Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For the love of god, make it stop

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
VIVA THE DECLINE!

Desktop-Decline.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Dicksmoker said:
So Edward what are the contents of "shit?"

Also:

DarkUnderlord said:

Just wtf DU?
It's there to remind me that I need to actually play the game at some point. So far, it's been there about two months and isn't working very well.

Andhaira

Arcane
Its a great game DU. Worth playng through once. Great landscapes, and npc's. Eastern flavor rocks, adn the martial art styles are fn. Just focus on the martial styles, not magic ones.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Baby Arm, why do you only have niche games on your desktop?

Niche games are supposed to be put on a seperate folder, and the desktop is only meant to be graced with cool icons of mainstream games.

It just looks better.

How does one not get depressed reading the names of all those obscure strategy games with such inspired titles like "Close Quarters Combat in Afganistan with Tactical War Machinery and NATO Co-ordinated Movements"?

obediah

Erudite
I used to be a large advocate against any banning or censoring of these forums. But that was back when members capable of intelligent conversation would occasionally go off the deep end or blow off some profane steam. I never thought I admit it - but an rpg forum ran by petty forum nazi's is better than a free-wheeling hangout for all of KC's 12 year old 4chan friends.

Since then, I've given up on ever participating in an interesting conversation here again, and resigned myself to checking in a few times a week to drop off some 1 line drive-by smart ass posts.

At this point my vote would be for dropping GD completely. Pick a cabal of 15-40 old timers that have proven a base level of intelligence, and give them all an interface to hide off-topic or otherwise stupid posts in the remaining forums. As long as 3 more people ding than support a post it is hidden.

If you are going to ban people, do it quietly. Just hide all of their posts from anyone that isn't logged in from an ip that person has used. As long as people don't gloat about so-and-so leaving, the troll will never even know.

oscar

Arcane
twinfalls stop being such a bitch. wtfs with all these people bitching about OMG SOMEONES SPAMMIN IN GENERAL DISCUSSION!!! :'( :o :o :mad: who post maybe like twice a year.

It's fairly obvious what threads are spam and what aren't. Besides it's no worse hearing Nomasks's holocaust theories then hearing the exact same discussion about Arcanum we've had about 40 times.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
DarkUnderlord said:
It's there to remind me that I need to actually play the game at some point. So far, it's been there about two months and isn't working very well.
But MOTB should take preference. Everyone knows that.

oscar

Arcane
That's the first time anyone on Codex ha called me that :D

Jason

chasing a bee
At this point my vote would be for dropping GD completely. Pick a cabal of 15-40 old timers that have proven a base level of intelligence, and give them all an interface to hide off-topic or otherwise stupid posts in the remaining forums. As long as 3 more people ding than support a post it is hidden.
Wow. The general argument for stricter moderation has some merit, but implementing it via some bizarre Survivor/American Idol/junior high/Chinese fire drill method is not one of your brighter ideas. As for dropping GD, I personally would not miss it. However, there are many non-retarded posters who would. Baby with the bathwater and all that.

How does one not get depressed reading the names of all those obscure strategy games with such inspired titles like "Close Quarters Combat in Afganistan with Tactical War Machinery and NATO Co-ordinated Movements"?
You have no idea how quickly I would pre-order a game with that title.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
obediah said:
If you are going to ban people, do it quietly.
*cough* We do. There are about 3 names in the ban list from the past month alone of people we quietly banned without ever mentioning it. Nobody notices them missing.

I think it's just there to distract us from VD's avatar humping his avatar in the corner.
It's okay. You can tell us these things. We won't judge you.

Andhaira

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
obediah said:
If you are going to ban people, do it quietly.
*cough* We do. There are about 3 names in the ban list from the past month alone of people we quietly banned without ever mentioning it. Nobody notices them missing.

Hey I asked about larpingdude. Also, has BONZIbuddy also beeen banned? Cmone, the is just a kid. Ofcourse he wil act immaturish. We need to be understanding and supportive, soon his testosterone will kick in and stabilize and he will outgrow this and become a productive Codexian!

obediah

Erudite
baby arm said:
Wow. The general argument for stricter moderation has some merit, but implementing it via some bizarre Survivor/American Idol/junior high/Chinese fire drill method is not one of your brighter ideas.

You should see my ideas for fighting the chinese army with 40 bullets, or feeding a family of 4 for 6 months with a loaf of bread. If I had a clue about how to separate the wheat from the chaff in online discussions I'd be too busy writing my Nobel acceptance speech to hang out here. :)

The (il)logic behind my idea was to only drop off-topic or pure trolling. Requiring multiple users to ding a post was to keep one person from going rouge and silencing opposing view points - not to install a web 2.0 group think. There have been some amazingly stupid people here that managed to be wrong about almost every topic, and others that can't disagree with someone without calling them a cocksucking assburglar. I wouldn't want to see either of those types censored.

As for dropping GD, I personally would not miss it. However, there are many non-retarded posters who would. Baby with the bathwater and all that.

I've felt the same up until very recently - but I think the baby drowned in the rising bathwater a few quarters ago.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
obediah said:
I never thought I admit it - but an rpg forum ran by petty forum nazi's is better than a free-wheeling hangout for all of KC's 12 year old 4chan friends.
..to keep one person from going rouge and silencing opposing view points
What's with all the love, obediah? Although we've had some disagreements, I don't recall ever talking to you as an admin and trying to "silence" your views. I tempo-banned some people who I thought deserved it and when I thought that it's time to clean up the place, I talked to the other admins and asked for a full consensus.

Nobody went rogue and there were no banning spree and silencing of opposing views, so what are you talking about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom