Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XV windows edition

deama

Prophet
So, the new final fantasy came out for windows; anyone tried it? Is it any good? I heard good things about it.

Falksi

Arcane
It's the biggest bag of wank ever created in the entire history of gaming. 0/10

:0/5:
Really? Huh, I heard it's pretty good from a friend who is playing it and from some other guys.

Do yourself a favour mate, tell your friend that's you and them done and you'll never speak to them again, and either execute the other guys or move as far away from them as possible.

It's dire. Awful. Appalling. An absolute nothing of an "adventure", where the game plays itself; you spend ages either walking or driving from point A to B; the "trendy" gang isn't even trendy any more, the combat is simply hold circle to win; you recharge MP by hanging from your weapon (I shit you not); and it's driven by one of the most "meh" FF stories ever.

It's barely a game, never mind an FF game, never mind a good FF game.

The most dramatic thing to happen in the first few hours is you push your car. That should tell you all you need to know. Avoid like the plague.

kalganoat

Savant
I'm at ch8 and literally have no idea what the fuck is going on with the story. Combat is either super easy hold circle to win or bullshit insane damage. Controls are not responsive at all, sometimes dodge prompt doesnt show up, sometimes it does but holding it down does nothing. I love how there's always a half second delay to every command I give. People hate on witcher 3 for shitty combat but how is this shit any different?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have started playing that.
I knew it was bad. I didn't know it was that bad. And I have a fairly tolerance for bad games, usually thinking they are not as bad as people make them to be.
This game is terrible, for many reasons. But here's the main one. It's not the chara design. It's not the gameplay.

You think the term "ludonarrative dissonance" that was passed around a while ago was overhyped ?

Well here I am, Noctis, prince of a now dead country. I have just learnt that my father was brutally assassinated. I am litterally homeless and now the king of a country that stopped existing when the rival imperialists lied and betrayed us. My betrothed, whom I hardly know, but whose fate is linked to mine is nowhere to be found and in grave danger. I have no idea what my nation is going through but it is likely a lot of people are counting on me and the situation is dire. By all means, I should be under a lot of stress.

But here I am, chilling around in my car. Taking pictures. Most of my quests so far involve buying tomatoes, picking up onions, and finding beans. Most of my friends conversation involve new things they could cook or that woman with the big boobs that fixed our cars. We're taking selfies, making super cool poses in front of the camera, and wondering what else we can cook.

You think I am joking about the tomatoes and the beans. I am not. The first quest after the shit went down was a cook in a kitchen asking me to buy a tomato in another town.
One tomato.

I don't know what to say.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Its a game where "nOt aN RPg" is actually justified. There is no choice in the gameplay, at all. It doesnt matter which weapons you take, magic is a consumable so it doesnt matter and the skill system is barely decoration. Side Quests are the most filler trash I ever encountered, and I played a modern Ubisoft game in my life. It has quests which are literally all about product placement, you need to collect these ingredients so we can make BRANDNAME food for our tent. So incredibly misspent was the budget of the game they had to literally resort to shilling in a full price rpg. The story is hacked up into a movie, an anime, the game, 18 pieces of pivotal DLC and a private myspace profile picture the author has somewhere probably, leaving it a confused and bland mess. The open world is the most bland and soulless I have ever seen and I played a modern Ubisoft game in my life. The car mechanic is not even a mechanic its a way to mask loading screen. Literally the only thing this has going for it is good concept art and character design. It is a Final Fantasy so atrocious it made some people rethink their stance on FF13 being the worst Final Fantasy, and that is saying something.

Edit: Only play it if you are hungry for Gladiolus cock

Bahamut

Arcane
XV was just desperate attempt to recover at least some money drowned in its development hell. For salvage attempt it's not that bad, it's just very disappointing because I liked some story beats.

Deleted member 7219

XV was just desperate attempt to recover at least some money drowned in its development hell. For salvage attempt it's not that bad, it's just very disappointing because I liked some story beats.

The CGI movie that came out before the game was really good. The game should have been a sequel to that rather than... well, others in this thread have already spoken about how bad the story and characters are.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Been actually playing it almost non stop.

It's one of the best bad game I have ever played. It's impossible to defend, and yet, it's enjoyable.

680x0

Learned

It's one of the best bad game I have ever played. It's impossible to defend, and yet, it's enjoyable.

Most people won't get this, but for me it kinda feels like one of those janky Euro/Japan only simple series Playstation 2 games, just massively scaled up.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Most people won't get this, but for me it kinda feels like one of those janky Euro/Japan only simple series Playstation 2 games, just massively scaled up.

Like the game about the girls in bikinis fighting zombies? Onchambara or something, I think it’s called.

680x0

Learned
Yes.

http://fuji.drillspirits.net/simple/

This site has a fairly complete list with English versions (if they were released)

It was the series that launched Oneechanbara (which inspired Lollipop Chainsaw) and EDF.

Rumor has it the main Euro publisher 505 Games at that time was laundering money for the Italian mafia.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You think the term "ludonarrative dissonance" that was passed around a while ago was overhyped ?

The CGI movie that came out before the game was really good. The game should have been a sequel to that rather than... well, others in this thread have already spoken about how bad the story and characters are.
This is what happens when a game is stuck in development hell for six years and only rescued by combining a dark story about the annihilation of one's homeland and family (and world) with a heartwarming tale about a J-Pop boy-band's Open World road trip. :M

Could a kind moderator please merge with https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/final-fantasy-15.90327/

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It's a good "bros on a road trip" simulator and the story should've been more low key with lower stakes to serve that atmosphere they were going for. At the very least, the city being wrecked and causing all sorts of chaos should have happened much later in the story, so you could preserve the carefree atmosphere for most of the adventure until things get serious.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Guys, you know how some smartasses used to say "haha, the final fantasy fight system, just push the attack button repeatedly" even in the FF7 era and it was never true ?

Well, I just beat the entirety of FF15 like that. At no point thinking about strategy ever. At no point considering equipment, or how to upgrade my characters.

Before entering the final chapter and bosses battle I was thinking "huh, I never had to think at all during the game, and i'm only 5 levels above the recommended, this could be actually challenging.".

But my next thought was : "I have plenty of money, I'll buy 99 super potions, 99 phoenix downs, 99 elixirs and 99 super elixirs this is going to do the trick".

It did.

I have no idea what I have been doing during the entirety of the game, and especially combat where in the final bosses I could not even tell what was going on the screen with all the flashing light effects.

But that did not matter. I had 99 of everything. Thanks for playing.

Maybe the DLCs are actually challenging considering they are taking the open world off, apparently.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
I just realized why I thought the plot of FFXV was Shakespearian but poorly narrated.

It turns out that Final Fantasy XV is actually The Lion King.

Noctis/Simba is exiled from his country by Scar/Ardyn.
Insomnia/Lion Land deperishes under the hand of Scar/Ardyn.
With the help of Tymon &Pumba / Gladio,Ignis,Prompto, Noctis becomes happy and carefree.
However, he meets regularly with the ghosts of Mufasa/Regis-oldkings and realize what he must do.
Ten years leater, Mufasa/Noctis comes back to his kingdom to unseat Ardyn/Scar.

Wow.

edit : oh, and Lunafreya is actually that monkey.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Some more final thoughts.

I am really conflicted about this game. Really pretty much.

* I kept hearing horrible things about Chapter 13 and I dreaded the worse. It turned out, however, it was fairly enjoyable and not painful. Possibly because I played the patched version, but it was pretty straightforward, and just annoying enough to make you feel sympathy with Noctis. This is the one chapter where the player builds a meaningful connection with Noctis. Being annoyed at what happens is the whole point. It's an ordeal, a trial, a test of strength, and to see how much he has grown character wise. Chapter 13 made me like Noctis more and from a gameplay point of view, I was epecting way way worse.

* Most importantly... They are remaking FF7, which is a great game. I think, of all things, this is the one game that needs a remake.

FF15 has the seeds, ingredients, of a brilliant game. Yet the cooking was rushed and unfinished. It's just fucking sad and a goddamn shame. The more I think about this game the more I believe it could, and should, have been the best final fantasy since FF9.
The story is there. The plot is simple : exiled prince becomes king without a kingdom, needs to reconnect with his family and destiny, before growing and embracing it through spiritual (in the magical or philosphical sense of the word) of his ancestors. It is a simple yet strong plot. I was ready to jump on the "gay boys band" bandwagon but it turned out that the characters are the most likable since I have played FF9. Noctis, especially, is fairly relatable and the other characters, besides Prompto, are okay.
There is the traveling aspect, the tomb exploring, the journey, and the character growth and the art direction. Everything is there. Every ingredient for an absolutely fantastic game.

But the game sucks. The game sucks because the tragic story feels like a holiday cruise in its first part and a gloriously unfinished mess in its second part. The game sucks because they had to get it out the door at some point.

I'm persuaded that the entire FF15 team knows what is wrong with it. I'm persuaded that, given the chance to start again, they would produce a game that is great and follows a good story.

Remakes should not try to one-up games that are already good. Remakes should take games that had the potential to be good, but failed for one reason or the other. FF15 is a prime example of that. I cannot, in a honest and sane mind, recommend this game to anyone at full price. Anyone who buys this game need to be warned, severely, about what is wrong with it. And yet, I cannot bring it to myself to hate it.
Because it's all there. All the things to make a great game are in FF15. It's just a shame the dev team couldn't make that game.

Tigranes

Arcane
I just realized why I thought the plot of FFXV was Shakespearian but poorly narrated.

It turns out that Final Fantasy XV is actually The Lion King.

Noctis/Simba is exiled from his country by Scar/Ardyn.
Insomnia/Lion Land deperishes under the hand of Scar/Ardyn.
With the help of Tymon &Pumba / Gladio,Ignis,Prompto, Noctis becomes happy and carefree.
However, he meets regularly with the ghosts of Mufasa/Regis-oldkings and realize what he must do.
Ten years leater, Mufasa/Noctis comes back to his kingdom to unseat Ardyn/Scar.

Wow.

edit : oh, and Lunafreya is actually that monkey.

I mean, FF12 starts off with a plucky orphan in a sandswept locale cared for by a gruffy flying-insect alien, who joins up with a fearsome warrior long thought dead and the princess/queen of the resistance, who in turn enlists the help of a cool-as-bubblegum sky pirate with a customised fast ship and a furry sidekick, all of whom end up infiltrating a superpowered Imperial juggernaut and (kind of) blowing it up with the late help of the Emperor's son.

I wonder where they got that from.

Cat Dude

Savant
Its a game where "nOt aN RPg" is actually justified. There is no choice in the gameplay, at all. It doesnt matter which weapons you take, magic is a consumable so it doesnt matter and the skill system is barely decoration. Side Quests are the most filler trash I ever encountered, and I played a modern Ubisoft game in my life. It has quests which are literally all about product placement, you need to collect these ingredients so we can make BRANDNAME food for our tent. So incredibly misspent was the budget of the game they had to literally resort to shilling in a full price rpg. The story is hacked up into a movie, an anime, the game, 18 pieces of pivotal DLC and a private myspace profile picture the author has somewhere probably, leaving it a confused and bland mess. The open world is the most bland and soulless I have ever seen and I played a modern Ubisoft game in my life. The car mechanic is not even a mechanic its a way to mask loading screen. Literally the only thing this has going for it is good concept art and character design. It is a Final Fantasy so atrocious it made some people rethink their stance on FF13 being the worst Final Fantasy, and that is saying something.

Edit: Only play it if you are hungry for Gladiolus cock

Gladiolus looks like WWE's Roman Reigns

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom