Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter First ever steampunk sandbox RPG with a multiplayer coming soon!

SteamForge

Literate
This is the last update of your previous Kickstarter attempt, One Dog Story. Are you continuing to make that game? If so what is the current status, and is it still on track?
Thanks for the question.
One Dog Story is another indie project which is completely separate from Steam Hammer. There's another team working on this project, but we're using the same account on Kickstarter because we have the same publisher - Big Way Games. AFAIK they were greenlit on Steam, had a campaign on Kickstarter, but cancelled it because the team decided to redesign the game, introduce new mechanics, and focus on fixing bugs and defects. They are still working on the game and have found a sponsor. The last thing I heard was that they finished with all the graphics and are now busy putting it together with mechanics, locations, in-game text etc. You can find out more about the project on their official Twitter (they update it regularly).

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One moment you're saying you're indie, then you're saying you have a publisher.
IY6msNU.jpg

Mackerel

Augur
I don't think it would be fair to evaluate one year's work (which is far from being finished) based on a couple of screenshots and a 3-minute video.
Excellent point, and following that line of though you should obviously shut down your Kickstarter so that we can judge only the finished project, you can send a review copy upon completion to someone on staff here. Thanks!

SteamForge

Literate
One moment you're saying you're indie, then you're saying you have a publisher.
I see no contradiction here. Some successful indiedevs had indie publishers. Since we were talking about One Dog Story, a couple of good examples of indie pixel games are Final Station and Punch Club developed by different teams, but which had the same publisher - TinyBuild. Or would you say they're not indie enough for you?

Last edited:

SteamForge

Literate
I don't think it would be fair to evaluate one year's work (which is far from being finished) based on a couple of screenshots and a 3-minute video.
Excellent point, and following that line of though you should obviously shut down your Kickstarter so that we can judge only the finished project, you can send a review copy upon completion to someone on staff here. Thanks!
A lot of good games were released because their fans supported them right from the start. We're not the first team to go on Kickstarter, and we're not going to be the last. My point was that we're actively developing our game, and more materials will come soon. Speaking of which, here's the update I was talking about earlier: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bwg/steam-hammer-sandbox-rpg/posts/1746106

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's what I see in that update:
* Magic flying copper-tinged armour!
* Aerial combat presented with super short camera takes so we don't see how actual thing would look like! DBZ has longer takes :D
* Early 2010s level graphics! (but I don't care, style is bad, more polys/better anims would not save it).

Here's what I don't see:
* any evidence of actual game mechanics - this is what makes or brakes a game. Why don't you show some off?
* actual combat, something that would show the feel of it
* proper steam boilers, pipes, governors, pistons, flywheels, rivets, or gears that would make any sense - you know, the proper steampunk aesthetics

SteamForge

Literate
Here's what I don't see:
* any evidence of actual game mechanics - this is what makes or brakes a game. Why don't you show some off?
* actual combat, something that would show the feel of it
* proper steam boilers, pipes, governors, pistons, flywheels, rivets, or gears that would make any sense - you know, the proper steampunk aesthetics

You're right, the GIF is too short to fit in everything, but that's how GIF's are, after all. We're now working on a longer video to give you an idea of what it's going to be like.
Now, since you're interested in our combat system: The game features four types of strikes plus blocks. The blocks are not going to be automatic, their direction will be chosen by the player himself. Overall, our melee battles resemble those of Mount & Blade. At the moment we're working hard on balancing and improving our combat system. We're also trying to achieve the right balance for combat chance both for melee and long-range fights.

As for boilers, pistons, gears etc. that make the game "proper steampunk", I'm sure you had a glimpse of those in our promotional video and the GIF's on the Kickstarter page, but, as I recall, you criticized them for not being proper steampunk, so I'm a bit confused here, sorry.

It's another kickstarter scam. Haven't we seen enough of those lately?
The game is real, and you're more than welcome to sign up for our alpha-test.

A short gif could be made that shows the entire combat sequence, without cutting out critical things like how contact between models works.

I meant boilers in proper places, connected by pipes that make sense. You have the bits, they just don't make sense together.

SteamForge

Literate
A short gif could be made that shows the entire combat sequence, without cutting out critical things like how contact between models works.
Thanks, I'll make sure and tell the guys we'll need a full sequence. Meanwhile, we're thinking of going on Kickstarter live sometime next week. I can't 100% promise that as I'm not the one to make these decisions, but please stay tuned for more!

SteamForge

Literate
Hi! This is just to let you know that we've updated the game description on our Kickstarter page. Hopefully, it will help properly answer some of the questions raised here and on our Steam page.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom