Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For the love of god, make it stop

Murk

Arcane
Donno, what exactly are you guys looking forward to? The RPG scene is pretty stale and any threads on new games are immediately flooded with an endless hail of "bioshit, aliensshit, obsidishit" and so on.

What exactly do you want, Twinfalls? More talk on... fallout? Planescape? Arcanum? ... what? What's there left to talk about... ?

MisterStone

Arcane
If only VD and/or Cleve would finally release and bring about a new golden age. The anticipation is killin me!

Twinfalls

Erudite
We're talking about GD here, though the stupidity that's concentrated there has bubbled out everywhere. I'll be the first to admit I'm not much of a substantial contributor here, but I enjoyed lurking and reading. Now, it's painful to find that a once intelligent site is filled with reprehensible garbage because, for example:

- nomask wasn't banned months ago. VD would have done it. Now, his constant spamming of hatred of jews is accepted as something quaint.

- there is an actual cult of Cleve here.

- As Misterstone originally raised, practically every topic gets spammed with recursively sniggering one-liners and memes.

- we had a thread dedicated to a snuff video, with links. Hurrah.

- CF

Murk

Arcane
Snuff video? really? I guess that passed me by.

I avoid nomask all too easily, only time i read anything by him is in the rpg forum where he occasionally makes a decent post. Rest of the time i skip over his posts - his tag makes it pretty simple.

I know what you guys are really getting at tho - cloaked figure, liberal, zerotol, racofer, and other people like that who feed off one another's 5 word posts and drive what could possibly be a thread worth reading into a spiraling piss fight that isn't even entertaining. There's good flame wars and then theres the shit they pull that just makes you want to close the browser all together. codex has a particular forum philosophy i guess and DU sticks to it, i have no real lean one way or the other to be honest but do find that the complaining about the spammers is reaching a pretty high level. If we get, say, 200 posts of spam per day, there's about 30 posts of anti-spam complaints per day as well - i'm just making numbers up here but i think you understand what i'm trying to get at.

I guess it's just easy for me to ignore the lame posters.

edit: using the quick reply box to post really results in a different paragraph structure than you could foresee :(

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Mikayel said:
Was the codex some kind of heartily loved bastion that transcended simple game-discussion in the dayes ov yore, or are you guys in part LARPing on the forum as well with how personal this all is?
The Codex was once a bastion of beauty and hope where only the serious business of RPG discussions took place. No spammy useless comments were made and only deep, in-depth and thoughtful posts were started in GD about topics that were deep and thoughtful and required in-depth thinking to ponder them. People didn't post about themselves. We didn't talk about shenanigans on other forums. We didn't laugh at the news stories from other cultures or discuss war or Star Trek. We didn't make rap songs about members or dedicate threads to photoshopping them. We didn't mention Nazi's, at all, ever and people didn't post about what was happening in IRC.

We also, never ever Retardo'd threads (That's decline: Jan 01, 2003. Everyone blame Trash - By the end of the following year, Retardo Land was born).

... and no-one ever complained about the retarded posters making them want to leave.

Ahhh... Those were the days.

Oh wai...

POOPERSCOOPER said:
DarkUnderlord said:
I'm also not going to start arbitrarily shifting the chaff from the wheat. Not when people think a post made by aweigh about multi-headed dick hitting ass and thigh oh god its heavan is the greatest thing that ever happened in General Discussion.
Aphatmc (aka Porcu)
Well you're all alts of Kingcomrade to me. Can you really expect me to keep up with you all? I say no.

MisterStone said:
I think DU is missing the point. It's not about deciding who is stupid and who isn't. It's about people who make a mockery of posting at all by spamming
You mean like Trash when he first started posting here? Apamathca~! or porcu or whatever has always been a spammy tard. Exitium used to be blamed for most of the tarded threads before we kicked him off staff. KC was next and somewhere in there Volourn went nuts. CF himself is some aborted variation on Shota anyway.

MisterStone said:
, for instance by creating new threads that reference themselves as spammers and ask people to vote whether or not they are a stupid spammer, constantly dropping into a thread to post a meaningless five word sentences and bark insults at the other retards, etc. Attention whoring shit like this. It's a pattern of behavior that is easy to detect and does not require much subjective judgment. When I talked about banning people, it was a bit tongue in cheek, but I think most people can see the point of taking steps to discourage spam?
Typically I've found the complaints to be more problematic than the actual original comments themselves. EG: The whole bit around Andhaira where every reply to one of his threads was "OMG I CANT TAKE THIS MAKE IT STOP" because apparently, actually ignoring a thread that doesn't interest you is mind-bogglingly hard for most people. So hard they have to reply "MAKE IT STOP" and dedicate vasts amount of energy to him. Which is kinda the point I suppose because shit like that used to just simply die.

... and every 6 months or so we still get people saying ban so-and-so, stop this, do that. I mean, if you're right and these guys are only doing it for the attention, what do ya really think making a whole new thread about it in Site Feedback is actually doing? I mean, if we think about that for just one moment. The really hard kind of thinking where we put one and one together and come up with two and go "Oh, hey yeah... Right".

... and once again:

MisterStone said:
A massive plague of spamtards has swept over GD
Bother me when it happens in one of the other forums. Is it really so hard to *not* click the thread titled "I AM ORSUM" and actually wait a fucking day for it to be Retardo'd or even to *not* click the GD link at all if the forum is too infested for your frail sensibilities?

I mean yes, it'd be awesome if the Codex was just full of the intellectual elite posting about RPGs but then everyone whinges there aren't enough topics being posted, the same topics get posted over and over again, everyone says we've already had this discussion and OMG we have to do something about it because apparently, something always has to be done about something. That something invariable never involves doing something that actually addresses the issue though - like say, the people complaining actually putting efforts into making posts in their desired forum - and instead involves making posts complaining about the lack of other people not making posts in their desired forum and DU, why haven't you done something about this?

sheek said:
I can't remember... was the DU vs VD confrontation settled by a vote? I recall Calis and Taluntain, Shagnak and Babyarm sided with DU and that was the end of it. A bit later SaintP came back and was fine with the decision.
Don't be silly. It was my awesome powers that corrupted Calis, brought baby arm over to my side and turned the mind of Shagnak into an as yet indiscernible variety of cheese. When Saint returned, having survived my first assassination attempt on his life, his weak mindedness and fear were no match for my mighty amounts of awesome™. After years on the outside, my dreams of finally being in full control of an internet forum came to life. My dreams are complete and I can sit back, relax and chill as I let chaos reign.

Twinfalls said:
It wasn't the high-pressure jet of effluent it is now, if that's what you mean.
Statistically, the Codex is busier than it has been. At all. Ever. I still remember the time when I used to login once a week and check out the handful of new topics. Now it's daily. As far as I can see the proportion of retardedness has increased in-line with the proportion of non-retardness.
    2003 January 2,018
    2004 January 5,829
    2005 January 4,707
    2006 January 12,064
    2007 January 12,172
    2008 January 13,201
    2009 January 20,605

2002 4,335
    2003 27,731
    2004 59,001
    2005 80,310
    2006 131,718
    2007 151,335
    2008 195,243
There is only one thing I ban for and that is spamming but when "spamming" is being done in General Discussion threads and is on topic (like the thread I pointed out earlier) and involves all of an incredible four posts by three different people, as I said most of which are actually on topic, I'm not exactly raging in my chair here.

Visitor stats follow the same trend. Though you can wait until Brother None tells us all how awesome GameBanshee is before I post those again.

Twinfalls said:
I'll be the first to admit I'm not much of a substantial contributor here, but I enjoyed lurking and reading.
You're right. What we need is more lurkers in General Discussion. How about I just lock all the forums and then, everyone who can't be assed posting anything can lurk to their hearts content!

What an awesome place that would be.

And I'll add... Getting around a ban is incredibly easy. I had to block an awful lot of IPs to keep Andhaira out for as long as we did and in the end? We started getting too many people using the contact us form saying "Help, I can't register" which actually resulted in more effort than it was cleaning up Andhaira's threads in the first place.

Twinfalls

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
charts, statistics, slabs of excuses, I will do nothing HEAR ME ROAR

And oh yes, the problem is only GD:

nomask7 said:
Gragt said:
Will the zombies have a Star of David on their forehead or something?
Actually, I recently used a couple of hours imagining a Doom-Hexen type of game with various sorts of Jews as monsters: a bulky cape Jew with a joo hat, pretty much all black except white face and brown beard (and big nose) ... he attacks his target with his bare hands or with a ceremonial dagger (rarer), there are literally swarms of these Jews, and surviving their swarming attacks requires good reflexes, exceptional situational awareness, etc., etc.; then there is a flying harpy type of Jew with claws and an extra big nose, which he or she uses to attack his or her victim and drink the victim's blood; a lanky Middle-Eastern sniper Jew; a male witch Jew, who uses a book of Kabbalah to attack the hero with magic spells; a female seducer Jewess, who looks very sexy (unrealistic, but this is a game), to such a degree in fact that it will be difficult for the player to stop looking at her, until it's very late and she has her teeth in the player's throat via the player's mouth - a special animation for that, and you can try to tap buttons in panic to free yourself); unique boss Jews, such as Baruch Goldstein, who has a machine gun and lots of hit points; a shark Jew - avoid swimming pools and rivers, although you can't avoid the underwater lake level without dying before you get there; shadowy and less shadowy agent Jews of various agencies, from ADL to Mossad; stronger and slightly different looking and differently sized varieties of some of the above.

ADL has a base of operations that extends some hundreds of meters underground, real old-school dungeon crawling. It's been made almost impossibly difficult, unless you realize there's a way to gas all of the agents in their tunnels in a coordinated, one-treatment per facility manner. But then you can't get in without dying anymore (and you don't have to). If you do manage to get to the bottom of the inverted pyramid maze, you'll find a demon summon scroll, which you can use until you lose control of the scroll or the demon.

You get points for killing enemies, and mostly no one expects you to survive for long. It's a sort of arcade game in that respect, but it does have a progression through levels with very different designs and atmosphere.

Every level has a hidden portal to hell (actually, just the same level with a different color scheme, music, lighting, and tougher monsters).

The final level of the game is Heaven, and you can get there by becoming a saint crusader (having scored enough points) and, having been admitted as one, you'll ascend to Heaven (literally, through the air). You can find the final hell level by finding Jacob's Ladder and using it to descend to Hell (it's the only unique hell level, and the most difficult level in the whole game).

You don't have many weapons, but they've all been very well balanced and designed. There's a small hand axe, a two-handed sword, a semi-automatic pistol, fire bombs and the scroll I mentioned.

Anyway, it's basically just a good-looking first-person action arcade game where you can violently kill masses of Jews, the controls and gameplay are uniquely interesting and addictive (something like Gothic combined with Doom) and the game is extremely challenging and becomes more so toward the end.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Twinfalls said:
DarkUnderlord said:
charts, statistics, slabs of excuses, I will do nothing HEAR ME ROAR
And oh yes, the problem is only GD:
How terrible. You chose the one topic in the RPG forum bound to attract the Cult of Cleve (Grimoire) with an enticing title including the phrase ITZ and ignore not only the original bait by Crispy but the follow-up by Gragt. If anything, I should ban Crispy and Gragt for posting spammy off-topic one-liners and referencing events in GD (which the thread did right off the bat anyway).

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
For doing what? Posting his opinion on an internet forum (mostly in threads with titles like Nazi, Jew etc..)? I don't agree with 90% of the opinions expressed here. Doesn't mean I ban you for it or ask you to suck my cock or else you'll be banned. I think you have me confused with someone else.

Seriously, if it upsets you that much, you can grow your own pair of balls and find another internet General Discussion forum that's moderated to your tastes. You can lurk there to your hearts content.

I don't have a problem with DU's unwillingness to ban based on "stupidity". He's right, it's a bitch to enforce, and is going to piss people off, and create a whole shitload of drama. It's very subjective.

I don't think anybody minds if users spam a little in GD, maybe a post or two a day. That's fine, it can be fun. Why people with 20+ posts per day of almost nothing but spamming in GD are allowed is beyond me. If anything, just ban them for the sake of bandwidth. I mean, the post per day count is pretty damn objective.

As for nomask, just give him an ultimatum. Stop posting only nazi stuff, or else. It's what the staff agreed with TNP, so there's a precedent in place. I don't think anyone would mind. Not my call though.

Double Ogre

Scholar
Admit it, DU, you're just too lazy to care. You're basically saying that the people should behave properly themselves, without any moderation at all, but that's impossible.

With increasing popularity and basically no enforced rules the Codex starts looking more and more like 4chan. That's why people from other cRPG communities like RPGWatch hate us. Think about it.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Why people with 20+ posts per day of almost nothing but spamming in GD are allowed is beyond me.
Give me a list of said people to ban.

NOTE #1: If it doesn't include kingcomrade then you fail instantly.

NOTE #2: If your list includes people who I have no intention of banning who are accepted and performing said acts that are apparently "ban worthy" (like kingcomrade), then you fail a second time.

NOTE #3: You remembered the part where I said getting around a ban was really easy right and involved me having to ban entire IP ranges and half of Russia to keep people out and then people start saying "Why am I banned from the Codex", right?

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Stop posting only nazi stuff, or else.
Your list must also include the other people who "only" post nazi / race stuff.

NOTE #4: They actually do post other things if any of you tried to care.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
It's what the staff agreed with TNP, so there's a precedent in place. I don't think anyone would mind. Not my call though.
I'm quite certain there'd be a whole lot less whinging going on if I banned everyone who was "retarded". However I'm also certain I'd have to ban half the forum because if you recall, everytime we ever ban anyone we get another half of the forum asking why someone was banned so then we'd have to ban them too. VD often threatened to ban people for being his version of retarded. Look where that ended up. We had weekly "What the fuck is going on now" sessions and is spacemoose currently a problem with his "spamming"?

OgreOgre said:
Admit it, DU, you're just too lazy to care. You're basically saying that the people should behave properly themselves, without any moderation at all, but that's impossible.
I'm actually saying people are behaving themselves just fine. I haven't seen a Cloaked Figure off-topic spamming spree like Dicksmoker did last week and you're right, I really don't care if someone posts a stupid one-liner in a GD thread or even contributes long-running memes to an even more useless thread.

And if you haven't noticed, it's not happening. We kicked VD off staff a year ago because we made the decision we weren't going to go down that path. All of you who didn't like that said you were going to leave and were never going to visit the Codex again. Yet you're still here and you're still whinging about everything we do or don't do. I guarantee you the minute I start banning people, I'll get a whole other bunch of people whinging about the exact opposite thing.

All of the requests for banning can be summed up in one phrase "I don't like this person". You guys really just need to learn to get along and that in your sad, miserable internet lives you're going to encounter people you don't like. And no, the moderators aren't going to do anything about it for you.

OgreOgre said:
With increasing popularity and basically no enforced rules the Codex starts looking more and more like 4chan. That's why people from other cRPG communities like RPGWatch hate us. Think about it.
Except for the fact that the few people at sites like RPGWatch, QuartertoThree and so on that hate us, have always hated us. Seriously, there are topics at QuartertoThree from when the Codex was founded with people talking about how much they hate us. Also, my goal is not to make a forum that people from another forum are supposed to like.

There are plenty of other free internet forums that discuss RPGs out there. If this one is too terrible for you to stomach, you're more than welcome to try somewhere else.

sheek

Arbiter
Mikayel said:
Donno, what exactly are you guys looking forward to? The RPG scene is pretty stale and any threads on new games are immediately flooded with an endless hail of "bioshit, aliensshit, obsidishit" and so on.

What exactly do you want, Twinfalls? More talk on... fallout? Planescape? Arcanum? ... what? What's there left to talk about... ?
We could always discuss how to put the "Role" back into RPG...

You want to start the topic or should I?

OgreOgre said:
What makes you think "RPGWatch" "hates" "us"?

Unwanted

AndhairaXI

Unwanted
People from other sites hate Codexia for a couple of rather obvious reasons. Let me state them simply:

-Codexia does not like Bethesda
-Some Codexians don't like Bioware!
-Codexians like to dwell on yesteryear rather than today.
-Topics like "Hitler rUleZ" and "Two MOAR bombs on Japan' etc etc are sometimes spotted on the main bloody page.

There are other reasons but the above are the crux. Ofcourse, you cn ignore them and say "People hate us because of our freedoms and because we are free" nad live in your little bubble until someone rams two planes into your desktop.
But that would be you.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DU I think you should make this a sticky. So you won't have to repeat your arguments six months from now.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
DeclineOfTheCodex_Desktop.png

Someone should make my picture of my desktop their desktop and post it.

After that, I think you know what happens next.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Omg someone ban MLMarkland, he's doing nothing but posting off-topic spammy bullshit ffsomg.

Anyway, I don't believe I can think of even one person more butthurt than Twinfalls.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
DarkUnderlord said:
We also, never ever Retardo'd threads (That's decline: Jan 01, 2003. Everyone blame Trash - By the end of the following year, Retardo Land was born).

And see how my baby has grown. Makes a man proud, it does.

DarkUnderlord said:
MisterStone said:
I think DU is missing the point. It's not about deciding who is stupid and who isn't. It's about people who make a mockery of posting at all by spamming
You mean like Trash when he first started posting here?

I stopped posting drunk. Well, mostly. It does seem to improve matters.

DarkUnderlord said:
For doing what? Posting his opinion on an internet forum (mostly in threads with titles like Nazi, Jew etc..)?

To be really fair here, he does try to derail any thread he enters into a Jew bitchfest. Which is extremely tiresome. Still, by being the humorless rhetoric spewing cunt that he is he's also the worst advocate you could find for nazism and fascism. So in the end it evens out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom