Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Perkel

Arcane
Aside from the everyone-disappears/turns into monsters--and-then-reappears-again bit (or something along those lines, I forget the details) at/close to the end, I thought FFXIII's plot was pretty comprehensible as I played. Surprisingly so perhaps, given the complaints everywhere.

But yeah, the transition from XIII to XIII-2 seems to be a different story altogether.

This is because 13 days were so far from each other.

If game would fallow --> Bruhl --> finding god--> branding --> snow/sarah engagement --> purge --> train and then rest of the game most of motives, characters , actions and so on would be logical and several character problems like Snow being idiot would be resolved.

They probably had to do it because they made 40h corridor jrpg without really much cinematics or any story. Which failed because that part of the game is fucking boring as hell.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
SerratedBiz Thanks for the summary. I already knew the story in broad strokes, as you presented it, but you have given me another perspective on it, which never hurts. :)

Perkel Thanks for the recap, I have enjoyed it greatly. This is exactly what I wanted. :D

Crooked Bee I probably would have no problem understanding everything if I played FF XIII myself, but I only have time for one Final Fantasy (if that), and I have heard XIII-2 is the better one, so I chose this one.

TigerKnee - I am not expecting a good resolution to the plot. I have played a few FF games before and they usually have terribad endings. Making direct sequels to these games only gives Square Enix chance to make the endings exponentially more bad.

zwanzig_zwoelf

My first impressions of Final Fantasy XIII: it's amazing.

It's amazing how this game can make your job feel a lot more exciting and force you to finish the project at work at 1 AM.
With my shitty jobs, that's one hell of an achievement.

Will buy ASAP.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
So, as someone who hasn't played FFXIII, does it have elemental affinity skill chains or exp chains similar to FFXI?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All of this to have XIII-3 where your favorite tsundere knight can wear all costumes some yellow dude fapped over in his spare time.

Wait, there's fapping? Nobody ever said there was fapping involved. I might have been approaching this from the wrong way.

Dexter

Arcane
Does this fucking entire game contain anything besides a long fucking boring corridor interrupted by unskippable cutscenes? (I think there was like a Save before a 7+ minute cutscene, just to be presented with another Save right after, just in case something goes wrong)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Does this fucking entire game contain anything besides a long fucking boring corridor interrupted by unskippable cutscenes? (I think there was like a Save before a 7+ minute cutscene, just to be presented with another Save right after, just in case something goes wrong)

No. There's one big open zone when you get to down Gran Pulse some 20+ hours in and that's what everyone praises as "game opening up" but it's really just a big hunting field. Those first two dozen hours or so are horrendously stop-and-go with cutscenes and corridors all the time.

BarãodoDesterro

Educated
I finished it today and had fun while playing. I won't say people should like or dislike it, but it is, for what it is, definitely a "Final Fantasy" game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom