Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Alright...120+ hours in, got the Platinum Trophy. Did 1 menace dungeon. Don't see the point of doing them.

The turtle fight was stupid...It was just a test of your patience?

I'm gonna call this done for now unless some interesting DLC shows up.

:4/5: would play again.

Zep--

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm really curious now about the disagreement between Zarniwoop and everyone else. It's like you're not even living on the same planet. I'm assuming that none of you are crazy or brain dead, and that you must have legitimate reasons for your opinions.

So in order to fly, swoop, teleport, dodge, block, and attack, or whatever else you do in the trailers, do you have to use more than one button? In order to beat the fights do you have to use more than one button? Or can you sleep through the fights with a rubber band holding the attack button down? Do you get through most fights by spamming just one attack over and over?

Those of you who liked the combat (I guess Zarniwoop is the only one), do you like fighting games? Everyone else, do you like turn-based tactical? Where do you stand on Diablo-esque click-to-win fighting?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
, do you have to use more than one button?

There is nothing wrong with using one button, see baldur's gate series or fallout or even the earlier final fantasies, where you use 1 mouse click for attacking and basicaly you then sit and wait for the outcome, but there are rules which govern that mouse click, now the proper question is do FF 15 has rules ?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm really curious now about the disagreement between Zarniwoop and everyone else. It's like you're not even living on the same planet. I'm assuming that none of you are crazy or brain dead, and that you must have legitimate reasons for your opinions.

So in order to fly, swoop, teleport, dodge, block, and attack, or whatever else you do in the trailers, do you have to use more than one button? In order to beat the fights do you have to use more than one button? Or can you sleep through the fights with a rubber band holding the attack button down? Do you get through most fights by spamming just one attack over and over?

Those of you who liked the combat (I guess Zarniwoop is the only one), do you like fighting games? Everyone else, do you like turn-based tactical? Where do you stand on Diablo-esque click-to-win fighting?
They are faggots and liars. Or pulling a Roguey.

Circle attacks
Triangle teleports
X jumps
Square blocks/dodges
L1 and the d-pad gives special attack orders to your team mates.

How in the effing fucks is that one button?

It's pretty much like the Ass Creed series or Batman Arkham games combat wise. Except everyone doesn't stand in line and hit you one at a time with an icon over their heads.

GrainWetski

Arcane

They are faggots and liars. Or pulling a Roguey.

Circle attacks
Triangle teleports
X jumps
Square blocks/dodges
L1 and the d-pad gives special attack orders to your team mates.

How in the effing fucks is that one button?

It's pretty much like the Ass Creed series or Batman Arkham games combat wise. Except everyone doesn't stand in line and hit you one at a time with an icon over their heads.

High praise.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The biggest disappointment is the lack of substantial waifus. Not even waifu to play as so I can watch ass jiggle physics while playing the shitty combat.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Just finished this. What a shit game. Played the Nier Automata demo afterwards and it's like night and day, the latter has such great mobility, responsiveness and actually promotes skill play. How can you screw up a Dragon's Dogma clone this badly?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
O6HNupT.jpg

Red Rogue

Learned
Just beat this last night, dumped about 63 hrs into it.
It was barely an RPG, I'd really call it more of an action game. I'd have to say that I had fun with it at the end of the day, but there is some serious oversights.

-Dialog lines constantly repeating
-Boring bargain bin filler sidequests
-Pretty much the entirety of Chapter 13
-Very scarce party character development
-"Hold down attack buton" combat, I wouldve honestly preferred Kingdom Hearts. At least make me press the button, fuck.
-No feature to pass the time without resting
-The story tells too much, and shows too little.

That's just off the top of my head.
Wouldn't call the game a complete waste of time, but I also wouldn't recommend anybody spends over 20$ on it unless they're a fan.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...inal-fantasy-15-copies-shipped-and-downloaded

Square Enix trumpets 6m Final Fantasy 15 copies shipped and downloaded

Final Fantasy 15 has now shipped and digitally sold 6m copies, publisher Square Enix announced today. It sounds like a lot - but how well is it doing?

That total refers to sold digital copies but only shipped physical editions - meaning those which have been produced and sold to retailers, but not necessarily sold to the public.

Japanese sales are currently down around 1m copies when compared to Final Fantasy 13 - although some of this can be blamed on the country's shrinking home console market.

Square Enix has, however, managed to shore up the game's Asian sales total by selling 15 in China - where 13 was not released.

Western sales of 15 are better, and Square Enix is pushing the game's upcoming roster of free and paid-for DLC hard to ensure it remains in the public eye and in your console disc tray.

Final Fantasy 15's free holiday pack is available to download now, for example, and contains some extra gear. There's also a paid-for version, the Holiday Pack+, with even more gear and a full festival outfit.

Download either and you'll get the "Moogle Chocobo Carnival" to visit your game, starting on Tuesday, 24th January for a limited time.

tet666

Augur
Again with the "shipped" data ...
I sure hope it didn't meet their expectations since all that would do is encourage them to make more shitty open world action rpgs in the future but of course the chance that anything SE makes will not be shit is slim to begin with.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Again with the "shipped" data ...
I sure hope it didn't meet their expectations since all that would do is encourage them to make more shitty open world action rpgs in the future but of course the chance that anything SE makes will not be shit is slim to begin with.
gotta create that false perception of the demand somehow hahahaha

most of the shipped copies are probably rotting in best buy's or walmart warehouses

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Doesn't really sound like a resounding success. Production costs and especially the marketing budget were through the roof (presumably), but the game did (in my perception) disappear really quickly from public perception shortly after release. It didn't even have angry articles / fans like XIII, which points to a meh reception (admittedly, I don't really follow the gaming press / FF fan scene, so my impression may be not accurate).
Chances for a PC port are probably increasing if they have to recoup money.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Final Fantasy XV feels a bit like the spinoff it was originally intended to be as far as game mechanics go. If they increased the focus on hunts and possibly crafting they could pull it off a little better, possibly when they add some sort of online component. I forsee co-op, arenas, and buddy hunts in the World of Ruin with Cindy, Iris, Aranea, and Cor as NPC's to fuck around with.

At this point it feels a bit like a poorly done Souls Square style without the lore dumps scattered around the world. A lot of the story complaints could be handled with a few lore dumps and exposition vie NPC's. The optional dungeons offer a challenge that is non existent from the vanilla game, so they will most likely expand those along with the character based DLC. Ultimately we have an action RPG that has been further streamlined into simplicity with some fairly good exploration/dungeon crawling involved. Most of the good dungeons are not unlocked until after you beat the game which is a change for the series. It reeks more of Bethesda really.

It needed another 6 months to be pulled off a little better, but people would have flipped out. It does have the best fishing minigame I have ever played in it and the photography mechanic is decent although it could have been improved with a firstperson view. The repeated dialog is atrocious, but if you are playing during the story it doesn't repeat as much. I would have those barks decreased by 75% at least.

"Sounds like a waste of time and money" says Ignis. I'm sure many here would agree with you buddy. This game isn't exactly geared to the Codex crowd, but those who like JRPG's will most likely find something enjoyable. I think a lot of the hate from the FF fanbase is largely due to a rabid following of any Versus material the past decade. If you keep building the game up to be something it is not, you will undoubtedly be disappointed. This is not disregarding any of the games faults, like the real time combat, plot holes, and relegating key plot points to 2 mediocre movie tie-ins. If you play on Wait mode with the camera sensitivity turned down you can alleviate some issues.

Still that being said the companion control is severely limited to the point where I don't know what they were thinking. Even adding similar abilities to other party members like some sort of Rally ability from Glados to duplicate the Regroup Ignis has, or extra firearm attacks for Prompto would have worked. I would have extended the "sphere" grid a lot. No limit breaks for the characters sucks dick too. Links don't replace that.

I am surprised to see how well Warp worked out, but I dislike how they gutted the magic system by limiting spell types. For a game of this type the crafting options are non existent. Final Fantasy VIII had the weapon upgrades you got from monster loot which would have worked here for other things besides weapons. Cid's weapon upgrades were too limited.

The Astrals are awesome, but they are limited and triggered rarely unless you get your ass kicked. They are basically nukes, but you can get cool shit like this:

It feels like they gutted the Final Fantasy XIII elements and replaced them with Arthurian/Christian mythology without expounding on the lore as much. A lot is left for interpretation or more likely DLC. People complained about Final Fantasy XIII being too linear and having too many cutscenes, but this game didn't have enough linear story beats or lore dumps. It shouldn't be hard to scatter a bunch of that shit across the world in magazines or collectibles to appease the lore whores.

Overall it is one of the more divisive entries in the series, but still a decent one considering the development issues. This is the first mainline entry to feature a Season Pass I think so there is that. I recall reading that Final Fantasy VII was completed in a little over a year because they focused on the tech first, then the game after the fact. This game feels a bit like that with adjusted development time for 2016.

They need to remove the invisible wall shit and add some fucking NPC's to TALK to like in the old games. The world feels lifeless when you can't talk to a fucking thing. The ambient dialog/storytelling is hit or miss in those regards. A lot of the main story is told through missable random chats heard while running around from no-name NPC's. You can really tell this is Square's early attempt at capitalizing off the Ubisoft/GTA crowd. Removing turn based is probably the biggest issue right off the bat, along with removing companion control which they are so intent on for some reason I will never understand. Ardyn is a pretty good Kefkaesque style villain actually, but he has very little development. Chapter 13 is a definite low point when it switches to survival horror for the whole fucking thing then they remove your party in the final battle. So many poor choices mixed in with good potential mar what would have been a return to form.

Kingsglaive and Brotherhood being relegated to side stories when they are vital to certain character motivations is stupid as hell. Ravos gets no love in the game, but is vital to the movie. Luna is in the movie, but not as much in the game along with Regis and General Glauca - one of the most wasted villains in recent memory. You liked the Judges? Here is a guy who has that persona mixed in with a fucking Terminator but they leave him to fight Nyx, which only has a minor role in a missable novella prologue and a background cameo in the final battle. Weird as shit. Square Enix is insane.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Just beat this last night, dumped about 63 hrs into it.
It was barely an RPG, I'd really call it more of an action game. I'd have to say that I had fun with it at the end of the day, but there is some serious oversights.

-Dialog lines constantly repeating
-Boring bargain bin filler sidequests
-Pretty much the entirety of Chapter 13
-Very scarce party character development
-"Hold down attack buton" combat, I wouldve honestly preferred Kingdom Hearts. At least make me press the button, fuck.
-No feature to pass the time without resting
-The story tells too much, and shows too little.

That's just off the top of my head.
Wouldn't call the game a complete waste of time, but I also wouldn't recommend anybody spends over 20$ on it unless they're a fan.

Oh fucking wow.

Shit

You can actually just hold down the buttan and it auto-awesomes :rage: :rage:

I take back what I said about the combat. It sucks and everything is shit. God dammit Codex why did you tell me this?

Or, I'll just not be a massive faggot and just not use the cheat, play like I didn't know about it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No you can't just hold down the button and auto awesome. It's a bit more in depth than that. People are fucking stupid. So much of the hate for this game is based on misinformation, like people saying the main quest is so short when I beat Final Fantasy VII at 20 hours, which is what people keep saying they beat XV at.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Obviously boss fights don't work like that, but for the millions of trash mobs that literally fall out of the sky, you can pretty much hold down the button and it awesomes. Which I didn't know until I read this thread.

If you fight bosses or go into dungeons under-leveled, you will get your ass handed to you p. quickly with that "tactic".

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In a time when a lot of action and jrpg are taking the exact opposite aproach to design from square, making their games more demanding, more complex, we get final fantasy xv dumbing down every single gameplay system they can get away with while still being able to call it an rpg.

tet666

Augur
In a time when a lot of action and jrpg are taking the exact opposite aproach to design from square, making their games more demanding, more complex, we get final fantasy xv dumbing down every single gameplay system they can get away with while still being able to call it an rpg.

FIFA 17 is way more of an RPG then this.

Red Rogue

Learned

The first screen of the game is practically a disclaimer.
"A Final Fantasy fans and newcomers alike"

Which really means
"Hey, we really needed this game to sell and we don't have enough balls to make anything about it intimidating so that people tell their friends not to buy it."

Red Rogue

Learned
That's what I did. Like you mentioned, holding down the button and powering through mobs is easily done, but I had a much better time just pretending it was Kingdom Hearts and pressing the button regardless. Using warp strikes, spells, and team abilities when I really didn't have to kept the game entertaining for me

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If you fight bosses or go into dungeons under-leveled, you will get your ass handed to you p. quickly with that "tactic".

However the game did away with the usual "once your HP hits 0, game over" thing. You can go into a dungeon underleveled and get hit by the boss for all your HP and you just go into the weakened status (or whatever it's called), where ANY recovery item will return you to life. It's only when you get hit AGAIN in that status that you go into PRE-DEATH, where using a Phoenix Down will return you to life. Hitting that pre-death is rare enough that just carrying enough Potions and Hi-potions (both extremely cheap) you can pretty much guarantee you will beat any dungeon by attrition. Furthermore, if you save your Summon for the end boss, just let him whomp on you as much as needed, Potion up whenever you are "weakened" (aka your HP reached 0), wait for the Summon music and then let it instakill it. Real fucking challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom