Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Beastro

Arcane
They've gone too orchestral drowning out the rest. If Advent Child is any indication, what isn't drowned out by an orchestra will be drowned out by a guitar going nuts. What worked with so much of the originals music was how it played to midi's strengths and easily conveyed emotion and atmosphere that really matched the areas you were in or what the characters were thinking/talking about.
The original music wasn't in midi, you mean the crappy PC port.

Whatever it was it's better than this orchestral crap.

Mustawd

It's amazing how big companies can fuck up their games in a variety of ways.

Up there you can see the purest form of PR bullshit you can ever see:
“The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning.
Hahahahaha ohwow, it's not like you have huge detailed games like Skyrim, Witcher of Fallout, where they can fit a bigger world into the game than FFVII's world.

Hilarious. So you can release a full realized game in 1997, but can't do it in 2016/7? Such bullshit.

Red Rogue

Learned
Officially uninterested.

Typical square. FFXV has been in development hell for years, why did I ever think they could manage to completely remake a game as large as FF7. It seemed like this game was announced because they caved under fan pressure anyways and I knew it was too good to be true.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Is it just me or are they using this FF7 remake as some sort of test bed?
The fame alone quarentees some sale and graphics certainly helps the matter, no matter how bad you think the story, mechanics and music are.

I don't really have problem with episodic content as long as they don't charge something like 60€ each and they actually add content.
However with recent rising with fucking microsanctions in game, I excpect this will be more platant cash crap than some might orginally believed.

Anyway the most important element hasn't been shown from FF7, The tits and bouncy physic and don't tell me that they are dcl content too.

Edit: Fuck me and my drunk ass.
I meant as test bed to try capabilites of Ps4.
I assume they aren't making this for xbox one as well.

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
They've gone too orchestral drowning out the rest. If Advent Child is any indication, what isn't drowned out by an orchestra will be drowned out by a guitar going nuts. What worked with so much of the originals music was how it played to midi's strengths and easily conveyed emotion and atmosphere that really matched the areas you were in or what the characters were thinking/talking about.
The original music wasn't in midi, you mean the crappy PC port.

If by a "crappy port" you mean that it sounds much more clearer, has better instrument recreation, etc., then yes, it's crappy as hell.

Also it's worth to mention that PS1 used Portable Sound Format (PSF) which was pretty similar to MIDI in terms how it works (both are sequenced music formats).

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
(...) it sounds much more clearer, has better instrument recreation, etc..
:hmmm:
Well, I gave you two examples. You can check this guy's playlist, he has whole FF VII OST. Almost every track sounds much better on PC with Yamaha synthesizer. If you don't hear it it's not my problem.

Sequenced music works in a similar way to MIDI files in which hundreds of little insturments come together to make the final song/music/composition.
Source: http://ngemu.com/threads/creating-psf-psf1-files-from-psx-games-in-2012.149675/

And

Generally PSF files contain a number of samples and a sequence player program. This takes far less space than the equivalent streamed format of the same song (WAV, MP3) while still sounding exactly like the original song (as opposed to formats such as MIDI which depend on the creator's accuracy and quality of the MIDI synthesizer it's played on).
Source: http://72.9.148.189/library/PSF2
So, MIDI takes more time and skill to recreate it properly + need good synthesizer. The one built in Windows is shit.
And Yamaha synthesizer in many ways was superior to PS1.

PS1 used Portable Sound Format (PSF) which was pretty similar to MIDI in terms how it works

Dunno about this one track, but in One Winged Angel vocals were recorded separately and was played simultaneously with PSF music. One more interesting fact- newer Windows systems had problems with playing that track the same way, so many people wrongly assumed that vocals was absent on PC version. AFAIK there are mods that repairs this issue.

Don Peste

Arcane
CVowIZCWsAE8vSZ.jpg:large

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
:D
He always was a skinny little shit. That's part of the charm of the Buster Sword, it let's you think it's being almost tongue in cheek as oppose to being serious by having someone like Barret wield it. It approached almost Flash Gordon levels of absurd that you gave it a pass for being so audacious.
Cloud_Strife.png
Cloud's design is rather inconsistent. In Nomura's artworks he looks like a skinny teenager, but in the cutscenes as well as in various 3d renders he seems tougher and more masculine:
bHM0zzu.jpg

Also, during the cross-dressing quest the tailor asked to make a dress responds: "For a tough guy like him?"

His 3d combat sprite doesn't look very skinny either:
cloud2.jpg

Almost every track sounds much better on PC with Yamaha synthesizer. If you don't hear it it's not my problem.
Maybe I don't hear it then. I never would have thought that the original music has anything in common with midi. Especially that there are many examples of PS1 music that sounds completely "regular":

To name a few.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have to say I love Cloud's desing in the new gameplay trailer - his body tells a story of it's own. If you come across a heavy drug user, you can immediately tell just from looking at his dehydrated, pale and skinny face that something is terribly wrong. Similarly, Cloud's body tells that he's sick - he's still recovering from severe mako poisoning and just a couple of days ago he was barely able to walk.

tumblr_inline_nyxbm8GBGE1rc71sq_540.jpg

Cloud is not your typical cool angsty anime hero, but a person who has been drugged, tortured and broken to a point that he has lost all sense of self. Cloud's body tells this story. To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.

You are aware that this character was created in 1997 and not today, the people who are responsible for FF7 are not there either.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.

You are aware that this character was created in 1997 and not today, the people who are responsible for FF7 are not there either.

I meant the character model, which should have been obvious.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Actually, the same key people are involved. Uematsu is p. much the only one who is missing.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Sakaguchi left SE many years ago, but Kitase for example is still there.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Sakaguchi left SE many years ago, but Kitase for example is still there.

Also Nomura who was the charachter designer. The Art Director Naora is as well. Nojima as well (well freelance but thats been for a long time) Toriyama as well...

In fact most of the people that are responsible for Square's decline worked on it. FFVII was more or less the start of their takeover.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They got the art direction down pretty well, yeah. Hopefully the game will be worthwhile if bought once all the episodes are out, or Square decides to backpedal due to the backlash. Either way, won't be buying this on launch if I get it at all.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FF7 remake producer on why epic remake is epic: http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-psx-2015-message-yoshinori-kitase

With FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, we have the opportunity to go beyond the story, world and experience of FINAL FANTASY VII in ways we’ve always dreamed of - from the depths of Midgar to the skies above the Planet. The multi-part format enables us to expand the original story and turn it into an epic experience for fans and new gamers alike.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
They literally had to do nothing other than replace the character models with a cuter Tifa and Aeris, maybe remaster the soundtrack WITHOUT CHANGING IT (if they could muster that kind of effort), and I would cum all over this game.

But yeah, life is hard.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Cloud is not your typical cool angsty anime hero, but a person who has been drugged, tortured and broken to a point that he has lost all sense of self. Cloud's body tells this story. To me this design decision shows that there are still some creative people working at Square and that the remake might actually end up pretty decent.
His hair is still too stylized, not sure if fits the story.

"This is a dangerous mission, but first I'm going to stop by the hairdresser"

But hey, it's a japanese game:desu:

FF0Q7EA.jpg

7PqzgGv.png

:prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom