Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
He was also a furry.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't mind some changes to the story. Freya p. much fades into the background during the game's second half, Amarant is fairly pointless, and the last fifth or so of the story is kinda... crap.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is the sequel that should have gotten a full blown remake.
Oh my lord, no.

Oh God, yes.
I'm talking only about a full blown graphical (changes to gameplay systems and story are not allowed) remake on UE4, of course.
As if that'll ever happen. You know what we'd really get in a Final Fantasy IX remake? Kingdom Hearts combat. Since Square is just shoving that shit into everything. And loads more of pointless filler.

Just let good things stay where they are.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I wouldn't mind some changes to the story. Freya p. much fades into the background during the game's second half, Amarant is fairly pointless, and the last fifth or so of the story is kinda... crap.

Positive changes could be made to almost any game ever released (including classics) but I seriously doubt SE would be competent enough not to make thing even worse (read Siveon's post above).
Thing is, FF9 has a lot of really high-def assets (made for pre-rendered cutscenes and background alike) and that kind of remake would probably be the easiest and cheapest thing to do.
Too bad their company has become infiltrated with retards that can't even pull off a straight port of a 20 years old game, let alone something that requires something slightly more complex.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I know and agree. There's no way they'd stop at just adding in a few tweaks, new story bits, and new side quests or similarly small scale stuff like that, they'd completely overhaul the game and likely ruin it in the process (see: FF7).

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I never beat the game but I think I got really far, I remember going into this second world but i dont' remember what it was about. But I remember the game's tagline was "the crystal is back" and I can't remember any crystals in the game except for this totally minor crystal in this second world that really didn't havea nything to do with the game. Wasn't FF9 supposed to be sort of a throwback to earlier games? And there's a cyrstl or something. I was at this girl's apartment last week and she played me Beatrix's siong on the piano, and the Zanarkand song from FFX. I remmber when I was lik 12 downloading all the musci from FF9 in MIDI form because I thought I'd never be able to hear it again unless I played the game. It did have a really good soundtrack. Nobuo Uematsu's the man. What the fuck am I atalking about, I'm really drunk.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Final Fantasy IX is okay. Nice fairy tale-like story and atmosphere, if you like things like that. Best main-series storyfag FF, to be sure.

Gameplay and systems are fairly mediocre and just not that interesting, though. Lots of other FFs, not to mention other RPGs, have it beat in that regard.

Malpercio

Arcane
Is game itself worthy a try? I never owned psx so I had no occasion to play it.

The first 2 CD are AMAZING, the first continent cosmo is one of the most immersive and enhancing. The game kinda loses a bit on CD3 onward, the main plot kinda become about fetch quests for a while as well some characters get lost along the way (Remember Freya? Neither does the game), but overall it's still one of the best FF experience by miles.

This is the sequel that should have gotten a full blown remake. :negative:

Ewwww.

I don't want SE to touch FFIX more than necessary. They managed to fuck up every FF they ported/remake/wrote a sequel over the years.

Zetor

Arcane
I may be alone with this, but I... really didn't like the cast in FFIX except for Freya (and Amarant I guess... well Vivi was kinda cool for a killer magic robot). Everyone is either an annoying teenager/kid (Zidane, Garnet, Eiko) or a complete idiot comic relief character (Steiner, Quina). getoffmylawn.gif

The game itself was decent, but I thought FF6 had more interesting gameplay. Definitely better than 7 and 8, though!

edit: also, that fucking chocobo hot-and-cold game. /rage

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And here I thought that for a game that lighthearted and "disney" like both Zidane and Garnet were less childish and emotional than any of the later generations protagonists, not to mention FF7/FF8. Eiko acts childish because she's still a teenager (even for japanese standards, where 14year olds are fullblown adults). Zidane chasing tail (pun intended) like he does was a bit overdone though. In general most characters start out rather childish but mature over the course of the story (and somewhat believably too). Heres to hoping SE will just focus on polishing stuff like UI and graphics in general and leave the rest alone.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I know a few people like Zidane, mostly between the ages of 17-22 (And coincidentally the type of charachter that I hung around with most and funnily enough entered stable relationships after). Good folks.

I would actually say Zidane has by far the most mature FF protag personality there is. And no, being a brooding whiny bitch isn't more mature.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It makes sense though since pretty much every character except for Quina and Amarant at some point have to go through a somewhat existential crisis, be it Freya having to see Burmecia burned down and Cleyra annihilated or Garnet watching her mother die. While they each have a short whiny emo phase it doesn't last very long and they come out more determined to continue their quest, which makes way more sense than the constant whining and bitching a lot of protagonists in other parts of the series commit to for the whole game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is game itself worthy a try? I never owned psx so I had no occasion to play it.
You will get mixed responses, I think. It's a throwback to the older games in the series. I like some of the characters a lot, like Vivi and Zidane. The soundtrack is great and the backgrounds look nice. The world is fun to explore and while some hated the chocobo hot and cold minigame, I didn't give up until I completed it. There's also the card game one can play. Seriousness mixed with comedy.

The battles are super slow and the loading times when you enter and exit battle go on forever. Your overlimit(trance) can't be manually activated, when the bar fills, you get into trance mode. It doesn't matter if you are fighting an easy random encounter or a boss, when the bar fills, you can't do much about it. Some characters are boring, in this case, Quina.

This is in my top 3 FF games with FFVI and FFT.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There are a lot of good things to say about FF9. It has a good sense of adventure, as Final Fantasy games tend to have. The enviroments look good and the music is excellent. I'm glad that it's getting a PC port although it is very unlikely I'll bother to play it ever again. If all they are doing is giving it a better resolution then the most crippling issue with the game will not be fixed, which is the incredibly long time it takes to start combat and how sluggish combat is. It gets really irritating and I've never finished the game because of it. Even the attack animations are slow and take forever to happen because the characters usually start with a wind up animation. Compare to something like FF7 where Cloud instantly dashes at mach speed and slices the enemy as soon as you hit that Attack command. The pace in FF9's combat is fucking awful.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, it's arguably the most light-hearted & fun game of the series, but has one of the plainest combats... safe-as-it-gets TB JRPG, the only noteworthy things where Quina's blue magic and the "gain skills by equipping items" system.

It's a game I think about replaying, but even with the "Turbo Speed" from this re-release I'm not sure I can stand all the random combat...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom