Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry Primal AKA Far Cry with cavemen

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I want a remake of that :

I recently played Far Cry 2 again and while there is simply too much wrong with it, it still does one thing that puts it miles above its sequels. How the fuck they thought that nerving the propagation of fire was a good idea is beyond me. At least blowing up a fuel drum or playing around with a flamethrower in FC2 results in spectacular results. Nothing like having to run from your own handmade inferno.

I really don't see how that one thing can put it "miles above its sequels" or even make it equal to them, which are at least competent enough to be on "mediocre" level. It is is simply a clusterfuck of atrocious game design. One little thing done right can't change much about that.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Not that I'm excited about the game or something, it's gonna be another longwinded hunt for pointless achievements, another typical Ubisoft completionists' hell.

But I'm very curious to see how they managed to create:

1. an FPS sequel without shooting
2. an open-world game set in prehistoric times with enough marginally interesting shit to do

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, Ubisoft is not gonna do a full on RPG. It's gonna be another action game with some meaningless character development (skin 87 boars to raise your arrow capacity by 1, doo eeeet).

Also fat chance for dialogues outside cutscenes. Btw - how are all those cavemen gonna talk, English with primeval accent? Some made up bongo bongo with subtitles? Because Apocalypto was such an unforgettable experience (link icluded because everyone's forgotten).

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
another longwinded hunt for pointless achievements, another typical Ubisoft completionists' hell.

But I'm very curious to see how they managed to create:

1. an FPS sequel without shooting
2. an open-world game set in prehistoric times with enough marginally interesting shit to do
Aliens will show up halfway through the game. You'll gain access to their weaponry.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Better this than Far Cry 5. These 'spin-offs' tend to work better than the main games.

Also:

srdl5iQZ8XGX6.gif

Beastro

Arcane
Interesting setting, terrible developer.

It needs a lot of in depth mechanics and character development to make up for pretty much no weapon development (it would revolve around making better kinds of spears essentially compression 100,000 years of spear development to make very few advancements), with the atlatl assisting in making them throw longer and more accurately. Also Sapien spears were mostly thrown and were overall weaker, worse built weapons. Neandethal spears were heavily built with obsidian tips meant to be carried by both hands into a body. In that respect Sapiens had an advantage being about to carry several spears, and with several people in an ambush, tossing several spears they stood a better chance of killing prey while Neanderthals had to get into a close quarters chase to make a hit, much less a kill.

A nice grey area would be to set it in the Far East, IIRC more of a grey area in that respect where Neanderthals never expanded to and blended with Sapiens to pass on fair skin while Sapiens quickly spread along the Indian Ocean coast.

Depending on the time it's set at the skin colour thing is either accurate or stupid, I'd rather play it safe and have the people look Negrito - aborigine-like like the people of the Adaman Islands who migrated to South East Asia 60,000 years ago and haven't really interbred, the Sentinalese remain xenophobic and have never established contact with the outside world. Setting should be 100,000, but still, this era revolves around tight tribal team work (supplemented by canine family members, dogs were domesticated around 200,000-100,000 years ago) a lone human at this time was a dead one.

If it's 10,000BC or so it's BS. Even by 6000BC even the fricking Orkney's and Shetlands had sophisticated stone building construction and they're on the ass end of civilization.

I hope this isn't just cavemen in skins and just spears, they were more sophisticated than that, they needed to be to survive, but so much of that sophistication has been lost to time.

Beastro

Arcane
Why club is a new weapon? At base, it's nothing more than a short branch a caveman pick up.

Now, axe, axe is a new weapon. To make it you have to know at least how to make a stone knife, then affix it to a short branch with either vine or leather strip. Much advanced weapon than a club.

Axe is a tool of burgeoning civilization repurposed for civilization greatest game, war.

Unless you're splitting logs and doing other stuff around a sedentary lifestyle, like digging in the ground, axes and picks would be useless for anything but killing other people. A spear on the other hand is a hunting weapon repurposed for war and is the reason why it was Mankind's first weapon, we were hunters before we began to use tools to modify the landscape. Bows are in the middle, they're a hunting weapon, but without a cultural sophistication that a sedentary lifestyle brings, they're almost impossible to make - they require a great deal of knowledge about woodworking, if only to know how to bend them without breaking them.

It's why American Indian bows and others from semi-nomadic people were crap that were quickly traded for firearms.

Zeriel

Arcane
The decision to not use English is flabbergasting--it just comes off as lazy as fuck. It's not like they're creating a believable world or anything, it's a Far Cry game, they might as well just forget about being "authentic".

Far Cry: You Still Have Insta-Kill Melee and We Took the Guns Away From Enemies edition?

I'll also be surprised if "stand on top of a rock where the AI can't path to you" isn't a viable strategy for animals.

At least its something different I suppose.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The decision to not use English is flabbergasting--it just comes off as lazy as fuck. It's not like they're creating a believable world or anything, it's a Far Cry game, they might as well just forget about being "authentic".

For me using English would sound ridiculous tbh, even in a game like this. Plus if you watch recent movies/TV shows it seems using "authentic" languages is the new normal now. Gone are the times when Wehrmacht officers talked like the Queen of England with an accent. And I think it's a good thing.

Zeriel

Arcane

For me using English would sound ridiculous tbh, even in a game like this. Plus if you watch recent movies/TV shows it seems using "authentic" languages is the new normal now. Gone are the times when Wehrmacht officers talked like the Queen of England with an accent. And I think it's a good thing.

If they were going to go full hog on the authenticity I could understand it, but it just strikes me as using budget voices or something. It serves no actual purpose here. This isn't a historically accurate game, it's pure popcorn fantasy.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let me guess the story. Evil tribe kills your tribe, family and so on, you manage to escape and you spend the last 10 years in the wild, taming animals just to get your revenge one day.

Athos

Arcane
Depending on the time it's set at the skin colour thing is either accurate or stupid, I'd rather play it safe and have the people look Negrito - aborigine-like like the people of the Adaman Islands who migrated to South East Asia 60,000 years ago and haven't really interbred, the Sentinalese remain xenophobic and have never established contact with the outside world. Setting should be 100,000, but still, this era revolves around tight tribal team work (supplemented by canine family members, dogs were domesticated around 200,000-100,000 years ago) a lone human at this time was a dead one.

If it's 10,000BC or so it's BS. Even by 6000BC even the fricking Orkney's and Shetlands had sophisticated stone building construction and they're on the ass end of civilization.

From what I understood, the game is set in the Mesolithic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Neither mammohts or smilodons existed in 10000 BC no more and if they did they mustve been as rare as a white rhino. Plus yeah, 10000 BC is not exactly a cavemen era anymore, people had been pretty sophisticated in art, stone working, ceramics etc for thousands of years by that point.

Zeriel

Arcane
Neither mammohts or smilodons existed in 10000 BC no more and if they did they mustve been as rare as a white rhino. Plus yeah, 10000 BC is not exactly a cavemen era anymore, people had been pretty sophisticated in art, stone working, ceramics etc for thousands of years by that point.

Actually, the last mammoth died about 4,000 years ago. These were isolated cases, but they would have been fairly widespread in the 10,000 BC era when they went extinct elsewhere, presumedly in the game's fiction due to naughty humans.

It disappeared from its mainland range at the end of the Pleistocene 10,000 years ago, most likely through climate change and consequent shrinkage of its habitat, hunting by humans, or a combination of the two. Isolated populations survived on St. Paul Island until 6,400 years ago and Wrangel Island until 4,000 years ago.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Depends where exactly is the game taking place, I just don't suppose it's in some remote island areas. I bet it's something AWESOME like "Paris" or some such.

Zeriel

Arcane
I believe they let on it's supposed to be 10,000 BCE (roughly) France, but as cover it is a fictional place. Anyway around 10,000 BCE certainly would let mammoths be around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom