Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Final Fantasy 15 PC confirmed by Tabata ?

8056858.jpg

8058668.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Prompto's death scene (non-canon alternate ending) for the upcoming Episode Prompto was leaked, it's pretty horrific;

Hyperion

Arcane
shrinking ?

50 million ps4 sold to date , ps3 80 million so it's not far behind and ps4 still got life cycle

SE's goal, or expectation if you will, was to sell 10 million copies. The only number we have to go on is that it's somewhere around 6 million in digital sales + units SHIPPED. Stores were discounting it down to $40 2 weeks after release. That's desperation to get money back. The game probably met less than half its goal, so, yeah...while shrinking might not be the best word, but things didn't go nearly as well as it should have. And that's because it sucked megalodon cock, something SE higher-ups won't actually admit. J-Pop melodrama is OBVIOUSLY what the world wants.

Don't be surprised if the remaster of 12 outsells 14 if they don't completely fuck that one up too. All the more reason for them to try and kiss Yiazmat's feet and get his ass back for a major production. He's working on a small amount of content for Stormblood, so I'm just holding out hope that something clicks between him and Naoki Yoshida and we get the duo we both need and deserve for putting up with shit for the last decade.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
6 million is a lot. And 40 $ was quite normal price just few years ago. In fact shops discounting game few weeks after release was a common situation before Denuvo. People might opt for second hand sales instead of buying it thus...

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Stores were discounting it down to $40 2 weeks after release. That's desperation to get money back.

How does video game retail work? Do the stores have to buy the discs wholesale and then sell them? Any idea what their markup is? Do you think the retailers have an option to return their stock if it doesn't sell? I hadn't really thought much about it before, but digital distribution involves a lot less risk.

Hyperion

Arcane
No idea what the markup is, but I'm pretty sure they buy the discs wholesale based on pre-orders + par level. Returning stock would make sense, but I'm not sure if they would be refunded the whole price at that point. Digital Distribution cuts out the middle man of physical costs of discs, packaging, and shipping, but places like Steam and GOG (Even Sony if it's on PSN) take a pretty hefty cut of the sale price. Between convenience and direct supply to the customer it's just a matter of time before physical games are gone I would imagine. You can't even play a console game without installing something anymore, so what's the point of discs?

Most games sell for $50 - $55 used in their first month. 15 being dropped to $40 NEW for a physical copy that quickly is an ugly, ugly sign though.

Hyperion

Arcane
Except people won't be buying consoles every 1 1/2 - 2 years for $400+. Nor will they all be buying the Ps4 Pro equivalent in the future. Ps4 Pro sold like 2 million copies of like 55 million ps4's sold. And that 55 million is because they nabbed a pretty large number of Xbox users. Combined ps3 + 360 numbers is 170 million. Xbone is somewhere between 25 and 30 million. Being generous gives you 85 million. They aren't selling another 100 million consoles in the next 5 years. Ps2 sold more than 155 million. The market is dwindling, and that's even with a great lineup of Sony exclusives, some of which were system sellers, like Bloodborne and Persona 5.

You're living up to your titles at least.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hopefully nowhere. FF15 is garbage.
Have you played it? It looks really pretty from the outside and seems to have nice set pieces. The music and the graphics are great and the combat seems like a step up from 13.

So in your playthrough, what didn't you like?

Hyperion

Arcane
I gave up on it really quickly as well. I finished the first area, which is the one they kept showing over and over and over....and over, in their press releases, trailers, etc, with Cindy, and the American Southwest vibe. The world design is fucking terrible, as expected, since it follows the modern mantra of "make it big and open to give the illusion of content" instead of condensing content into smaller areas which the series has been known for since the 80's.

There were 3 dungeons that I recall finding in that first area alone - 1 was a cave, which you're forced to do, and is the 'tutorial' dungeon so to speak. Was fairly straight forward, no major twists, turns, or shortcuts. It also had you loop around once or twice, with extra monsters appearing after your loop, which I did NOT like. It was an excuse to try and give you B-horror jump-scares instead of an actual creepy dungeon crawl. It also had an extra door that was closed off until storyline purposes (not that far in advance), but was a bit of a bummer when I found it on my own while exploring. The second dungeon was an abandoned mine shaft that was actually better designed. There were 3 floors, and the elevator was at the start. You could start on any of the 3 levels, and they would eventually connect to one another at the same point. Enemy placement and variety was pretty much nonexistent, though. Much like the first dungeon, it was just groups and groups of Level 1 Goblins, 'till you reach the boss...and then whoops, it's a level 70 Samurai who Iai Strikes your dick and balls for 7,000 when you have like 600 HP. The third and final dungeon I found in the first area was a sewer access that looked like it was gonna have light puzzle action with some power grids you needed to turn on, flowing down water pipes and the like, but enemies were all level 30+ and were basically unkillable with the shit I had equipped. I could stay alive fairly reliably through good use of dodging and warping, but my bros were just getting annihilated and it wasn't worth the time, frustration, and consumable healing spamming to try and press on and kill them.

After searching the first area, it already became rote - finally decide to do the story quest, kill a boss, watch disjointed, shitty cutscenes, unlock a second area that is quadruple the size of the first, and rinse and repeat. Also, once you complete a certain story quest in the first area, enemy soldiers will be flying above your ahead in airship carriers, and will be attacking you NON-STOP, and are more painful and annoying than monsters double their level. It took the random encounter business of earlier games, and magnified the problems, because you could see them coming, couldn't avoid the actual encounter no matter what, then had to spend an unnecessarily ridiculous amount of time physically running the other way to avoid them. Then, you'd probably lose your place in the generically shit open world map and spend another 5 minutes walking towards your destination.

Magic was used via consumable items, and made via a crafting system. Like most crafting systems, it sucked. You would literally combine raw elemental ore with garbage like bird feet, dog bones, and cat shit to create marginally different spells, such as Fire with a poison effect, Fire with a slow regen effect on you and your allies, lightning that could backfire and shit on you and your bros, or a doublecasted Ice spell. I used a Triple Casted Lightning spell, and didn't notice it actually cast three times, it just did marginally more damage than a normal lightning spell. REALLY disappointing, but again, I didn't play all that long. Maybe someone else who actually played it to the end can shed some light and hope on it.

I ended up quitting shortly after reaching the second area, because the game was incomplete, and they were working on adding features, and fixing problematic later spots. Figured if I were going tio play it, I may as well play a finished product as I could tell I wasn't going to play it twice. As it turns out, I simply don't have it in me to follow quest markers on a little map in a corner in an otherwise huge, empty zone. After stopping for a day or two, I had NO desire to pick the game up again. It was your typical dime a dozen, 'AAA' open-world, sandbox, visceral combat, buzzword-laden mess of a game that plagues gaming nowadays. To be completely honest, the dungeon crawl was actually kinda fun, but was too sparse that it wasn't worth playing through the whole damn game, its shitty soap opera story, and boring fetch quests to experience it. If you own a ps4 already, there are enough options to scratch the JRPG itch you may have. Bloodborne, Nioh, Persona 5, and (presumably, as I haven't played it yet) NieR: Automata. Pretty sure I've seen you post quite a bit in the thread for the latter, so I assume you've played it.

Hyperion

Arcane
Nothing says Stealth Mission quite like Gun Fu-Mexican Standoff using a Pistol with no silencer in the middle of a Hallway.

I remember reading they were aiming for 3 totally different playstyles with each DLC. Will they try to make a Devil May Cry style action game to go with Ignis' dual knives? Gladio's looked like a pretty mediocre Souls ripoff / Dungeon Crawl.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Metal Gear Prompto.

Looks just like the last DLC, which was garbage. No idea why Square thinks people want a combat focused DLC in a game with shit combat. This whole game was just a disaster from start to finish and they should have moved on to FFXVI as soon as it launched.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Even if they had moved on to Final Fantasy XVI immediately after releasing XV, considering SquaresoftEnix's gradual deterioration in AAA development capability, we would probably need to wait a decade for it to be finished. :M

veskoandroid

Educated
Even if they had moved on to Final Fantasy XVI immediately after releasing XV, considering SquaresoftEnix's gradual deterioration in AAA development capability, we would probably need to wait a decade for it to be finished. :M
Ouch. That stung. If they were listening at least.

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom