counters things well. Gunfights feel less about aiming and reflexes and more about target acquisition, which works well for the jungle setting.
  • Enemies in general are more aggressive and do a better job of suppressing and flushing you out.
  • Enemies do indeed follow you less.
  • Recoil is nice, even a pistol requires you to keep your sights trained properly because it bobs not just up and down, but side-to-side slightly as well.
Otherwise it's the same game. The enemy respawns still fucking suck. Driving around the world (i.e. 95% of the gameplay) is still boring and repetitive. The game is still too reliant on crappy filler rather than cool set piece locations (mostly because of said respawns). It's more a difficulty tweak that makes the game a bit more fun, rather than any sort of overhaul that gets rid of any fundamental problems. Definitely worth trying but it's not going to make me replay the game by any means.

Yes, the famous FC2 ADHD checkpoint stuff resurrection thingy ruins all the experience. What is better, than satisfaction that comes from tidy cleaning area to the ground, to the roots, to the ancestors bones from unwanted, unsocial or just plain hostile, native elements. But, IIUC, checkpoints are not fixed, yet... right? Also, those stupid diamonds hunt, should be throw out the window. And then... who knows... who knows... as someone earlier wrote - FC2 has a huge, openish world... where something wonderful may happen...
Unfortunately, this is probably impossible. All the guy seems to be able to do is edit (hex edit?) the patch files and change around values.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I did some searching.

It's not that their respawn is timed, it's once you get a certain distance from a checkpoint, the checkpoint leaves the computer's memory, so when you come back it'll be loaded back in in it's default, occupied, state.
The game doesn't save any information about what you have previously done in an area, except for bigger mission events such as blowing up a bridge.

simply amazing

SoupNazi

Yeah, and when you blow up a bridge outside of a mission (which is possible), or during one of those mini-missions for gun runners, it doesn't save that, either. :troll:

I did some searching.

It's not that their respawn is timed, it's once you get a certain distance from a checkpoint, the checkpoint leaves the computer's memory, so when you come back it'll be loaded back in in it's default, occupied, state.
The game doesn't save any information about what you have previously done in an area, except for bigger mission events such as blowing up a bridge.

simply amazing

Except I had checkpoints respawn several times when I was still at them, at least way back in unpatched version. Seems like this game really is an unfixable mess.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This game. So much wasted potential. Instead, we got Cryshit 2: Maximum Corridor

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I did some searching.

simply amazing

So... How about you find that instruction that empties memory, reverse it so that memory is never emptied and...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom