Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally, a game making the $400 PS4 worth it!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's called The Pinball Arcade and it's awesome.

It's also free on the Sony Marketplace. Well, the demo is free. Let me explain.

Did you spend way too much time and money in your youth pumping quarter after quarter into the classic video games and pinball machines of the 80's and 90's? Want to relive a little of that former glory? Then check out this title which I think is available not only for the PS4 but also for the PC and mobile as well.

The Pinball Arcade from FarSight Studios comes with one free table, Tales of the Arabian Nights, which all alone makes the price of admission (zero) and the download time worth it. It, along with all the other tables that are available as a paid package, is recreated in one-hundred percent lovingly detailed accuracy, down to even the printed instructions along the top of the table, the upright art, all the sounds, and every other feature that made classics like this so great. Check out the link for a list of other titles that are available, but some of my favorites so far are Gorgar, Black Knight, Elvira and the Party Monsters, and many others. You can purchase all of what's called "Season One" now, for $29.99, which includes a total of 22 tables. Season Two, which says it's "coming soon", hopefully will add that many or more. Season Three only includes two tables for some reason, but I think the value offered through what's there now is more than worth it.

The games play perfectly with the PS4 controller. While there's no shock vibration at all (which actually might ruin the experience), you can use the analog stick to launch the ball, you can bump the table, and the shoulder buttons control the flippers. The action is lightning quick and realistic. You'll find yourself using the exact same techniques as when you were younger and better, a lot of the "touch" coming back as you work yourself into a groove with each new table. Locally-stored high scores are there for you and your family or buddies or whatever, and some impossible-looking high scores are there to view if you feel like being utterly humiliated; the game supports internet multiplayer and even a Tournament Mode, which I haven't looked into yet.

Seriously, I have spent hours addicted to this game. It's ironic that it took a next-gen console to recreate the look and feel of these forgotten gems from a better time and I'm really glad I spotted the demo. Download it for yourself and see what you think. By the way, my high score on Tales of the Arabian Nights so far is about 42 million.

Good luck and don't tilt.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
grumpy_old_man.jpg

Black

Arcane
But I can play Pinball Dreams on any amiga emulator FOR FREE and not support eastern jews.

I haven't played the PS4 version, but the PC version is not that great. Ball physics are alright but the artwork is pretty low resolution, clearly brought over from inferior versions of the game (tablets, whatever). This is evident in the playfield elements and especially in the printed texts.

That said, pinball machines are great and Tales of the Arabian Nights is probably my favourite table ever, so being able to play even a distant analogue to the real thing for free can't be bad, even though I don't think video pinball makes that much sense.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Pinball is definitely a game that is fun for real, utter shite when simulated.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom