Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Fargo&Inxile - The positive angle

Father Foreskin

Learned
While shitting on Fargo&Inxile has become a fine pasttime which i have truly immersed myself in, would it be objective to look at the positives for once?

1. They make the kind of games they pitch. You dont have to fear you end up with a facebook platformer if you pledge for a single player rpg.

2. Their games are not microtransaction or empty-dlc infested.

3. They attempt to fix their fuckups to a degree.

Anything else?

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
While shitting on Fargo&Inxile has become a fine pasttime which i have truly immersed myself in, would it be objective to look at the positives for once?

1. They make the kind of games they pitch. You dont have to fear you end up with a facebook platformer if you pledge for a single player rpg.

Anything else?
You might as well give them points for not donating the proceeds to ISIS if that is what you're coming up with.

hellbent

Augur
Their release of Tides of Numanuma gave me a smug sense of satisfaction for not committing any of my hard-earned sheckels to the KS campaign.

:keepmyjewgold:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Their games have yet to meet the created expectations, but I think they're still miles above the inane shit closer to the mainstream. The good thing about this is that nobody should have too high expectations anymore for Bard's Tale or Wasteland 3, so there's no getting disappointed over preconcieved views that would colour the experience (if there was one, and there's sure to be... the 'dex won't leave them unplayed).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Positives?

inXile's two released games are kind of fun. Not fun enough that most players would finish them or want to finish them, not worth $40, but fun enough to enjoy on and off for awhile.

If WL2 had released at $30 and Torment was $15 then I would think more positively of inXile games.

Rev

Arcane
The only positive angle I can think of is that they really gave us some fun times here on the Codex, with all the drama about the canceled interview and everything that followed up until the T:ToN thread. That was worth the 40 $ I pledged to their games (WL2 and Numenera), even if their games were not.

Ulfhednar

Savant

Not even remotely true... The only thing they get right is that they pitch an amazing game... if they would ever actually live up to the pitch they made. They don't because they are scammers and Brian spends all the money on lawyers to make sure he can't be sued when fig inevitably falls apart and buying new offices in New Orleans because... reasons.

I never made it past the ag center in WL2 or out of Sagus Cliffs in T:ToN - why would I spend any more money on their games?

You could maybe argue this for the director's cut of WL2 - I doubt we will see any new additions to T:ToN after Oom.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never made it past the ag center in WL2 or out of Sagus Cliffs in T:ToN - why would I spend any more money on their games?

If you didn't make it past Ag.Center in WL2 or Sagus Cliffs in T:ToN maybe you shouldn't play RPGs in general? I mean with the attention span of a goldfish, this genre is apparently not for you.
Maybe go for Fallout 4 which has enough moles to pop and will keep you interested?

Sheesh with the fucking edgelords in here

orcinator

Liturgist

If you didn't make it past Ag.Center in WL2 or Sagus Cliffs in T:ToN maybe you shouldn't play RPGs in general? I mean with the attention span of a goldfish, this genre is apparently not for you.
Maybe go for Fallout 4 which has enough moles to pop and will keep you interested?

Remember kids, if you can't stand some of the absolute worst examples of a genre, then it's not for you!

Ulfhednar

Savant

At least FO3 and FO4 knew exactly what they wanted to be - console games for console-tards. InXile went and told the RPG community that they wanted to make real RPGs, and then threw their audience under the bus with super-shitty console games that you can also play on PC. InXile is cancer, and they deserve every bit of edge they get. That's what happens when you cut every corner that you possibly can with money that you took in good faith.

Yeah, sure, WL2 is one of the worst examples of the genre :roll:

Only if T:ToN gets to be the worst example of the genre.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least FO3 and FO4 knew exactly what they wanted to be

Say what? :lol: Bethesda games are exactly the opposite of "knowing what they want to be", they're the result of 100 developers throwing shit on a canvas at random and seeing what comes of it, and the only thing that's predefined is the canvas.

Ulfhednar

Savant
At least FO3 and FO4 knew exactly what they wanted to be

Say what? :lol: Bethesda games are exactly the opposite of "knowing what they want to be", they're the result of 100 developers throwing shit on the canvas at random and seeing what comes of it, and the only thing that's predefined is the canvas.
And they sold a metric ton of those games to console-tards. Which is exactly what they wanted to do. It's not a great game, much less a great RPG, but Bethseda knew exactly what they were doing when they made it.

InXile came to RPG fans and asked for money to make real RPGs, and then tried to make some console bullshit. They forgot that they're not Bethseda and the secret to making RPGs for the old school:

So fuck them.

polo

Magister
Their release of Tides of Numanuma gave me a smug sense of satisfaction for not committing any of my hard-earned sheckels to the KS campaign.

:keepmyjewgold:
Right in the feels, i should've refunded when the codex fiasco happened.

imweasel

Nobody cares about that, OP. Codexers were expecting Black Isle quality from Inxile (or Obisidian) and disappointed for not getting it after forking out that Kickstarter cash. Don't expect much positivity until they finally deliver.

Yeah, sure, WL2 is one of the worst examples of the genre :roll:
That would probably be PoE. We expected a mix of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and were served dog shit on a platter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom