Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? Final Fantasy XIV, at least the soundtrack is enjoyable

final

• Total voters

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
So is this actually that good? I need something to scratch that JRPG itch on occasion.

So is this actually that good? I need something to scratch that JRPG itch on occasion.

It's a pretty standard mmorpg, well polished and with tons of content. If you are a final fantasy fan or autistic it may deliver what you want. Give it a try, there's a free endless trial up to level 35.

Hyperion

Arcane
On top of what Gargall said, the soundtrack is absolutely outstanding. Higher quality than some top tier JRPG's, and probably the best in an MMO to date.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hmm...
Heavensward had a good overall story, with good characters, good music and it gave you a reason to care about the things going on around you and the characters in the story.

Stormblood in my opinion did almost everything wrong. I did not care about the majority of the characters even more so almost none of the main characters. People walked around doing stupid things, for stupid reasons over and over again and i could not help but facepalm over and over again.
And the "end" boss... God damn... across the entire game i just wished to kill myself and when i heard his reason for doing all this... you could put it down into "MWHAHAHAHAHA IM EVIL AND I LIKE TO FIGHT AND KILL" and i felt "nothing" when i was done with the story.
The music was decent but i still liked Heavensward more.

I guess i could try to go into more details of some of the horrible parts of Stormblood... but honestly it was so average and or bad that i simply did not care about things, i played Heavensward a long time ago and i remember more from it then Stormblood.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hmm hard to say i guess if i had to pick ARR or SB i guess i would go with SB, however ARR is not high quality to begin with so thats not saying much.
Honestly i would rather have content and story in the quality of HW.

But thats just my opinion.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Ok. ok.

but is stormblood, like, worse than ARR?

No, but it's not good either. It's just the exact same shit all over again except slightly less interesting. The setup was good: fighting for the liberation of Ala Mhigo. It could've been cool, but instead you spend most of your time traveling in not-Asia, doing things that are VERY loosely connected to the liberation of Ala Mhigo. 90% of the Stormblood campaign is anime filler and 10% is the actual business. And it's not even interesting filler either because all the characters are shit.

Next xpac will probably focus on a full blown war against the Empire so it'll probably be much better again. Usually these games have boring ass expansions in the middle of the actual story progression ones simply to milk it more and give the devs time. This a very typical intermission expansion.

Next expansion will not have YoshiP working on the game anymore so hopefully we'll get something to revitalize the game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Next expansion will not have YoshiP working on the game anymore
This might very well be catastrophic though

It might. On the other hand another YoshiP expac will most certainly be a disaster. The game sorely needs a new vision to help keep it fresh and entertaining. Yoshi's design is too formulaic and repetitive and it has gotten old by now.

grgoo

Barely Literate
wtf is wrong with this poll? even if i wanted to, i would have no idea what to pick

but well - no ff is not the best mmorpg right now, the one with most active players/subscribers is - most likely according both to finances and how "democracy" works

Delterius

Arcane
i picked

maxresdefault.jpg

its a frabjous word

Delterius

Arcane
And it's not even interesting filler either because all the characters are shit.
This is pretty much the problem.

I have finished Stormblood and the first few trials/raid, moving onto Savage content. What Hobo said about the story is true: Stormblood is a step back from Heavensward. But not as far back to ARR.

The problem is that the opening story shot all its ammo at once. You aren't just liberating Ala Migho but Doma as well. Considering that your partners for the story are the formerly ditzy idiot and loudmouth samurai guy, the writers spreading themselves thin wasn't a wise idea in hindsight. It would take a lot to properly develop Lyse into a cool and interesting character.

Still, the story is entertaining enough. FFXIV is still a viable way to play an anime. And not a terrible one at that.

For what its worth, Stormblood can't be faulted for lack of variety. Even if Doma ended up being China with samurai and ninja (an absolute waste, Hingan shouldn't even exist IMO), FFXIV remains the insane kitchen sink you'd expect from Square. What with scottish indians and mongolian dragons running around.

The fights are getting formulaic but the game's still fun.

Last edited:
Yes, A Realm Reborn is the best MMO game by a long shot. Which is interesting considering how crap Final Fantasy has turned into and will continue to be, and how bad the original FFXIV was.
It's polished, easy to learn, hard to master, the world is nice, the players are helpful, there is an actual story with actual plot lines, you don't just stand there looking at your cooldowns, there is so much content it's almost too much to take in, the dungeons are cool, the bosses are awesome, what else?

I still got tired of it after a two or three months (even with breaks in between) but that's a record for me, and I still look forward to tackling all the content I haven't finished, in a few months.
I would probably just keep the subscription active and play it every now and then if I wasn't poor as fuck right now.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest, the storyline is bad. It's got a couple characters and moments here and there and pretty pictures, though. And at least it's not X-2 or the XIII series.
I don't mind that the content is gated, but it's a preference thing.

I forgot to add that the OST is good.

Stokowski

Arcane
Square Enix's greatest achievement is conning the wider gaming community into believing the Final Fantasy games are examples of their skill as great storytellers. The games tend to work despite the writers' failings.

Having said that: I'm often waiting over an hour for a queue to pop as a DPS. Fuck it, time to level tank. Or go fishing. Or try and login when it's more populated.

::: shakes fist at whoever thought it was a good idea to release two new DPS classes in the latest expansion :::

Theldaran

Liturgist
Square Enix is shit by now. I beg the pardon of FFXV's fans (if there is any).

Plus they don't even make good deals for their classic games, they go at 50% in sales but never beyond that. Sheesh.

And I've got more to say: playing FF7 nowadays without playing it on its time is painful. I hate dem stupid minigames (some are required to continue the freaking game!!!).

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
At least there are only a few and over pretty quickly - except fucking tower defense.

Cromwell

Arcane
So if I somewhat like the arr story Im in for a treat when I go to heavensward? I stopped playing after reaching 51 somewhere in the seventh astral questline or whatever it is called. Also I will probably like stormblood since its better than arr?

Hyperion

Arcane
Heavensward is the best the game has to offer thus far. Music, quests, characters, plot. If you liked the Coerthas Central Highlands you're in for a special treat because there are more snowy areas for you to enjoy, complete with serene music to really give you that Wintry feeling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom