Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Martius

Liturgist
Nothing says Stealth Mission quite like Gun Fu-Mexican Standoff using a Pistol with no silencer in the middle of a Hallway.

I remember reading they were aiming for 3 totally different playstyles with each DLC. Will they try to make a Devil May Cry style action game to go with Ignis' dual knives? Gladio's looked like a pretty mediocre Souls ripoff / Dungeon Crawl.
With mix of melee and ranged attacks it already looks like Devil May Cry. Poor imitation but still.

Karellen

Arcane
I've been slowly playing this game a couple of hours per week, and I'm about two thirds through, and while it's not exactly gripping, I think the game does have some entertaining bits to it. Principally, there's a weird amusement to its road trip-y, buddy film atmosphere. It's not all that much, but there's a weirdly likeable quality to having an open-world game with a party, so you have a fair amount of mildly entertaining (and occasionally context-sensitive) banter between your party members while you go around doing things. At its very best, the game shows an unexpected degree of polish in this aspect, when you're just driving around in your fancy car with your bros, looking at the sights, chilling out and insulting each other, killing the occasional monster while looking for a fishing spot (the fishing minigame is really quite good, and a lot more fun than the combat) and then finding a place to camp for the night so Ignis can cook a fancy gourmet dish for you.

So the game is occasionally charming, and I think you could've made something out of that if the game actually went all the way with this boy's camping trip aesthetic, but of course, it doesn't. There's the overstory, for one thing, which is preposterously, hilariously terrible (I should point out that I generally enjoy Final Fantasy stories), but beyond that, your party looks like a K-pop boy band, which is apt to reduce the level of attachment you're likely to feel. The game's overall aesthetic is completely schitzophrenic. And the open world itself is kind of awful - there's barely anything genuinely worth finding there, the sidequests are all uniformly terrible, and there's basically two proper towns in the entire game, which is kind of absurd, so you mostly just hang out around motels and bland abandoned industrial facilities in the middle of nothing, which somehow seems like a wildly mediocre road trip to me. The dungeons are decent, and I kind of like how the party keeps chatting all the way through each dungeon, but it's hard to get in the mood for any proper dungeon crawling when there's a highway two hundred metres away - somehow it just doesn't feel like a wondrous, secretive place of mystery. So I guess overall it's not very good, but I think there are some slightly novel spins to the open-world genre there that could've made for something interesting if they'd actually concentrated on that instead of just desperately mashing together all the junk they'd accumulated over the 10-year development cycle.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
wheres the Aranea DLC

5iLTEWf.jpg

Last edited:

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Available in early 2018 for $60. 50% off around Christmas. Price drop to $40 in 2019. Maybe available for $15 in mid-2020? Yeah, I might play it in 2020.

Deleted member 7219

Looks like it will run at 10 FPS on my PC (if it even runs at all).

Will pick it up in several years time after I get a new PC for Cyberpunk 2077.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is the game even good, gameplay-wise?
I have only played the demo. It was not to my liking, thus, I decided against getting the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom