Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Finally finished Geneforge 2... on Linux

jaylittle

Scholar
So after a few aborted attempts, I finally managed to finish Geneforge 2 this morning. Of course while that is an accomplishment, the real win here was that I was able to play the game all the way through from start to finish on Linux using PlayOnLinux and Wine. For the last few years, Wine has had a bug that made the Geneforge games unplayable. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26365

That bug was recently fixed so years after switching to Linux full time, I was able to resume my attempts at completing every game in the Geneforge series. I finished the first one a few years back and I'm happy to be moving forward again. The only question I have now is... should I immediately move onto Geneforge 3 or go back to my Ultima series playthrough by taking up Ultima 4? Decisions, decisions...

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
So after a few aborted attempts, I finally managed to finish Geneforge 2 this morning. Of course while that is an accomplishment, the real win here was that I was able to play the game all the way through from start to finish on Linux using PlayOnLinux and Wine. For the last few years, Wine has had a bug that made the Geneforge games unplayable. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26365

That bug was recently fixed so years after switching to Linux full time, I was able to resume my attempts at completing every game in the Geneforge series. I finished the first one a few years back and I'm happy to be moving forward again. The only question I have now is... should I immediately move onto Geneforge 3 or go back to my Ultima series playthrough by taking up Ultima 4? Decisions, decisions...

What about a review of the game? Would be interested in your views as I recently bought the games but been a bit reluctant to delve into them.

jaylittle

Scholar
I enjoyed the game. Reminded me a lot of Geneforge 1 in terms of the mechanics. Plot was better but overall play was basically the same. As I did in the first game I ended up siding with the shapers as a shaper. I was judicious enough in my use of canisters to avoid any major ill effects in the end but still got access to all the major summons except the drayk. I hope to see a bit more variety in subsequent games but as of right now my expectations on that front are pretty low.

groundhog

Educated
The only question I have now is... should I immediately move onto Geneforge 3 or go back to my Ultima series playthrough by taking up Ultima 4? Decisions, decisions...

I haven't played any of the Geneforge series yet (I'm currently playing Avadon 2). However, from what I've read here and elsewhere is that they are great games, but if they have a fault it's that they are very similar to each other. So my advice would be to play Ultima IV next before resuming with the Geneforge series.

Terra

Cipher

I wouldn't recommend playing G3 immediately after G2, from personal experience, I got burnt out doing just that. The thing is, G3 is split into multiple islands, is fairly linear and moving onto the next island in the sequence invariably requires mopping up the major questlines on the current island. The net effect of this is you kind of feel like you're playing about 4 mini-Geneforge games in sequence. Add in the fact that the method of travel between islands makes backtracking an arduous task and it's easy to burn out on the. 3 is arguably the weakest in the series (although having Alwan and Greta accompany does lend the game a unique perspective among the series) so I'd give it time before jumping back in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom