Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview First Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay details revealed

Shilandra

Learned
I will apologize in advance for the shitty call to arms, but... Join to fight the good (preventive) fight and say no to bullshit color-tiered weapons in Cyberpunk.
Or worse, procedurally generated ones with random stats.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ern-about-itemization.10970975/#post-11010008

:salute:

I dont know. It would be kinda hard to say on the box that the game has six gorillion weapons without color coding.

This is supposed to be a FPSRPG. Blurbs like that are important dont you know?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mondo_2000_magazine_issue_10_1993_RU_a_Cyberpunk_p30.jpg

Aim1ess

Novice
I will apologize in advance for the shitty call to arms, but... Join to fight the good (preventive) fight and say no to bullshit color-tiered weapons in Cyberpunk.
Or worse, procedurally generated ones with random stats.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ern-about-itemization.10970975/#post-11010008

:salute:
Depends on how they do it. Would it be

1. Hunting rifles are grey and bozars are purple but each hunting rifle has the same stats.

2. Randomly generated hunting rifles and each one has different stats which determines colors.

3. Base guns are grey, upgraded guns go up to purple.

Don't really have enough info to pull either way yet. Definitely dont want #2 though.

Aim1ess

Novice
So in this interview one of the writers talks about a dialogue system where the NPC knows and reacts to what you are looking at. Sounds interesting to me if you can use it to bluff people or some other creative stuff, maybe even use it to signal a friendly NPC without being obvious but it has a serious chance of being gimmicky as hell. Also, spoiler there is probably a neuro-chip under a flower in a dialogue somewhere in the game.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
FPP is bad for RPGs, because it seeks to put the player in the place of the character; the character becomes them, instead of the other way around.

"FPP is bad for RPGs, because it seeks to put the player in the place of the character"

This is what an RPG is meant to be. You know that when you play a character in a PNP role playing game you are playing them in first person, that's a basic part of assuming a role, with the vast majority of people phrasing their actions as "I do X," rather than "my character does X."

Last edited:
So in this interview one of the writers talks about a dialogue system where the NPC knows and reacts to what you are looking at. Sounds interesting to me if you can use it to bluff people or some other creative stuff, maybe even use it to signal a friendly NPC without being obvious but it has a serious chance of being gimmicky as hell. Also, spoiler there is probably a neuro-chip under a flower in a dialogue somewhere in the game.
Yeah, I noticed that part as well.
But frankly unless we'll see it used extensively I'd be tempted to dismiss it as something that they were just experimenting for the demo.
I somehow doubt they'd bother implementing something so complex across the entire game, especially given how massive it's supposed to be.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
"FPP is bad for RPGs, because it seeks to put the player in the place of the character"
This is what an RPG is meant to be.
The hell it is. That nullifies the point of making a character; an identity with aspirations, aptitudes, and limitations from a life growing up in the world of the game's setting. What you describe is costume.

RPG Characters are [effectively] the limitations by which the player can observe, solve, and influence the setting, based on what that character would do in the situation. If that character cannot accomplish a thing, then the player should never achieve it when playing them. They are not one in the same person. The player is probably a suburbanite, who has not experienced the life of the PC, and would likely act very differently in their place than they would. When the player runs the PC—a person (or creature) likely born in the game world, and accustomed to its other-worldly reality as their version of normal, they must ask themselves, how would that character react to the situations they find themselves in? What could their abilities, inhibitions, and willingness (if any) allow them to do?
(And ultimately... would these beliefs and behavior afford them success or failure?)
________

If the character were Indiana Jones, would he choose a path filled with snakes, if there was another way? Would he betray a colleague who trusted him at his word? Would he justify stealing from them? (...possibly)
If roleplaying the character Gandalf, would the player steal the One-Ring for his own use? Gandalf would not—Gandalf would not even willingly touch it; and knows it would twist him through his own kindness streak, and his willingness to do good. Choosing to steal the ring is out of character—even if the player wants it, they shouldn't get it when playing a PC who would not, or could not justify (or even manage) taking it.

If the character was the player's own creation, and they chose to create a streetwise thief who is alive because on the streets they stole daily to survive, including food from others in need of it—and thinks nothing of it... should that player not elect for them steal from others when given the chance?— even from friends, from allies; and even at risk of their permanent enmity, and —very inconvenient— lack of cooperation later? This is habit for them... it's what they do. A cleric PC might well choose to donate tithes at his church for himself and all of the other party members—with their own pay (if he is naive enough; ie. stat check); trusting that things will work out the best for them all, by his god's will...it being for their own good—sinners that they are.... and they'll probably hate him for it.

PC are not costumes with special abilities. It is not, "Cool! I am a Wizard!"... it is, "This is Edwin, a Red Wizard, a talented psychotic, attracted to gaining power over others through spellcraft; a man who would think nothing of torturing puppies if it suited his wont. Clever, but over confidant. He takes unwise risks, believing he will succeed where others could not; and that tempers the player's choice in a situation. With Edwin you don't play the hero without an ulterior motive, and without considering the mark a gullible fool. Edwin would betray his own party members; even sell them as slaves.

RPGs use player character statistics and abilities to evaluate when to say 'No'; this is most important of all. It's what keeps it from becoming a "let's pretend" free for all where the Barmaids punch out trolls, and Halflings hitch rides on canon balls (because why not?); or "Who says I can't swim across it?", "Why do I have to get caught picking his pocket? I don't want to get caught!".

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
I think we have two different rpg philosophies here, the "this is me in the game" vs "this is my character".

Saerain

Augur
Patron
I think we have two different rpg philosophies here, the "this is me in the game" vs "this is my character".

I think more like "This is my character who I'm inhabiting" and "This is my character who I'm puppeting".

Black

Arcane

In Role-Playing Games you're supposed to, like the name says, play a role. You're supposed to act like if you were your character, so it's both "this is me in the game" and "this is my character".
So, you know what's an RPG?

Naraya

Arcane
On another note, I really hope that CP2077 will embrace modding community as I see a great potential here.

Also - this could be a fantastic opportunity for VR - cyberpunk is the best background for this kind of stuff.

Glop_dweller

Prophet

I think more like "This is my character who I'm inhabiting" and "This is my character who I'm puppeting".
In this case it sounds like the same thing; both could be likened to what we see in the show: Quantum Leap. Unless you mean (for the latter example) mental control of the PC, and seen in Star Trek, when Kirk Kissed Uhura—under the control of an alien, and ostensibly resisting it.

I would say that the latter is not inhabiting the character, but that of extrapolating their motivations. The player realizes that Tiax (in Baldur's Gate) is a mad thief, and would likely go off on his own to rob the upstairs rooms at the Inn. Or that Misc would never attack Deionarra; or that Korgan have to be cursed with alignment reversal, to ever behave like a hero—(which I did BTW :). There is a cursed helmet in the game that does just that; and a sly party member gave it to Korgan to try on).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom