Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy 15

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
All those Nvidia effects will make the game come to a halt

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Is the game even good, gameplay-wise?
FF XV is essentially a poor man's Dragon's Dogma, with a preset 4-person party, action-based combat in which you hold down a button, no tactile interaction with enemies, little synergy between party members in combat, a pseudo-Open World environment, dungeons that are linear and uninteresting, almost no character customization, and little in the way of items and equipment. As though they took the framework of Dragon's Dogma but failed at implementation in every respect.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-15-pc-hands-on-preview/

"We can say now that FF15 on PC supports native 4K and also up to 8K, as well as HDR 10. But we haven’t really revealed anything like minimum specs yet because we’re developing at such a high end which means we can’t really define it with current standards now. At some point we will publish the recommended and minimum specs, but we can’t say exactly what they are at the moment."

Akio Ofuji, FF15's global brand director, adds (as translated by Mitsuno): "Obviously when developing for PC we have to keep in mind the demographic and players that play on PC and what they’re looking for. From from a technological standpoint, we’re trying to meet their standards and obviously when we think about PC gamers we put in a first-person camera mode in the PC version.

"We’re doing stuff to cater to the PC audience and we hope that by appealing to what they’re used to, that’ll bring them into the franchise and make them into fans of Final Fantasy."

vonAchdorf

Arcane

"We can say now that FF15 on PC supports native 4K and also up to 8K, as well as HDR 10. But we haven’t really revealed anything like minimum specs yet because we’re developing at such a high end which means we can’t really define it with current standards now. At some point we will publish the recommended and minimum specs, but we can’t say exactly what they are at the moment."

Akio Ofuji, FF15's global brand director, adds (as translated by Mitsuno): "Obviously when developing for PC we have to keep in mind the demographic and players that play on PC and what they’re looking for. From from a technological standpoint, we’re trying to meet their standards and obviously when we think about PC gamers we put in a first-person camera mode in the PC version.

"We’re doing stuff to cater to the PC audience and we hope that by appealing to what they’re used to, that’ll bring them into the franchise and make them into fans of Final Fantasy."

So PC gamers = ultra 8k and first person camera?

mogwaimon

Magister
Is the game even good, gameplay-wise?
FF XV is essentially a poor man's Dragon's Dogma, with a preset 4-person party, action-based combat in which you hold down a button, no tactile interaction with enemies, little synergy between party members in combat, a pseudo-Open World environment, dungeons that are linear and uninteresting, almost no character customization, and little in the way of items and equipment. As though they took the framework of Dragon's Dogma but failed at implementation in every respect.

As a fan of Final Fantasy you're giving the game too much credit. Took me less than 24 hours to beat the main story, which was full of more holes than Swiss cheese and took a Gears of War approach to storytelling (Oh look a collectible! Here's some background lore that is actually pretty fucking relevant to the story but we won't actually tell you any of this during dialogue) and then the rest of the game is 40 hours of doing samey hunting quests with the odd big boss thrown in and another 20 hours going through the post-game dungeons which are all the same corridor > fight enemy > corridor for anywhere from 20 floors to 100.
Not to mention the 3-4 hour dungeon with no save points, fights, or anything to break up the monotony except for the platforming which often demands perfection in an engine which denies it.

The worst part is that the main villain was actually one of the best they've had in many iterations, and he was completely wasted on this game. Also all the FF6 references. I love FF6.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

So PC gamers = ultra 8k and first person camera?

You can interpret it as scalability and options. It's pretty much the gist of PC gaming I think.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/final-fantasy-xv-pocket-edition-announced-smartphones

Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition announced for smartphones

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition, a new game for iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices that retells teh story of Final Fantasy XV. It will launch later in 2017.

The mobile game features the main characters and story of the console version of Final Fantasy XV, and uses a different art style and casual touch controls optimized for mobile devices. The main story is told through 10 episodes, which will all be available at launch. The first episode will be available for free.

:neveraskedforthis:

How many FF15 they should make? And why they didn't make it a turn-based while they're at it?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Chaos Rings art style would have been better, this is just ugly. And why not TB if it's on mobile?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Should've made it for handhelds and used turn-based combat. Basically a demake to FF9 graphics, with a traditional overworld instead of open world map, etc. Remove the voice acting because it doesn't fit the chibi style graphics. It could be better than the actual game.

Deleted member 7219

Should've made it for handhelds and used turn-based combat. Basically a demake to FF9 graphics, with a traditional overworld instead of open world map, etc. Remove the voice acting because it doesn't fit the chibi style graphics. It could be better than the actual game.

Chibi art style has nothing to do with FFIX and needs to die a painful death.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now on the positive side: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/22/final-fantasy-xv-pc-mod-support/

Final Fantasy XV will get mod support, says director

You might have heard that the lads-on-tour simulator Final Fantasy XV [official site] is coming to PC next year. But long before that announcement game director Hajime Tabata dreamt of the idea of including mod support in the then ethereal PC version. Well, that’s now a solid plan.

“I think one of the biggest things [PC] players can expect is mod support,” he told me via translator at Gamescom. “We definitely want to do it. We haven’t actually managed to get our full modding policy or discussions on that finished but at the moment we do really want to do it. We’ll have the full details around autumn time.”

That sounds more promising than his previous dreamings. Like a cloudy thought being put down on paper. Although, I suppose it still technically counts as a “plan”. I asked if it would come included when the game launched or be introduced afterwards but Squeenix still isn’t sure about the timing.

“I think that whether we do it afterwards or have it at launch itself is something that depends on development… but I think we can try to get the modding into [it] as quick as possible.”

“I think a lot of people do want the mods as free as possible,” he said, “and with as few limitations from our side as possible, so we are going to look into making that the kind of system we have for the mods, so we’ll have to figure out all the technical terms around that.”

That’s quite a big deal for a Final Fantasy game, which don’t normally allow players to mess around with their innards. Players of the console version have been yearning for new clothes for the boys, but this opens up even more possibilities. Fighting monsters with giant willies. Driving around Eos in a Volkswagen Camper van. Making the boys perform live concerts in every town they visit, like the boy band they so obviously are.

Squeenix have also shown off a first-person mode and confirmed that the VR experience demoed at previous years’ E3s is still in the pipes, despite murmours of its demise. Although it has changed quite a bit from the original demonstration and is more like a fishing game, apparently. I haven’t had a chance to go to the Gamescom booths and try it yet. But I’ll let you know if I catch any bass.

Anyway, I’ve done a bigger interview with Hajime Tabata, which we’ll try and get up soon. Expect all your dream FFXV questions answered. Questions such as: “Are you part of the Final Fantasy illuminati?” and “Who is the best boy?”

Final Fantasy XV will land on PC via Steam sometime in “early 2018”.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So modders can fix the plot holes on PC making it the definitive version.
What will Square Enix say when they discover that Loverslab discovered Cidney?

Drakron

Arcane
Future proof is hilarious considering one of the things people bitched about Human Revolutions was ... they tried exactly that and people didnt liked that Ultra was meant for the i9 processors and 2048 Nvidia cards.

That also begs the question, you make sales NOW ... not "in the future" and those specs are hilarious high on 2018 hardware, unless they meant to dominate Steam Summer Sales of 2024 when people can actually install the game and are willing to pay $10 Trumps for a old game, the whole is absurd but I think the reality is more that ... they cannot optimize for shit and this explains the gigantic size and high requirements as well trying to make a console game run on a PC, its a fucking port and a shitty one apparently.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think this PC port is in part a tech showcase of their own Luminous Engine. They once showed a CG quality tech demo running with four Titan X cards, but I guess they feel the need to showcase somewhat high-end features in relatively consumer level hardware.

Base PS4 was weaker than their expectation and PS4 Pro apparently is still not enough, so PC port with Nvidia. Future proof also in the sense of their own R&D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom