Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 5 - set in the exotic open world of MONTANA

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh,the game is just another popamole shit,people that buy shit are shit!

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No one really gives a shit about graphics and "realism" when he fires up FC.

Everyone's tryhardism is painful to watch here. FPS games with great atmosphere, weapons and physics models have been around since forever, and you choose to play critics of a game that's plainly not attempting to innovate in either field?

FC is played by kids who are enthralled by its gameplay loop. All that the graphics and physics engine need to do is not to stand in the way of the single player mmo gameplay.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FC is played by kids who are enthralled by its gameplay loop. All that the graphics and physics engine need to do is not to stand in the way of the single player mmo gameplay.

So if the next Far Cry is, say, a walking sim we can't laugh about it because its target audience are morons?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If the next FarCry is a lumberjack sim are you gonna cream your shorts?
Destructible trees tho :bounce:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Legitimate lumberjack and forest fire simulation elements would actually be cool and probably get me to buy the game (a year later on sale).

wyes gull

Savant
I never once heard FC2 being talked about in such high regard up until about a week ago, conveniently when so many videos came out on youtube talking about what a lost masterpiece of technical brilliance it apparently was
Well, people did. Youtubers can certainly nudge crowds willing to shitpost but fortunately things have dates and not all of us are 18 or under.

Second, as I stated before, no, "anything in FC2 that's good should be a given in 3; not missing 5" is not a sound statement based on any sense of reality but purely on ideology. It's a notion that arises from cynicism and having a detached, hindsight informed view entirely divorced from the creative process.
Precisely. It's about being a consumer, not an employee. The whys and hows are irrelevant, what is relevant is what you want and what is provided. That is your prerogative as a potential customer.
The rest is the same old "why aren't there working mirrors on games anymore" discussion. That the whys and hows can be explained and that their importance can be downplayed doesn't change the fact their absence is noted and grieved.

You say this design process is reflective of an assembly line mentality
Yes. Let's examine your own opinion on one of the features.
I would wager a guess that absolutely no one would give a shit if FC5 did have breakable tree branches
And I would wager you would be right. I would also wager it would've been the correct decision to make when your purpose is sales, scores and the average consumer. And I would say that reflects assembly line mentality. For some of us, however, god is in the details and it's those details that make up an identity that FC2 had and that, upon superficial examination, 5 lacks.

The only time one gets such universally agreed upon incremental improvements is with actual assembly line products-
That's a reach. I'd still rather my 190D than any of the newer models. Also, here's an example:
streets-of-rage-1-04.png
streets-of-rage-2-03.png
Those are, respectively, Streets of Rage 1 and 2. Released 1 year apart. The only thing removed by design were the police vehicles and they were replaced by a special move that enhanced the game mechanically by giving you a period of invulnerability and/or considerable damages to enemies in place of a 1-shot-kills-all bomb; there are a couple of weapons missing but likely because of time constraints (there's a whole level around a baseball park and the game is missing the bat as a weapon, which 1 had). And yes, there are people who fault the game for those omissions (as well they should) and yet the game was seen universally as an improvement. But hey, if you liked the 1st better, that's your prerogative.

TL;DR- I liked FC2, warts and all. I find it comical that 5 doesn't have some technical features 2 had 10 years ago. I don't see anything in 5 that makes me want to play it and who knows, maybe I'd like it even better.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Acquired the game. Set difficulty to Hard. First chase scene is impossible to finish because you get shot to shit before the first autosave. :lol:

e: Who the fuck wrote the texts in this game? "Your follower with try to stay stealth"? "Reduces considerably the amount of damage you take"?

Last edited:

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Acquired the game. Set difficulty to Hard. First chase scene is impossible to finish because you get shot to shit before the first autosave. :lol:

e: Who the fuck wrote the texts in this game? "Your follower with try to stay stealth"? "Reduces considerably the amount of damage you take"?
Shit I was thinking the same thing just last night, also after "acquiring" the game. Set the difficulty to Hard because previous FC games were best played at hard due to the multiple methods of dealing with opposition. But of course, the on-rails section with the truck early on where you can't do much but hope you don't run out of medkits and hope to got there's a lull in the fighting so some health can regenerate... uhg.. Ended up turning the difficulty to normal just to get past that section. No-one play-tested this piece of shit on hard?

As for the rest of the game, I've currently gotten so far as liberating the first main town (Fall's End). For some reason though the game's not quite grabbing me yet. Maybe these games are just starting to get too familiar. Story seems to be as garbage as most people have said though - I guess Ubisoft doesn't really care to spring for some decent writing since it sells like gangbusters anyway.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If you ignore the story for the most part and just fuck about it's a decent sandbox since Ubisoft seems to have learned at least a tiny little bit. The game even jokes about it: "Don't worry, I won't have you climbing towers all over the county." Had some funny random moments where wild animals attacked people. Those cougars and bears seem to be a bigger threat than the cult.

ortucis

Prophet
Just started playing it and.. this feels like every other Far Cry game so far. Looks alright, playing it maxed out (except for motion blur), looks like Far Cry: Primal, but with slightly better lighting and shaders.

UBI still hasn't figured out how to add separate sliders for music and SFX, so you can either endure blaring music, or none at all since music can be turned on or off. Also, ran into my first bug where I found that stupid dog from trailers, constantly barking (wanted to shoot, until I realized it's probably the one from trailers). Killed everyone around it and opened the cage.. oh btw, cage lock cannot be shot broken, it can be "punched" open only, amazing. Then it says to "pet him" but no option comes up. Searching on Steam, it's a bug everyone is facing and solution is to kill the dog or run it over, then it re-spawns. Amazing. :lol:

Anyway, stopped playing cause of that bug. Will play some more later. What is funny that since FarCry 3, I have NOT completed a single Far Cry game. It looks like I'll be abandoning this as well since it's same shit all over again. At least it looks nice..

Origin

Augur
Not a masterpiece by any means, but definitely the best far cry game since fc1. Much less clunky to play. This kinda surprised me, as all previous installments bored me to tears after couple of hours.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
There's a few interesting things I've noticed in Far Cry 5:

• Suppressors are not totally silent as they were in previous games. This means that people near you WILL hear suppressed gunfire, but less so at a distance. More realistic I guess.
  • With the exception of a few actions (reviving people and tracking missions comes to mind), all other actions involving the keyboard (grabbing loot/plants/stuff, getting in and out of vehicles, opening containers, etc.) that used to require you to HOLD the use key in previous FC games, now is immediate and only requires a tap of the key. Very help when trying to do things quickly, but it means that if you are flying a plane/helicopter and bump the use key by accident... better hope you've unlocked the wing suit or parachute or are at least over water.
  • When people are talking to you (including quest givers), they react poorly to your pointing your gun with iron sights at them. When you stop aiming at their head they'll calm down and resume talking at whatever point in their speech they got interrupted at. Nice detail.
  • You can kick open doors. I like to do this at the main shop in Fall's End - just kick the fucking door down instead of opening it calmly. The store owner is still happy to trade.
  • You can shoot people and revive them, shoot them in the head then revive them. Not everyone survives by being shot repeatedly but for invulnerable guest givers, they're completely happy to be killed and revived again.
The biggest issue of the game (apart from crap story) is something that's been said by a lot of people - the game just doesn't let up. There's never a quiet moment, it's like living in a Michael Bay universe. It's by far the most chaotic game in the Far Cry series so far. This isn't a good thing - good pacing requires both quiet moments and loud moments.

ortucis

Prophet
I ended up playing it for few more hours. Surprisingly, it's far better than previous Far Cry entries with some extra variations thrown into quests (plant bombs > kill enemies trying to disable them > there is a choppa). But in the end, it just becomes too much since every time you complete a quest and go back to talk to someone, they just hand you another similar quest. Game is best played in small dozes (or do what I'm doing, ignoring most side quests to focus on main story).

Also, the dog is ugly as sin, but act as a moving wall hack for the player, tagging all enemies around him. I keep juggling between him and the lady sniper I rescued (in missions where I am just driving, so she can man the turret on the truck). Reminds me of Far Cry 2, except, the recruited people are actually useful here.

On my adventures, I shot a rocket from a long distance to see if it'll hit the target:

Then I refused to give into the villain's demand to say "YES", so they kept beating this black guy to teach me a lesson:

I still didn't say yes (besides, he seems to be enjoying the beating.. mmmmm?). Eventually, the guy dropped the gun "accidentally" and my character picked it up. I honestly wouldn't have given a flying fuck if they shot them all. The characters are generic "American bad-asses" you see in every other movie, TV show and game, leading "The Resistance". So boring.

Even though the lighting is much better than the last few Far Cry games, they have that retarded HDR eye adaptation similar to ELEX, where it blinds you the moment you go in and out (luckily, it isn't as often as in ELEX, where you're going in and out of rooms constantly). It gives me a headache but it's pretty amateurish. If you've used Unreal 4, you know that there is a time to fade in and out of that adaptation, and if you set it to really slow, it looks realistic and doesn't blind you with a bright white flash. Somehow I doubt it they can't do that in Dunia engine.

The biggest issue of the game (apart from crap story) is something that's been said by a lot of people - the game just doesn't let up. There's never a quiet moment, it's like living in a Michael Bay universe. It's by far the most chaotic game in the Far Cry series so far. This isn't a good thing - good pacing requires both quiet moments and loud moments.

Honestly, they still haven't figured out how to make open world interesting, no game has. Since Far Cry 3, they've been focusing on story and quirky characters, trying to ape GTA, but unlike GTA their writing is not as good (still better than any shit Bethesda has written for its games). There can't be good pacing in an open world game, at least I haven't seen a game pull it off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom