Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Hyperion

Arcane
If you get hit hard enough, it will one shot you. It's essentially 2 separate health bars, and any excess damage through your main bar will damage the secondary one. Can confirm after getting wrecked by the Samurai at the limestone area of the mines in the first area.

RapineDel

Augur
I finished this and did most of the content. It's garbage despite me hoping it would improve once I got access to optional stuff.

- Story appeared rushed and there's pretty much zero character development outside weirdly placed optional scenes at camp sites.
- Combat sucks and doesn't work once you arrive in the second area as the camera is almost always stuck behind bushes/trees. It's also beyond awful when fighting large enemies, really only tolerable when fighting groups of small enemies.
- Boss fights are easily the worst in the series, are not designed for the battle system at all.
- Exploration is non existent outside a few items and dungeons. Randomly placed items are the only thing in the world outside mobs.
- Dungeons themselves range from tolerable to seriously tedious, especially Costlemark which appeared to be the devs way of pushing for that 100 hour mark for players who did everything.
- The car is seriously one of the worst inclusion I've seen in one of these sandboxes. What were they thinking? I get the roadtrip aspect but when they have to push nostalgic old music onto you in an attempt to make it interesting it's clear this should've been cut and just replaced with a permanent chocobo.

Pros? Didn't mind the OST, probably its only redeeming quality.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also that fucking huge snake thing near the waterfall. Why does it always have to be snakes?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
One shot you into near-death state, which just means pop a Phoenix Down or Mega Phoenix (of which you find a shitload) and keep playing. I did not get a single game over in the entire game's length and I was tackling those weapon dungeons with underleveled characters.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The snake thing dangers you in one hit, then hits you again before you can use a Phoenix Down. Same with some other bosses.
Also those downs and potions are hella expensive, like 400 bucks where most of your "treasures" sell for like 100-200 and you only get 1 per fight.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wrong, I beat that boss after about 70 potions and 30 hipotions, and only used maybe 6 phoenix downs.

P-downs are expensive (1k), that's how I know I didn't use many of them, but potions are dirt cheap.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
If anything you will be holding down the lockon button and warp striking to break horns off of mobs more often than simply holding it down.

Max Stats

Liturgist
Glad I stuck to my guns and waited until I could find this on sale. But $40 still seems high considering it's apparently still not finished. 10 years wasn't enough? Funny how in 10 years they could put out 1-7, but not get this one done. Bloated development is the death of gaming.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The most interesting development in Squaresoft since its merger with Enix in 2002 has been its inability to punctually develop a single major game. In the entire Final Fantasy series up to that point, the most trouble they had ever experienced occurred with Final Fantasy VII, their first 3D game, and even that was handled without too much difficulty, while they developed in total 10 Final Fantasies from 1987 to 2001 and the MMORPG Final Fantasy XI released in 2002 before the merger, not to mention numerous other games. Then Final Fantasy XII had a troubled development with its director resigning and significant delays before its release in 2006, Final Fantasy XIII had far more troubles in development and was delayed at least two years before its release at the end of 2009, the replacement for its MMORPG using the name Final Fantasy XIV was such a disaster upon its release in 2010 that it was shut down and extensively reworked until finally being re-released as FFXIV: A Realm Reborn three years later, and now Final Fantasy XV has been released in an incomplete state at the end of 2016 having been originally intended as a spin-off of FF XIII to have been released not much later than that game (and probably about 8 years late counting the delays in both games). Baffling, and although the bloated development that has become characteristic of AAA games might be partly responsible for the delays at SquareEnix, they evidently have serious difficulties of their own.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Tabata is in Sean Murray level of fucking the customers.
No matter, the hack is back to developing mobile games. 99% asspull rumor has it that Naoki Yoshida might be set for being the director of FF16. Although his experience only extends to MMOs, he's probably the only person in Square who I'd trust to make a mainline, single player FF game great again. If anything he at least understands what the fans want.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
No matter, the hack is back to developing mobile games. 99% asspull rumor has it that Naoki Yoshida might be set for being the director of FF16. Although his experience only extends to MMOs, he's probably the only person in Square who I'd trust to make a mainline, single player FF game great again. If anything he at least understands what the fans want.

And he seems to be able to manage a turn-around even against the odds and a hindering corporate culture - and he's willing to almost exhaust himself for the success of his job.

Hyperion

Arcane
There's no way in hell they pull him off 14 at this point, though. That game (and Yoshida) pretty much saved the company when it came out. Stormblood in June, and content updates expected every 3 - 6 months. Dunno if he has the fortitude to head 2 games at once. He's a YUGE Matsuno fan, actually managed to get him to work at Squeenix for some Stormblood content and direct a few cutscenes. Heavensward's political intrigue as a whole felt like an ode to Matsuno as well.

I would hope those dumb fucks look at the sales and profit of games, too. 15 sold 690,000 in its first week in Japan. 12 sold 1.8 million, and at the end of the PS2's life cycle. You'd think that would be enough to point them in the right direction, and scale back the bullshit jpop melodrama...NOPE.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I would hope those dumb fucks look at the sales and profit of games, too. 15 sold 690,000 in its first week in Japan. 12 sold 1.8 million, and at the end of the PS2's life cycle. You'd think that would be enough to point them in the right direction, and scale back the bullshit jpop melodrama...NOPE.

The install base of the PS2 in Japan was 7 times higher than the PS4 install base though (21M vs. 3M).

Hyperion

Arcane
Sounds like FF16 will be a mobile game, then, if their console market is shrinking that much.

:negative:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Having the guy responsible for the mmo is not an improvement, even by mmo standards the quests are some of the worse in the genre, nothing more than kill or fetch quests... Hundreds and hundreds of hours of repetitive shit.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

The install base of the PS2 in Japan was 7 times higher than the PS4 install base though (21M vs. 3M).
There was a device that allowed to play illegal games on PS2.

BTW 690000 is a lot, especially considering cost of new console.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom