Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XII remaster

Hyperion

Arcane
Cross yet another classic off the list that has to get shit on because of modern gamers. I can't believe I missed this after the initial announcement. Looks like I have to stick to emulated versions of the game YET AGAIN.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/7/121...iac-age-international-job-system-hd-whats-new

"We actually got help from Hiroyuki Ito, who worked on the game design for previous Final Fantasy titles," Kato said. "We overhauled the game balance so that it would be easier for players — closer to the feel of a classic Final Fantasy title."

I mean, what the fuck? Are we not allowed to have ANYTHING that causes even the slightest bit of thought in games? Pretty sure this game is universally loved because of the difficulty in trying to explore areas that you should not be entering. That's the whole IDEA of exploration, risk v reward. What the fuck is wrong with these developers?

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't know what you are talking about, I played FFXII in auto-mode as my character demolished everything on their sight without me lifting a finger.

Malpercio

Arcane
Then you didn't go to the areas you're not "supposed" to go to.

I'm pretty sure I did, like the mines in the forest instead of going through the coast. I generally cleared everything I could.

FFXII has automatic combat with characters literally winning the game for you if set up gambits right, stop pretending it's the SMT: Nocturne of Final Fantasy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
smt nocturne is super easy all you have to do is select commands so i don't know wtf you're talking about.

Hyperion

Arcane
FFXII has automatic combat with characters literally winning the game for you if set up gambits right, stop pretending it's the SMT: Nocturne of Final Fantasy.

This is kind of my point. Final Fantasy never has been, and never will be that difficult. But FFXII had its moments when you did have to react and think a little bit. Why make it even easier?

Malpercio

Arcane

This is kind of my point. Final Fantasy never has been, and never will be that difficult. But FFXII had its moments when you did have to react and think a little bit. Why make it even easier?

FFIII.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
FFIII was the only FF game I finished 100%. It's that good, for me it has the best exploration and dungeoning.

Johnny Zaxxon

Literate
Cross yet another classic off the list that has to get shit on because of modern gamers. I can't believe I missed this after the initial announcement. Looks like I have to stick to emulated versions of the game YET AGAIN.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/7/121...iac-age-international-job-system-hd-whats-new

I mean, what the fuck? Are we not allowed to have ANYTHING that causes even the slightest bit of thought in games? Pretty sure this game is universally loved because of the difficulty in trying to explore areas that you should not be entering. That's the whole IDEA of exploration, risk v reward. What the fuck is wrong with these developers?

FF has never been particularly hard, so perhaps what they mean is that there will be less grinding.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

FF has never been particularly hard, so perhaps what they mean is that there will be less grinding.

You never played the earlier ones then. FF was plenty challenging up until FF6 came out, then it started to drift into babby mode.

Hyperion

Arcane
when people say they did the auto-mode in that game, I wonder if they mean that they did the trick to give them infinite grinding and left their ps2 on, or if theyre exxagerating
It's exaggerating, plus complaining about the main story being a joke while completing the optional hunts the second they're available.

Unbalanced difficulty is hardly a problem for XII. The biggest issue is the game becomes a massive slog when you have to enter Archades. You walk through 4 mandatory, new zones followed by an underground dungeon and your respite is....running errands for a bunch of Bougie cunts for an hour?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't like RTWP combat too much, but I think this game has the best implementation of this kind of system. You can program and forget about micromanaging the repetitive, boring stuff like buffing and healing conditions, and worry about strategic decisions in combat.

Imagine Baldur's gate 2 without the routine of casting 5+ buffs (with the amount of commands needed) before every single encounter. And you need those buffs almost always in that game.

What hurts the combat is the small party size, 3 members is not enough to have epic battles and interesting party dynamics and replayability. You are going to need always a healer, and a front fighter, so that left you without choice and creativity making the party.

I know you have 4th guest in a lot of moments, but it's not the same.

But I like this game, my favourite in the series after tactics. I don't understand all the hate, and overrating another entries like FF VII.

duanth123

Arcane
background_vb6ozz.jpg

I like Fran's pose.

I see two major problems with this game still haven't been fixed

Hyperion

Arcane
http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

UPDATE

Square Enix Japan has posted more screenshots for Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, as well as revealing new additions to the remaster that were not present in the International PlayStation 2 version.

Most notably, it is now possible to have a character set with two job classes simultaneously, instead of just one in the International version. Once a character unlocks "L Board Plus" on the License Board, they can then select a second job to complement their abilities. Different combinations of jobs are certain to have some interesting results.

Another small but useful addition is that of a real time transparent map, which can be pulled up to the user interface when exploring the field.

Finally, in addition to redone music from the original game, 8 new tracks will be added to remaster including both boss and field music.

Multiclassing allowed. 66 job combinations? Interesting, very interesting. Would make it significantly easier, but also makes LP not worthless halfway in.

Hyperion

Arcane
If you get access to both full License Boards at all times he won't be. Hitting 99 Str / 99 Mag will be cake for each character. Basch has the highest HP, Fran has the highest Vit. It's gonna make each character feel a little less unique, unfortunately.

On the plus side, Time Mage will have a purpose at least. Heavy armor, and Hastega for a Samurai or something? Not too shabby.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If you get access to both full License Boards at all times he won't be. Hitting 99 Str / 99 Mag will be cake for each character. Basch has the highest HP, Fran has the highest Vit. It's gonna make each character feel a little less unique, unfortunately.

On the plus side, Time Mage will have a purpose at least. Heavy armor, and Hastega for a Samurai or something? Not too shabby.

The amount of HP Basch has and VIT Fran has compared to Vaan is negligible compared to the other stats where they fall short. Compare:

Vaan
HP - 5174
MP - 632
STR - 78
MAG - 73
VIT - 61
SPD - 37

Basch
HP - 5224
MP - 540
STR - 78
MAG - 63
VIT - 47
SPD - 35

Fran
HP - 4810
MP - 631
STR - 71
MAG - 68
VIT - 62
SPD - 36

But you are right that if we have two active boards it may be less of an issue. I think this change of having two boards is bad and brings the remake closer to having homogenized characters like in the original version of the game. The transparent map and new music is nice though.

Perkel

Arcane
Multiclassing allowed. 66 job combinations? Interesting, very interesting. Would make it significantly easier, but also makes LP not worthless halfway in.

More like they fixed major mistake of International edition.

Vanilla FFXII was classless. What is worse game was all about MMO battles which meant that with classless license board you made everyone more or less capable of healing.

International edition on other hand divided board into classes from which you choose something like 6. If you were idiot or didn't research earlier you could even pick 6 classes from which none of them could heal essentially making your game super tedious^2

Frankly what FFXII needed most were not classes but combat rebalance with more damage sinks and more local resistances or items that could prevent some specific damage etc. Something that would prevent battles becoming endless casting of healing spells by half of your party.

Falksi

Arcane
Yeah, for me the game was nearly great, but the areas are just too large, empty and slog-like in the later sections. Another game which would be better off with sone of the fat trimmed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom