Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 4 - *insert witty subtitle here*

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I will never play this, but the alternative ending is kinda nice I gotta say :)

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i5 4670k, 760gtx and 8gb here.

frames sub 50 on high with smaa. the fov makes me sick and the mouse movement is atrocious. another flawless release by ubisoft.

frames sub 50 on high with smaa. the fov makes me sick and the mouse movement is atrocious. another flawless release by ubisoft.
not sure what's wrong on your end, I'm getting 55-60fps on very high with an overclocked i5 3570k (4.2ghz) and a 770gtx, your numbers should be similar. FOV is adjustable. Did you install the 1.03 patch?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

To fix the mouse movement, you need to edit the config file (some xml file, I think), and change all mouse-smoothing options from 1 to 0.

Zeriel

Arcane

To fix the mouse movement, you need to edit the config file (some xml file, I think), and change all mouse-smoothing options from 1 to 0.

Seems to work for some (though I'm skeptical on that, I think a lot of people who don't play FPSes a lot are just falling for placebo effect), doesn't work for others. I've tried everything from xml edits to ingame options to even modding tricks from FC3 (replacing common.dat) to fix the mouse problems, but massive mouse accel and mouse decel is still there. I don't mind accel horribly much, but negative acceleration makes the game borderline unplayable for me.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Is this game as buggy and microtransaction infested as AssCreed Unity, or is it playable?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
No idea why, but this game is practically unplayable for me. It runs fine, 60FPS on med-high settings when I'm walking around, but once I start travelling in vehicles or running long distances it starts lagging so bad I get about 10m done in a minute. It's almost like it's struggling to lead the new areas.

Another great game by Ubisoft. :retarded:

They're fast approaching EA levels of shittiness. Fucking frenchies.

Is this game as buggy and microtransaction infested as AssCreed Unity, or is it playable?
It runs a lot better than Unity, and it's pretty playable - however it's still Far Cry 3 with some extra stuff thrown in. All of the negatives for that game still apply. It's fun for 5 minutes at a time when you feel like popping some moles in a stronghold, and it does look very pretty, but that's really about it.

No idea why, but this game is practically unplayable for me. It runs fine, 60FPS on med-high settings when I'm walking around, but once I start travelling in vehicles or running long distances it starts lagging so bad I get about 10m done in a minute. It's almost like it's struggling to lead the new areas.

That sounds like a vram issue - do you have a 2gb card? if so, try dialing down the texture quality and see if it helps.

Zeriel

Arcane

That sounds like a vram issue - do you have a 2gb card? if so, try dialing down the texture quality and see if it helps.

Texture use is 1.5-2GB from Medium - Ultra without taxing AA use. You really shouldn't be seeing Vram stuttering from High textures. And this problem has been reported by pretty much everyone playing FC4, even people with absurd rigs with 4GB vid memory.

You can anyway dismiss this as a possibility by switching to Low textures and driving around in a vehicle. I guarantee those experiencing stutters will still experience them.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I feel like a bit of a dumbfuck, but he's right. I didn't expect textures to be so intense so I didn't bother testing them, but I dropped them from High to Medium and the issue pretty much disappeared.

I've got a HD7850 and granted it's a 2011 card, but it doesn't sit quite right with me. I can play Far Cry 3 on Ultra with no issues so it really feels like I should be able to play this significantly higher. Especially annoying is that the game runs perfectly on High textures as long as I don't start travelling long distances fast.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well when people were saying 1 GB is enough, and I was saying any new GFX card should have at least 2 GB, I was right. Looks like the era with 4 6 and 8 GB cards came. Considering PS4 has 6 GB for GFX, it's no surprise.
Are you running PCI-E 2.0, or 3.0? Do you have SLI board?

I feel like a bit of a dumbfuck, but he's right. I didn't expect textures to be so intense so I didn't bother testing them, but I dropped them from High to Medium and the issue pretty much disappeared.

I've got a HD7850 and granted it's a 2011 card, but it doesn't sit quite right with me. I can play Far Cry 3 on Ultra with no issues so it really feels like I should be able to play this significantly higher. Especially annoying is that the game runs perfectly on High textures as long as I don't start travelling long distances fast.
I actually feel like a dumbfuck for not getting the 3gb version of the 770 when I bought it back in April - a mighty 20$ savings! The card is serviceable still, and I can't say I care a lot about the popamole shit that demands that kind of ram usage, but still the trend arrived sooner than I expected.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's called shit optimization. The game isn't anymore technologically advanced than Fag Cry 3. Unless you're playing at 4k resolution then 2 GB of Vram is more than adequate. Also I doubt most of you have disabled the awful post processing they cram into these games that both: 1) make the game run worse, and 2) make the game look worse.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's called shit optimization. The game isn't anymore technologically advanced than Fag Cry 3. Unless you're playing at 4k resolution then 2 GB of Vram is more than adequate. Also I doubt most of you have disabled the awful post processing they cram into these games that both: 1) make the game run worse, and 2) make the game look worse.

This. It's not a hardware issue. TB talked about it in his port report. His video card wasn't using anywhere near his total vram, so it's definitely not that.

After some more tweaking, it helped to set max frames to render ahead to 3 at the driver level. Most of the stuttering when driving is gone now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
BTW, that mipmap option forces all textures to be on low, that's why performance is so much better, the texture setting then does nothing.

It's probably still a texture streaming problem rather than a shortcoming of hardware, though, the game is recommending texture settings (it wanted me to put everything on High/Very High/Ultra) it can't deliver on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom