Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Boss Fights in PC Games

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Regale us with your favorite boss fights in PC games, be they FPS, action adventure, or RPG (I don't want to make the same thread on the RPG board just for RPGs) Note this relates to PC games only, not consoles. So yeah you can't include Shadow of the Colossus

Before I state mine, I would like to say I am extremely disappointed in the way boss fights have been handled for the past decade overall. Much of the decline came from God of War (console game I know but bear with me) and it's retarded QTEs. It was cool and different the first time, now it is annoying as shit.

I remember being disappointed with the boss battles in Arkham City which I beat recently. The fighting thugs in the main game is a tone of fun as you have so many options, but suddenly in boss fights you have only one specific method of defeating the boss, aside from the Mr. Freeze battle. What's the point of all your gadgets if they will be rendered useless like that? Thugs you can beat with your hands easily anyway.

I far prefer the way older games, especially RPGs used to do it. Have a massive boss and just give it a shit ton hp, armor, and some overpowered unique attacks. Then you use all the abilities your character(s) have and chip away until it is dead.

Here are the memorable ones off the top of my head:

-Baldurs Gate 2. Dragon Fights especially, the Twisted Rune (ofcourse) and some end quest fights. Mini bosses that level drained were annoying as fuck though
-Icewind Dale 1 & 2
-Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II). This is the pinnacle of what boss fights should be, especiallly the way they are set up and start, with a narration from Qu Rahn
-Jedi Knight II reborn fights. (mini bosses I suppose)

Just a couple from off the top of my head.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I want my boss fight to be hard as fuck. Zero tolerance for error. Makes it a really special moment when you defeat them after failing forever until you perfect your skills.

Unfortunately most recent popamole games don't have boss fights like this.

On the top of my head, one of the more intense boss fight is the four dragons raid boss from one of Borderlands 2's dlcs. It's pretty tense, even with exploiting glitches and such.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Memorable because it was tremendously challenging:

Kriegor.jpg

I am the Alpha and the Omega.

Memorable because there was so much build-up
WaltonSimons.jpg

Another four billion dollars down the drain...

Memorable because it was such a mindfuck:

Master_(Fallout).jpg

Will you join the unity? Or will you die here? Join. DIE! Join. DIE!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Curse of the Azure Bonds. - It's not just that the end boss himself is a Frost Giant, but he's brought ALL of his minions and mooks with him. IIRC the sheer amount of baddies would make the Infinity engine cry in the corner before crashing.

Baldur's Gate 2 - The Demogorgon fight made all the other fights seem kinda trivial.

Eye of the Beholder 2 - Oh look, the bad guy that's been taunting me the whole game is finally fighting me. Oh look, he's just a wimpy-ass cleric. Oh look, he's dead alrea- HOLY SHIT HE'S NOT DEAD HE'S A... RUNRUNRUN CLOSETHEDOOR... Phew, he's not gon- HE JUST STOMPED THROUGH THE DAMN DOOROHFUCKFUCK. :)

Doom - Cyberdemon. CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP...

Serious Sam: The First Encounter - Ugh-Zan III. Holy shit that fucker is huge.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Boss fights are gay.

But I liked fighting that Brayko in AP cause the music made it good.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
goldenaxe-genesis1.png

It took me ten years to beat Death Adder
but I only started up Golden Axe three to five times during the interval

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Didn't like most boss fights, I'm totally against the idea of that.
The traditional 'boss' fight implies fighting against some superpowered asshole who had cheap attacks like bullet hell smhups while you die in one graze.
BUT - I enjoyed Freespace 2's campaign grand finale.
That was really something. You blew up the 'Boss' only to discover it was just the 'first of many'.

The fact they did it IN-GAME while during mission made it even more awesome.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The first time I blew up an Imperial Star Destroyer in X-Wing.

Xeon

Augur
I don't like boss battles, I think Skyrim's final boss approach was kinda good since it simply made it seem like a normal enemy fight but with some fluff.

Most memorable was probably Final Fantasy IX's Ozma, I reloaded so many times trying different tactics to kill it without using underhanded tricks.

Edit:
Have not played it but I still liked some of the boss battles in Dark Souls, Like the Wolf or Wyvern/Dragon fights.

Psquit

Arcane
Grim fandango
Domino was such a pimp.

Contra hard cocks corps

Gunstar heroes

I dunno... Anything that isnt a QUICK TIME EVENT SHITFEST OF A BOSS OR COCKTEASING NON BOSS BATTLES WHERE YOU ARE LIKE "OH SNAP BOSS FIGHT" THEN THE BOSS JUST SAYS NAH IM KIDDING NO BOSS FIGHTS IN THIS GAME.

Jonas (SotC)
comet-12.png
Erwinek_4f35534001cb6.png
Blud (Abyss of Pandemonium)
qaop1.JPG
Motaro (MK3)
images
Sabaoth (Doom 3)
Sabaoth.jpg
Dragon (Dissolution of Eternity)
Dragon6.PNG
Klocek (Franko)
z7630562O.jpg
Pestilence & rest of Horsemen (Hexen II)
2uy0kcj.gif
Sorano (Bulletstorm)
Anime-Shingeki-no-Kyojin-Sasha-Browse-899891.jpeg

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
Of the games I played in the last years, I liked the bosses of God of Thunder.
They had a good mix between silliness in design and strategy, luck and perseverance to beat them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4fwVYI4qk&list=PLD6A5CCDFBE0B5EF4

I want my boss fight to be hard as fuck. Zero tolerance for error. Makes it a really special moment when you defeat them after failing forever until you perfect your skills.

Unfortunately most recent popamole games don't have boss fights like this.
If you like Jump'n'Runs Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams might be for you. Good game anyway, and the Boss Fights were really tough.
I think they patched some of it out, though, because people were complaining. IIRC originally less than 5% of people who made it to the last boss were able to beat him.
I didn't, either. But every time I almost made it, it was because I made a tiny mistake. So the fight was never unfair, it was just very hard.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
SHODAN in System Shock. Cyberspace ftw. :incline:
Shub Niggurath in Quake, just because of the way you kill it.
Nihilanth in Half-Life for the sheer weirdness.
Xan Kriegor in UT99. Amazing AI for a really tough fight.
Duriel in Diablo 2. That fucker is tough.
Painkiller's are indeed cool.
I don't know if the Avatar in Dungeon Keeper counts, but in any case he raped my army the first time I played that level.

Psquit

Arcane
Mr. X is such a boss.
Megadrive-Genesis-Streets-of-Rage-2-Stage-08-FINAL-15-BOSS-MR.-MISTER-X.jpg

mrx.jpg
Robo_X.jpg
Robo x is also boss as fuck.

His theme is also boss

OBVIOUS CHOICE IS OBVIOUS:salute:
Ornstein_Smough.jpg

YOU CAME TO WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHERFUCKER

also:
firkraag, demogorgon, darth sion, Looking Glass Knight on NG+, most boss battles in Dragons Dogma:M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom