Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First time playing Baldurs Gate... help

Ash

Arcane
I'm used to playing games 2005 and newer, the only 90s game I've ever enjoyed was Chrono Trigger and Age of Empires 1 & 2.

Nice troll post. I rate :3/5:

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
...BG1, DoS, BG2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2...

?GAME?

Divinity: Original Sin.

@people in this thread: "Oh, you have a technical problem with figuring out a game mechanic and died once, what you need is for me to completely ignore the questions you raised and for me to tell you every single spoiler OP build in the game"

We answered his questions as best as we could with the information he gave us. We then supplemented that with suggestions for how to go about learning the ropes of BG.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been bored out of my mind lately so I figured I'ld give Baldurs Gate a shot

LMAO. How does that sentence even exist?

Just stop dude. IE games are horrible. Play ToEE instead.
Better yet Pool of Radiance or Champions of Krynn, if he wants a CRPG with AD&D mechanics.

3902-pool-of-radiance-dos-front-cover.jpg

SSI_1991_catalog_PG06.jpg

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Thanks everyone for the support BUT NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION of whether I should savescum and reload a save. Imoen I know is important for the sequel's plot (I've played the first 30 minutes of the sequel, before playing the first one). What's the 'proper' thing to do, I want the FULL CRPG EXPERIENCE, the last thing I want to do is waste 300 hours completing the baldurs gate series just for somone to ridicule me for 'savescumming', which leads to the next quetsion, what difficulty level is the 'proper' way?

...BG1, DoS, BG2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2...

?GAME?

Divinity: Original Sin.

@people in this thread: "Oh, you have a technical problem with figuring out a game mechanic and died once, what you need is for me to completely ignore the questions you raised and for me to tell you every single spoiler OP build in the game"

Wrong, Dragon of Siegespear. I've sunk 20 years into Divinity OS and about 300+ hours into Skyrim.

Better yet Pool of Radiance or Champions of Krynn, if he wants a CRPG with AD&D mechanics.

Does this game has the ability to import custom portraits? Because then I'll add it to my list.

Last edited:

Tycho Brahe

Novice
Does this game has the ability to import custom portraits? Because then I'll add it to my list.
Seriously? You're playing cRPGs because you can import custom portraits? Also, Pool of Radiance was released in 1988, do you really think that's possible?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Absolutely not trolling, I want to play the same character throughout my CRPG adventures. I've done the same with all my RPGs in the past (Human Paladin/Knight called Eldaris).

This is also why I won't be trying Planescape, fuck that edgy hippy world shit

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Tavernking said:
BUT NOBODY HAS ANSWERED MY QUESTION of whether I should savescum and reload a save. Imoen I know is important for the sequel's plot (I've played the first 30 minutes of the sequel, before playing the first one). What's the 'proper' thing to do, I want the FULL CRPG EXPERIENCE, the last thing I want to do is waste 300 hours completing the baldurs gate series just for somone to ridicule me for 'savescumming', which leads to the next quetsion, what difficulty level is the 'proper' way?

Dux said:
Save often and in different slots.

Lacrymas said:
Imoen being "important" in the sequel is a post-factum thing and it doesn't really matter in BG1. She's fine in BG2 even if chunked in BG1.

Look, no one is going to ridicule you for sucking at a game you play for the first time. Lack of reading comprehension on the other hand....

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

I just got my hand on Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate such old games! They were shit. Perhaps I should be more specific, when I meant what CRPGs to try, I was thinking of Isometric CRPGs, similar to the games that use the Infinity engine.

Dragon of Siegespear? 20 years in Divinity: Original Sin?

:troll:

My bad, I meant Siege of Dragonspear and 20 hours. I also said 300 years for Baldur's gate, but managed to spot it and edit it to normal.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
You should make a char named Lt. Commander Shepard and import the proper portrait. Just make him a fighter and give him 18 STR, DEX and CON plus 17 INT so you can dual to mage after lvl 13 and you're good. The trick is to equip the biggest armor available and the most badass sword and then click on the mobs and watch them die.

686f943a4ef440b0114e7fbd5ce1125d--character-portraits-character-ideas.jpg

You can then import that character into Mars Effect and play those games as well.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Absolutely not trolling, I want to play the same character throughout my CRPG adventures. I've done the same with all my RPGs in the past (Human Paladin/Knight called Eldaris).

This is also why I won't be trying Planescape, fuck that edgy hippy world shit
I just got my hand on Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate such old games! They were shit.
Thanks, now I hate newfags too. :argh:

So why don't you just keep failing and keep posting about it so we can ridicule you some more?

Then again you're probably just another alt so go kill yourself.

Citizen

And fuck the manual nobody reads the manual... I only have an hour per day to play and I'm not going to waste weeks reading a manual...

Ohh, it's now pretty obvious that you are just trolling, but the manual for bg is 150 brochure-sized pages long. It has ability score and reaction tables, explaination of stats, skills and classes. You've got to spend half an hour of reading a beautiful high-quality manual to know how the game works, what a chore.

DraQ

Arcane
And fuck the manual nobody reads the manual... I only have an hour per day to play and I'm not going to waste weeks reading a manual...
Well, no one forces you to and it's not like the game is hard to figure out without it. But if you can't RTFM, you don't get to whine to anyone else for help - see any green robes here? No?

I guess this will all be a lot of trial and error
If that's the way you prefer wasting your weeks. :stupid:

I've been bored out of my mind lately so I figured I'ld give Baldurs Gate a shot. I'm used to playing games 2005 and newer, the only 90s game I've ever enjoyed was Chrono Trigger and Age of Empires 1 & 2.
Why BG and not say... Fallout, Arcanum or PST first?

Never played a 90s cRPG and decided to start with an AD&D game? Why? Go with something simple and fun like Fallout. AD&D can be overwhelming for a beginner. If you want fantasy play some newer and easier title like Pillars of Eternity (don't know if you played it. If you have: Try Wizardry 8. Great blobber).

I want to try Fallout 1, definitely. I've played Pillars of Eternity and thoroughly enjoyed it, although I keep on getting bored in Act 3 and quit. Right now I'm torn between playing BG1 and replaying PoE to the end.
PS:T, Fallout and Wiz8 are all objectively much better games as well, although I wouldn't keep my hopes up for you ever finishing PS:T if going through BG manual, even thoroughly from cover to cover, would take you weeks.
:smug:

Self-Ejected

Pariah Dog

Self-Ejected
Patron
PS:T, Fallout and Wiz8 are all objectively much better games as well, although I wouldn't keep my hopes up for you ever finishing PS:T if going through BG manual, even thoroughly from cover to cover, would take you weeks.
:smug:

If his inability to figure out BG spellcasting is any indication, the first bunch of noxious slimes or those damn spiders in the monastery are going to kick his ass if he plays Wizardry 8.

Eriador

Arbiter
Play Morrowind instead, then make an LP to share your experiences with the Codex. :troll:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Absolutely not trolling, I want to play the same character throughout my CRPG adventures.
If you weren't trolling, you would realize that you can indeed import party members from one game to another within each series of Gold Box games. Which is to say, you can use the same party members in the Forgotten Realms series of 4 games (Pool of Radiance --> Curse of the Azure Bonds --> Secret of the Silver Blades --> Pools of Darkness), and you can use the same party members in the Dragonlance series of 3 games (Champions of Krynn --> Death Knights of Krynn --> Dark Queen of Krynn). Similarly, you can create a unique appearance for each of your characters, which is used in battle, and import those graphics to subsequent games; the Gold Box series was created for IBM PC in 1988, so the graphics are quite limited, but they're somewhat improved in the Amiga ports.

However...
I just got my hand on Pool of Radiance and Champions of Krynn, I don't think I'm ready to appreciate such old games! They were shit.
:3/5::0/5: Poor quality trolling. Please rethink your strategy and try again.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Gonna hijack the thread as well, since I'm playing BG1 (Tales of the sword coast edition) for the first time. No previous DnD background but I think I have a decent understanding now after I read through certain parts of the manual and looked at character/item stats but...

Does wearing heavier armor have any drawbacks? I know they weight more, but that does that affect attack speed or anything?

Otherwise, game's great. Only played FO1 and Bloodlines out of old school classics, so I've chosen to rectify that. :P

Too bad Minsc turned on me, but fuck you for aggroing me just because I thought I'm not prepared enough for the stronghold and dicked around too much. Rot in the ditch, moron.

Last edited:

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Deflowerer said:
Does wearing heavier armor have any drawbacks? I know they weight more, but that does that affect attack speed or anything?
Not that I know of in vanilla. If you use SCS or other mods heavier armors give penalties to arcane casting and sneaking. But in BG1 it's simply not possible to equip them as a thief or arcane caster iirc.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Deflowerer said:
Not that I know of in vanilla. If you use SCS or other mods heavier armors give penalties to arcane casting and sneaking. But in BG1 it's simply not possible to equip them as a thief or arcane caster iirc.
I think it's possible for multiclass thieves or mages. Which would then grey out the spell or thieving ability icons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom