Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite Bosses/Final Levels

Ivan

Arcane
Playing through Dark Souls' 2 Crown of the Ivory King and it featured one of the best boss fights I've ever partook in in a game and got to thinking about how it stacked against my other favorites. What are your favorite boss fights, or climactic moments in a game?

Senator Armstrong (Very Hard Mode)

Devil Hand

Land of the Livid Dead

Virgil 3

Sir Alonne

Ebonsword

Arcane
I'm not sure that I can think of a final level that I like.

Usually, by that point in the game, I've done everything that there is to be done and seen all there is to be seen. The final level/final boss are an annoying obstacle to get through in order to say that I completed the game (or, perhaps, to unlock additional content).

When playing through games multiple times, it's not uncommon for me to get to the final level/final boss and stop.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This comes to mind:

For final levels, the astral plane in Nethack is pretty awesome too. Aside from the whole setup of getting their and what you need to do, I love the fact that the three horsemen are waiting for you there (with the unspoken insinuation that you, having murdered your way there, are the horseman of war.)

The final stage of Cave Story is excellent as well, with a solid boss fight (somewhat less solid once you learn how to cheese it.)

I'm also partial to final showdowns where the player has some sort of special power they didn't have for the rest of the game (actual power mind you, not some stupid 'use the Plot spell/item to automatically win/make the fight winnable' shit.) Plenty of games do that though, no point in singling them out.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
The final boss of Panzer Dragoon Orta was always one of my favorite boss fights because of how well the theme of the game, the environment, and the music compliment the fight:

Declinator

Arbiter
There really are very few bosses that could be called even fun. In addition to the above-mentioned Dark Souls bosses I'd say Alma from Ninja Gaiden deserves a mention:

The last boss in Knights of the Chalice (the dragon and dozens of weaker enemies) is one of the best turn-based RPG bosses (though certainly not without its faults.)

FTL final boss is also one of my favorites, not least because you can use multiple different strategies to beat it.

And for some non-traditional "bosses": Soviet Union in HoI3 is a delicious enemy.
LAIWrlE.jpg

dunno lah

Arcane
My favourite games had my favourite final levels/bosses. Those are Super Castlevania IV, Fallout and Metal Gear 2.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The final level of Doom sticks with me, even if it's easy once you "get" it. It was more the culmination of playing a brilliant game and ending up on a clusterfuck of a level, with all your enemies warping in, fighting both you and themselves, scrambling wildly to pick up ammo and figure it out. Hell of a lot of fun.

Deleted member 7219

I'm not a combatfag, so I like final levels which let me try different approaches, or take in the choices I've made. Being able to do a stealth takedown, turn systems on the boss, or take a more peaceful approach all score points with me.

The Witcher 2 Letho fight springs to mind, as it is possible to have a drink with the guy and avoid fighting him entirely.

There are others, but that was the first I thought of.

Ivan

Arcane
The hardest (optional) boss in the entire Souls series, particularly because he has the stamina ring.

I also got some Colossus vibes from the Astraea fight

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
latest

Piggsy is an obese, middle aged man, also mentally disturbed and cannibalistic mass murderer who wears a skinned pig's head over his face and slaughters his victims with a chainsaw. He is almost completely inhuman in behavior and has lost all connection with reality. His mental state has degraded into an animalistic and child-like state, as he seems to only be capable of speaking a few basic words and mimicking a pig's grunts and squeals. He is a remorseless killer, butchering all those who come across his path with his chainsaw.

You will squeal like a piggy when he comes for you. One of the best newer adrenaline rush inducing bosses, making those horrible noises and scenting you around.

Rabbid

Savant
Tabuu, not only for the fight itself though. The combination of atmosphere, build-up and his attacks made the gameplay live up to the status of a powerful foe, as portrayed by the cinematics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom