Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fig - a new equity-based crowdfunding platform - shut down, RIP

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hmmmm... this fig thing is really something that brings confidence, first some indie walking simulator then some indie F2P Diablo clone, two of the least represented genres on today's market.

Looks like they got their target audience...

...figured out.

:negative:

Fairfax

Arcane
They have to use Unity 5 for Eternity 2 by necessity, but nothing's stopping them from using UE4 for new projects now. https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/OpenWorldTools/
I agree, but if it's a self-funded/crowdfunded game, I doubt they will. Unity doesn't have any royalties, while the Epic takes 5%(which can be negotiated) off gross revenue. Using the UE4 over Unity actually saves money during the development process, of course, but most devs are too cheap to realize that and/or want to use Unity's asset store quite heavily in the game.
Perhaps things will change once some of the KS games using UE4 come out.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Checked out the video, and the game seems pretty cool. The funny thing is that if this had been on kickstarter, they would have probably collected a third of the funds by now. But it will struggle on fig, just like the last time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree, but if it's a self-funded/crowdfunded game, I doubt they will. Unity doesn't have any royalties, while the Epic takes 5%(which can be negotiated) off gross revenue. Using the UE4 over Unity actually saves money during the development process, of course, but most devs are too cheap to realize that and/or want to use Unity's asset store quite heavily in the game.
Perhaps things will change once some of the KS games using UE4 come out.

Obsidian is fully aware of what a pain it is to work with Unity though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Lol at this aRPG. Graphics and art style is terrible. They might add coop play, WTF?! F2P games assume full MP support from day 1.

The way to combine skills seems more like it is will play like WoW the macros games. And they are trying to get money in a way that CS:GO does expect worse. Also why would I KS a game that is going to be F2P later anyways?!

They got no big old school fanbase, they go no cool aRPG here fanbase and they got nothing to offer for poor people like me that gets games cheaper through KSs.
And out of first 95k 91k is from invester lol.

Perkel

Arcane
Obsidian is fully aware of what a pain it is to work with Unity though.

Do they ? I mean they choose Unity instead of their engine or UE4 or even UE3.5. I think they are pretty sure what engine is capable of and what pros and cons it have. In the end they delivered best looking isometric RPG that have fancy graphics and still runs like butter.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Do they ? I mean they choose Unity instead of their engine or UE4 or even UE3.5. I think they are pretty sure what engine is capable of and what pros and cons it have. In the end they delivered best looking isometric RPG that have fancy graphics and still runs like butter.

Unreal Engine had horrendous licensing for smaller budget games when PoE was first being worked on.
Their licensing is now very very competitive with Unity. (better)

Saying that Obsidian should have magically known ahead of time that UE would stop jewing their customers is a little unfair and that's coming from me..

Perkel

Arcane
94 backers, 95k raised. Around 1k average pledge? lel wat

investment. It isn't crowdfunding in strict sense like kickstarter. You pay money and you get your money + some % of them.
some people rather invest couple of $$$ than just 30$
Project CARS had similar idea and they payed out people just recently.

Idea of FIG is good but it will take time and few good games to start rolling.

also one at the time have pros and cons...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
tbh the fig homepage doesn't really look like the kind of place where millionaires hang out. I wonder if there's a secret VIP portal or something.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
also they try to get funding for game that features in game currency which you can buy with real money...

lol

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's not a bad system really - you're guaranteed to have a successful campaign, you don't have to waste a lot of money and effort on backer updates (because nobody reads them anyway), and you still gain a few actual investors.

This could be quite attractive for games that could never get crowd funded anyway.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's not a bad system really - you're guaranteed to have a successful campaign, you don't have to waste a lot of money and effort on backer updates (because nobody reads them anyway), and you still gain a few actual investors.

This could be quite attractive for games that could never get crowd funded anyway.
It's still strange, this is the kind of game that could easily get money through more traditional means. Though I guess it doesn't exclude having a big investor, it's still strange cause it looks more like the dev is doing the work of promoting the platform rather than the other way around. :M

I mean I just don't see what benefit you get from fig.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Less fees to pay? I honestly don't know.

I guess it could help if the platform only focuses on video games, which seems to be the point of FIG.

I'm still not convinced, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom