Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally, a new crpg blobber - Lord of Seal

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
roqua dislikes RPGs which don't feature choose-your-own-adventure style quests or that lack A/B/C dialog trees, and he does not consider clearning a 10 floor dungeon maze to be actual RPG gameplay.

in short he's a storyfag who doesn't know he is one. hard-core Wiz-clones are not his cup of tea.

No, I don't care if the quests are chose your own adventure, or fedex, or whatever. I don't care if there is a minimal story, oir if the story sucks. I just want content. I want Towns and npcs and shops. Not just more dungeon. And the fact that you can think Elminage Gothic, with its peon level chargen and chardev, is anything but rpg-lite is so far behind the beyond, it is really beyond the behind. The combat is mindless just basic attack with no thought or thinking. It is like a slower RTwP. No challenge, no thought, and not even any content. Just shit for kids and monkeys.

Suicidal

Arcane
But Roqua, Elminage Gothic does have towns, shops, NPC and quests. I didn't like the game myself (at least on first glance) but those things were definitely there. Sure, the story is probably ass and what little quests I saw were all a variation of "bring me item X from dungeon Y", but as you said, it doesn't matter to you, you just need those things to be there and they definitely are.

Roqua

Prospernaut
But Roqua, Elminage Gothic does have towns, shops, NPC and quests. I didn't like the game myself (at least on first glance) but those things were definitely there. Sure, the story is probably ass and what little quests I saw were all a variation of "bring me item X from dungeon Y", but as you said, it doesn't matter to you, you just need those things to be there and they definitely are.

I saw no quests. The blacksmith said he'd do something if I brought him ore and he never did. I get way too bored of the monkey combat before the first dungeon is over, so maybe the quests start after that? I have an earlier Elminage game for one of the hand console things and it has quests right from the getgo. I need a mixture of content and character building. Entrain Odyssey (I've played 2 and 3) have the bare amount of content I need. There were lots of quests directing me, and I got a pretty decent stream of item upgrades, etc. Elminage Gothic was just shit combat after shit combat with shit loot, no challenge, no direction, no chardev, nothing. I just don't get it.

And any game that takes significant amount of time wading through shit and more shit before it gets okay is a shit game. And any game that only gets good in new game plus after 100 hours of shit grinding with a monkey difficulty is only for crazies and weirdos. I am neither. Sure, the idiots here will say I'm both, but that is because they are crazy and weird and are projecting.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Roqua, I think I can safely say this is not the game you're looking for. I would like to thank you for posting this thread though as it's just the sort of game my sub-human, weirdo tastes run to! :smug:

I've had three quests by char lvl 5, one of them just a wave of three fights on the first floor and two of them 'collect these items'. No sign of any story or any lore beyond, "here's a mysterious dungeon filled with danger and loot- go run around it".

I've been playing it for the last two hours and I think my initial impression was right in comparing it to Etrian Odyssey and Lab of Touhou. E.O is the definite inspiration, I've run across harvesting points and items on the ground in the dungeon even sparkle like in EO. The combat is tough and deadly like Wizardry and still seems pretty in depth. I'm getting to grips a lot more with it now and I'm not as fragile as I was, but 2 hours later it still feels like I'm exploring a dangerous and deadly maze.

What I like most though is the same sort of feeling of the unknown like when MMX was released and there was no information out there about trainers or quests or pretty much anything. It was about finding shit out for yourself and figuring stuff out as you go. Too much handholding bollocks for me in most of today's games, I like to discover stuff for myself and not feel it's being handed to me on a plate. This game is one of the most obtuse I've ever played, but you can tell all the pieces are there to figure it out.

TLDR: you'll probably hate it but I love it!

Suicidal

Arcane
I've had three quests by char lvl 5, one of them just a wave of three fights on the first floor and two of them 'collect these items'. No sign of any story or any lore beyond, "here's a mysterious dungeon filled with danger and loot- go run around it".

So now that you've actually leveled up, can you shed some light on what the character development is like? Do you just watch the numbers grow or can you actually make choices?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

So now that you've actually leveled up, can you shed some light on what the character development is like? Do you just watch the numbers grow or can you actually make choices?

Ok, this is what I've discovered so far:

9LzJzsu.jpg

So this is the character sheet. Each character has a class, (which is labelled Race) and an 'Orb', which can be changed when in town and sets the focus for the character. More on that later. Each char has the usual HP, MP and TP, which starts off at a set level each fight and goes up a set amount each attack or defend action. When your TP reaches certain levels you can do attacks or 'Boost' the character for a buff. Not played with boosts too much tbh. Skills are granted by both your class and your equipped items. Spells can be cast through gems that you buy from the shop, but as each item has a load figure, the more you equip the slower you are and the less moves you get.

JNiRGHN.jpg

This is the Orb sheet. Each of these represents a focus for the char and gives bonuses to various stats. When you level up, you get a set increase in stats dependant on your Class, but you also get SP. These SP can be used to either change your Orb, or spent on Masteries.

KHbQaAA.jpg

And these are the Masteries. Each of these cost various amounts of SP and in most cases are gated by level. These either add an amount to your stats, give you another skill or a passive ability, or improve your defenses. This looks like the main way to customise your individual characters.

In addition to this, you can also level up your equipment at the Alchemist.

QiEo1KC.jpg

This reminded me of the Class of Heroes system, although it doesn't look like it breaks the game if you improve your armour like in CoH!

I'm still not sure on some of the stats, like difference between Mental and Intelligence and what affects what, but I'm getting there.

Suicidal

Arcane
That does sound pretty interesting, thank you. But those menu choices look like they didn't bother properly making the interface and just left whatever text was in their game code. Like alchemy_enhance, USED_SP, what the fuck is this shit? Also why is there stat called hate? :lol:

But from seeing this I think the game might be worth 5 jewros.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Also why is there stat called hate?

At first I thought it was like the 'affinity' stat, but from playing around a bit I'm pretty sure now it is really, the hate that the char generates from the mobs. My tank char generates 11 hate and had 11 no matter the races I had in my party. The tanky orbs I've seen also add 1 hate. I've not seen a 'taunt' skill yet so it might be a pretty important stat to track.

Without doubt, this is worth 5 jewros of anyone's money if you're a blobber fan. The mechanics are deeper than Stranger of Sword city already and I'm only two floors in.

Just gotta look past the low production values and high cringe level of the art. Mechanics wise, I'm thinking this will surpass S&S: Underworld, although the map design probably won't and the art certainly won't.

Suicidal

Arcane
Also why is there stat called hate?

At first I thought it was like the 'affinity' stat, but from playing around a bit I'm pretty sure now it is really, the hate that the char generates from the mobs. My tank char generates 11 hate and had 11 no matter the races I had in my party. The tanky orbs I've seen also add 1 hate. I've not seen a 'taunt' skill yet so it might be a pretty important stat to track.

Without doubt, this is worth 5 jewros of anyone's money if you're a blobber fan. The mechanics are deeper than Stranger of Sword city already and I'm only two floors in.

Just gotta look past the low production values and high cringe level of the art. Mechanics wise, I'm thinking this will surpass S&S: Underworld, although the map design probably won't and the art certainly won't.

Well looks like you've convinced me, gonna give it a shot.

Also, I've played over 100 hours of LoT 2 and beaten it to completion. Its low production values didn't stop it from being my favorite game of 2015 and 2016 :D.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
The homage to Etrian Odyssey continues...

9DOzbIf.jpg

Compared to some of the bundle fodder I've bought and refunded recently, (Storm Guard and Halcyon 6 come to mind), this is like a breath of fresh air.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
That's closer to being a ripoff rather than a homage.

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 did exactly the same thing though, it's almost a staple of jap crawlers now. I must admit they could have made the icons something other than an arrow though, it is almost a carbon copy of EO when you look at the map!

Suicidal

Arcane
Are the patrolling monsters called FOEs like in EO? It was funny when I saw them referred to that way in LoT 2. If the guys who made EO were anything like Wizards of the Coast there would be lawsuits up the ass.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
from looking at the stat names and the item text and descriptions i can 100% guarantee you that it is the result of machine translation. absolutely nothing wrong w/ that as long as it isn't dialog (which i imagine this game won't have much of), just pointing that out in case anyone thinks its just the definitely not-English-speaking-devs being "dumb".

no, they're not dumb, they just didn't have access to human-translation.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Roqua, I think I can safely say this is not the game you're looking for. I would like to thank you for posting this thread though as it's just the sort of game my sub-human, weirdo tastes run to! :smug:

I've been playing it for the last two hours and I think my initial impression was right in comparing it to Etrian Odyssey and Lab of Touhou. E.O is the definite inspiration, I've run across harvesting points and items on the ground in the dungeon even sparkle like in EO. The combat is tough and deadly like Wizardry and still seems pretty in depth. I'm getting to grips a lot more with it now and I'm not as fragile as I was, but 2 hours later it still feels like I'm exploring a dangerous and deadly maze.

What I like most though is the same sort of feeling of the unknown like when MMX was released and there was no information out there about trainers or quests or pretty much anything. It was about finding shit out for yourself and figuring stuff out as you go. Too much handholding bollocks for me in most of today's games, I like to discover stuff for myself and not feel it's being handed to me on a plate. This game is one of the most obtuse I've ever played, but you can tell all the pieces are there to figure it out.

TLDR: you'll probably hate it but I love it!

I liked EO 2 and 3 (the only two I've tried). The chardev seems to have some meat to it, unlike in EG, so I'll definitely give it a try.

Also, even if a game has been out for 20 years it is like the information isn't there if you don't search for it. My fun seems to be derived from the same sense as yours - figuring it out myself. Me versus this new system or systems in a new game. I just can't deal with no systems, which is what EG offered. Almost no choice chargen and no choice chardev and one shop with only two items that aren't just basic shit doesn't cut the mustard for old Roqua.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
For anyone wondering about loot, I just started finding 'cocoon's' after some battles from 3F onwards. These look like they function as treasure chests. Not positive on the mechanics, but the options are Examine, Leave, Ash Vial (item that costs 1000GP at the shop, maybe 100% disarm?), All out attack. I've been Examining as it seemed the most sensible and twice have had what amounts to a mini-boss battle with a Mimic. Probably had about 8 Cocoons so far.

e2Ioixv.jpg

Inside is mainly gems that you can socket into your weapon and armour at item lvl 3 onwards, but I also found a very decent glove weapon that gives +50TP on attack. There's 230-odd weapons according to the Data tab so I think things will improve for loot later on.

I've also run into a different coloured Rage Deer that was a 'Unique' according to the description. He was tougher and dropped a rare gem as loot, so there's those to look out for as well. *Edit* and this Unique Mantis now as well...

67p3lEC.jpg

Last edited:

duanth123

Arcane
For anyone wondering about loot, I just started finding 'cocoon's' after some battles from 3F onwards. These look like they function as treasure chests. Not positive on the mechanics, but the options are Examine, Leave, Ash Vial (item that costs 1000GP at the shop, maybe 100% disarm?), All out attack. I've been Examining as it seemed the most sensible and twice have had what amounts to a mini-boss battle with a Mimic. Probably had about 8 Cocoons so far.

e2Ioixv.jpg

Inside is mainly gems that you can socket into your weapon and armour at item lvl 3 onwards, but I also found a very decent glove weapon that gives +50TP on attack. There's 230-odd weapons according to the Data tab so I think things will improve for loot later on.

I've also run into a different coloured Rage Deer that was a 'Unique' according to the description. He was tougher and dropped a rare gem as loot, so there's those to look out for as well.

Seeing as this game apes the EO series, how's the story?

Is there a backstory to the labyrinth? Do you encounter little lore moments while traversing it?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
So far, nope. Story is non-existent up to 5F. No idea when the whole 'Lord of the Seal' stuff kicks in, but there's an NPC in the inn who keeps on looking at my map and being disappointed, so maybe he info dumps after a specific point.

I've encountered two NPC's in the maze so far, but both were only when I was on a quest for them. The maze so far has contained sparkly items on the ground and gathering / mining points.

It doesn't bother me personally, but this game makes Elminage Gothic look like Torment for lore and story.

Suicidal

Arcane
Played it a bit. For 5 jewros, this is a decent game. Very barebones but pretty good at what it does. Character building is interesting since you basically create whatever the fuck you want through a combination of items, skills, enchants, etc. Want your support caster to have an offensive spell? Give him a gem that lets him use a lightning attack. Oh shit, you equipped the gem and now his equipment weight is too much and he's slower. Learn the skill that lets him carry more, or find an enchant that lets you do that. Or just deal with the fact that his turn will come later in combat. Your new lightning spell does shit damage? Change your weapon to something that gives more INT, buff it, insert a +INT gem and voila - you now have an offensive caster.

Combat is also decent with a bunch of different mechanics, like needing to build up energy before using skills, chain attacks, boosting and etc. Shackleton talked about these already. So far the enemy variety is pretty lacking, however and I haven't encountered any particularly interesting enemies or bosses yet. The only trademark EO wandering miniboss I found was pretty easy.

There is a day-night cycle and I believe at night the monsters become stronger, attack you in bigger numbers and you can also encounter some shadow demon things that oneshot my non tank characters by farting in their general direction.

Not much in the ways of story and quests but who gives a shit.

Basically so far this seems like a budget version of Etrian Odyssey with some additional complexity layers in combat and interesting character building, but shittier more primitive dungeons to compensate. Worth the 5 jewros, I mean it's basically one pizza.

The translations make my brain and eyes bleed however.

Suicidal

Arcane
:necro:

So did anyone here actually finish this?

I recently remembered about this game and that I stopped playing somewhere into the last third and decided to finish it. It's not very long. I stand by my initial evaluation - it's a decent, if a bit basic crawler and is worth playing if you like dungeon crawlers and are looking for something new.

I liked that in the final boss fight you basically have to prevent it from reaching 100% TP (seriously, what's with these indie weeb games and the word TP that's supposed to represent some sort of stamina or energy stat - Labyrinth of Touhou has it. This game has it. What does that even mean? Tenacity points? Talent points? Toilet paper?) and the lower its hp the faster the bar fills up.

But after finishing the game I noticed that there were still a bunch of monsters missing from the bestiary that I did not encounter anywhere. Also, the exploration % for the final boss area (which is basically a short corridor with a single room that I completely explored) is at 52% and in the place of the final boss there is an event that says "something is watching you" when you step on the tile. Anyone here knows what's up with that? Is there some optional/post-game content that I missed? Obviously relying on Google when dealing with a game this obscure is pointless and most comments in Steam are on the level of "how do I open inventory?".

Also this thread made me realize that I miss Roqua :(

TigerKnee

Arcane
(seriously, what's with these indie weeb games and the word TP that's supposed to represent some sort of stamina or energy stat - Labyrinth of Touhou has it. This game has it. What does that even mean? Tenacity points? Talent points? Toilet paper?) and the lower its hp the faster the bar fills up.
Technical Points.

I suspect it's popular in RPGmaker games because it's a default RPGMaker mechanic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom