Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy 9 comes to PC (and smartphones)

Deleted member 7219

So has anyone checked this out yet? Should we wait until a background resolution mod comes out? Does it have silly touch screen HUD?

I played about an hour of it last night. Character models are good, the game supports high resolutions. I used NVIDIA DSR to downscale from 4K. The menus are taken from the mobile versions but they are inoffensive.

My only complaints are the the blue/grey borders at either side of the screen - these should be black - and the controller issue where your character can keep moving even when the stick is centred.

Severian Silk

Crap. I have a Windows Phone.

Anyway, my memory and attention span are too poor to keep up with all the stupid plot twists in these games.

Ash

Arcane
Final Fantasy IX is okay. Nice fairy tale-like story and atmosphere, if you like things like that. Best main-series storyfag FF, to be sure.

Gameplay and systems are fairly mediocre and just not that interesting, though. Lots of other FFs, not to mention other RPGs, have it beat in that regard.

Thank you. Not to mention the fucking battle speed. So sloooow it sucks potential fun factor from the combat. Still, it's definitely a classic.

Anyway, now there is a PC version mods can fix it. About time.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Final Fantasy IX is okay. Nice fairy tale-like story and atmosphere, if you like things like that. Best main-series storyfag FF, to be sure.

Gameplay and systems are fairly mediocre and just not that interesting, though. Lots of other FFs, not to mention other RPGs, have it beat in that regard.

Thank you. Not to mention the fucking battle speed. So sloooow it sucks potential fun factor from the combat. Still, it's definitely a classic.

Anyway, now there is a PC version mods can fix it. About time.
You don't need mods to fix battle speed.
・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.

Taskityo

Educated
Abraham can you leave a brofist for this informative post?

Wow, I had no idea about that in regards to FF8. I'd brofist the info if I could. I wonder, since FF8 was also re-released for PC, if anyone is bringing back the cut/better dialogue as a mod like the re-localized FF7 PC mod?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can't find screenshot of this particular game but good CRT shader does miracle for games with backgrounds like this.

The contrast on the PC port between characters and background is just atrocious.

Ash

Arcane
・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes

I should elaborate: it's not just how fast the ATB bar fills but also the stupid battle intro cinematic that is unnecessarily long and unskippable.

Deleted member 7219

・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes

I should elaborate: it's not just how fast the ATB bar fills but also the stupid battle intro cinematic that is unnecessarily long and unskippable.
You can disable the camera panning at start of battle somewhere in the menu.

Yep, the camera panning stuff at the start of each battle only happens for the story-based battles now. You can skip it for random encounters by changing a setting in the 'Config' menu.

Ash

Arcane
Very nice. Seems Square Enix ARE still capable of doing something right.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
True, it's only been done for the money as their current teams don't have the talent to create something new and interesting for themselves these days, but a port of FF9 is deserved and long overdue. Plus now the fans can mod it properly without resorting to hacking with a hex editor with no support, documentation or structure. In short, I prefer money-grubbing ports and HD updates than money-grubbing using those old IPs to create something barely resembling the old classics or dumbing them down to oblivion (Thief, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Hitman etc). When people think Final Fantasy these days, they think Final Fantasy 13. That's a destruction of a legacy. The only thing new they did half right was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and half right is not good enough.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Apologies to him, assuming based on that comment that he (or her) created some support tool for modding FFIX that I am unaware of.

Severian Silk

He likes to localize his RPGs using a hex editor and nothing else.

Also, is the FF3 remake any good? I think I played the original but it was pretty barebones compared to later FFs IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ash

Arcane
He likes to localize his RPGs using a hex editor and nothing else.

Also, is the FF3 remake any good? I think I played the original but it was pretty barebones compared to later FFs IIRC.

Not played it, but from what I heard it is decent (and hard). Just a matter of accepting the weaboo art style that never existed in the original version. As for barebones, I know it has more gameplay depth than FFIV (which is definite as 4 has little depth at all). It has a class system, although allegedly it's quite lacking. If you want notable depth you're best off sticking to FFV and above really.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
why would anyone need to translate ff9? mod it sure, but the game was already localized.

A user named cat

What's the point of these releases when you can use emulator version that looks better?
Not to mention that any complaints about combat speed and load times are nullified. With Mednafen or Retroarch, you can bind a hotkey to "fast forward". I use R3 on my controller. This can be used to zip through any load times, cutscenes and even the ATB during battles. Good luck with this on PC port.

Beggar

Cipher
Tbh I never understood FF series. Tried 1/3 of them, never made it until the end. It's either way too childish or way too typical and boring. And it kills the mood to play as some fag. Often it feels like weeaboo adventure story, not RPG. Often discussed soundtrack also didn't touched me, can't even remember a single tune from all the FF games I've played.

Or do I simply lack nostalgia for not playing it as a kid?

Perkel

Arcane
Or do I simply lack nostalgia for not playing it as a kid?

You don't lack any nostalgia.

jRPG were always simple combat system games with usually shitty story. What they got right was "journey" as in group of people traveling across land doing some neat things. But that journey was heavily based on art design and graphics of the game so most of those really don't shine anymore. There are some good jrpgs but overall whole genre is garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom