Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Firefall

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Has this even left beta yet? Looked promising once but I completely lost track.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Can't say I blame them for shutting off a system that didn't attract so little of the people playing but that it didn't attract too many people in an MMO shooter of all things is not a good sign.

Zeriel

Arcane
I have no sympathy for anyone who uses the term "eSports" with a straight face. Fuck you, Firefall!

I actually really enjoy watching SC2 pro games. Can't think of any other game that isn't a joke to watch, though.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Going to bring this thread back up and add my experience with their alpha or closed beta I was in. This game is screwed and I would be surprised if it doesn't get canned as the state it is in is comparable to patient with dementia shitting themselves everyday. Game was full of bugs and their rift like events never worked correctly, the U.I sucked dick, and the pvp aspect became a bore with the amount of cheese from certain classes which is worsened by how there is jack in a balanced MM system. The only thing that kept me into playing the game was the mining with the thumpers (basically huge drills that you mine resources) and while you mine you have to fight of mobs that attack the drill. Problem is that the disparity of the amount of mobs and strength is horrendous between the different drill and if you dick up by getting a heavy drill you have to grind for more resources since you can't liquidate anything you manufacture.

So in a nut shell the game is garbage and it would be at minimum another three years before they get their head out of their own asses and make the game actually fun.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Seems like they were trying to create a F2P Borderlands MMO and failed. The PvE looked somewhat interesting but I never saw enough content to keep it viable. A lot like uh Global Agenda. I have no idea why a studio would try to make an MMO today. The market is glutted.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Seems like they were trying to create a F2P Borderlands MMO and failed. The PvE looked somewhat interesting but I never saw enough content to keep it viable. A lot like uh Global Agenda. I have no idea why a studio would try to make an MMO today. The market is glutted.
Every publisher thinks they can have the WoW killer (even though it's clear the only thing that can kill WoW by this point is Hegh'bat).

Dr Tomo

Learned
:necro:

Not sure if this is good or bad news, but this does mean that the company will now be able to release something soon.

BREAKING NEWS: Red 5 Board Votes Out Co-Founder Mark Kern As CEO
The board of directors of Firefall developer Red 5 Studios has voted to remove co-founder Mark Kern from his role as chief executive officer, according to an email sent to Red 5 employees and obtained by Game Front.

According to the email sent by Vice President of Development James Macauley, the board voted to remove Kern as CEO “effectively immediately,” as well as from his position on the board. Kern will “no longer have any authority to act for or on behalf of Red 5 Studios.”

In the email, Macauley assures employees that he and other management staff at the company “will continue to be here to serve and support each of you,” but also acknowledges that “this is a major change for our company,” without going into further detail about what might change at the studio.

Red 5 has not officially announced Kern’s removal from the positions.

The email, provided by a source close to the situation, is included below:

“My fellow Red 5ers,

“Today, the Red 5 Studios Board of Directors met and after deliberation have decided that Mark Kern will no longer be the Chief Executive Officer or on the Board of Red 5 Studios. Effective immediately Mark will no longer have any authority to act for or on behalf of Red 5 Studios.

“As one of the founders of Red 5 Studios and our leader for many, many years, we owe Mark a great deal of appreciation for all that he has done to help build this company and to set the vision for an incredible new game. I am personally grateful for my relationship with Mark and the many years I have worked with him.

“This is a major change to our company. Your managers and I will set to work to cover any and all areas that Mark was directly handling and we are continuing to solidify the plan for 2014. I assure you that we are and will continue to be here to serve and support each of you.

“We will be holding a team meeting to discuss this topic at 11:15 a.m. tomorrow but I wanted to make sure you were officially informed of this significant change to your company.

“Please grab me or any of the managers at any time or give us a call if you would like to discuss in private.

“Please refrain from discussing this topic outside the company.

Sincerely,
James”

Kern was the last of Red 5′s four founders with the company, all of whom formerly worked at Blizzard Entertainment on its MMO, World of Warcraft. Kern rose to the position of CEO in 2009. During his time as CEO, the company announced its massively multiplayer online game Firefall, and it was revealed in 2010 that Chinese publisher The9 had acquired a majority stake in the company. Around that time, Red 5 was hit with layoffs that cut its roster of employees down to about 30 from 65.

Further layoffs occurred in September as Red 5 said it was restructuring ahead of Firefall’s launch. At that time, Red 5 laid off some 10 percent of its staff.

Game Front is reaching out to Red 5 for comment on the situation, and this story will be updated as it develops.
http://www.gamefront.com/breaking-red-5-board-votes-out-founder-mark-kern/

set

Cipher
There's a board of five people when the company is only 27 strong? Sounds like a bunch of knuckleheads playing at follow the market leader.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

This has been on Steam a couple of days now. Sort of looks appealing from a Borderplands perspective but I've heard it's a pain in the ass to get into, you have to join annoying as guilds or clans to get anywhere and you need to spend money for convenient travel.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Can't play it because it requires port range UDP 32000-65535.

I use Toastman QOS principles, where all traffic is by default "bulk" unless elevated. Elevating 33535 ports to high priority traffic would ruin my QOS, so I can't play this game.

But from what people are saying, I don't seem to be missing much. Also this shit has an unskippable intro (lul).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sort of looks appealing from a Borderplands perspective but I've heard it's a pain in the ass to get into, you have to join annoying as guilds or clans to get anywhere and you need to spend money for convenient travel.
dunno bout guilds (other than you have to in pretty much every mmorpg out there), but perma lgvs and gliders can be normally gotten by f2p players plus you can buy the real money currency for ingame currency.

Spockrock

Augur

This has been on Steam a couple of days now. Sort of looks appealing from a Borderplands perspective but I've heard it's a pain in the ass to get into, you have to join annoying as guilds or clans to get anywhere and you need to spend money for convenient travel.
it's very easy to get into because it's a simple shooter with jetpacks (meaning you hardly ever die), and you don't need to spend anything to travel, because:
*in-game ferry system in the newbie zone, that is free
*gliders, you can also get them for free (1-use ones you get in stacks just for doing "quests")
*motorcycles you can also get for free (again, 1-use ones are easy to get but there are a few free permanent options)

as for guilds, most content is doable solo, save for special instances which require at least 10 people to enter (there are 3 of these in the game currently, so you're not missing much)

there's work being done on a Planetside-like PvP, this is definitely made with guilds in mind but it's so far from being finished you won't have to worry about it for at least a year.

the biggest problem with this game is its lack of content. the zones are quite big but empty. save for a few NPCs here and there and randomly spawning dynamic encounters the zones have no life to them (no mobs ever spawn anywhere unless they're part of an event). NPC quests are an afterthought and were a last-minute addition for players that were begging for a WoW-like progression (the devs ditched a no-level system to appease players coming in from other MMOs).

and then there's competitve PvP, which the game was built around at some point. but last year they completely scrapped it in order to focus their efforts on releasing the game with enough PvE content to keep the players in the game. as a result hardcore PvP players left, PvE players that wanted Tribes-like gameplay also left. now we have classes that are being rebalanced for WoW-like combat which results in broken class combinations that hastily get nerfed, alienating players even more

there's still some hope for Firefall, but the devs really need to see money start rolling in from players or the game is doomed (they're too slow to release content - lack of workforce - so many people drop the game early, because there's only so much leveling up you can bear)

Gerrard

Arcane
The necromancy gif is highly appropriate considering how dead the game is. The devs won't see any money because they had no idea how to price shit in the store (35 bucks for a bike) AND they are incompetent fucks when ti comes to the game itself as well.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Yeah this game is going to die. I was in close beta from the beginning, when the game had a lot of promise and potential. But after the scandal of their CEO this game is going straight to the shit dump. I just grinded until I got the bike. I can't bear the shitty grinding anymore.

--extremely bad optimization: my video card can run Crysis 3 ultra at 1920x1200 at 30fps but in this game it constantly stutters. One second I'm getting above 40fps and when I turn around there is a stutter of 5fps. Almost unplayable. Also the textures are bad even by 2007 standard.

--bad itemization: I play the minigun guy and there are essentially maybe 4 minigun models. Am I supposed to fire the same gun for hundreds of hours in an FPS?

--quests, AI and dialogues are from bland to bad. Storyline? What storyline? I thought they got Ender's Game's author to write the story. But even after I finished the first zone, I've seen nothing that resembles a storyline. OK there is the "melding" and evil aliens come through to kill humans. Nothing else is explained.

Basically it's a bad shooter and bad MMO. Now that even Bored-lands has jet packs I see no reason to continue grinding in this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom