Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For what do people play Diablo (and such games)?

Why play diablo-style games?

• Grinding/looting

Votes: 102 48.1%
  • Simple but catchy gameplay

Votes: 127 59.9%
  • Interesting setting/design in particular games

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Other (specify) in your post

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo 2 was a treasure hunting sim that went full derp regarding the gothic setting of the original, it's a very different game in my mind despite the fact that so many people have the tendency to lump them together
It also went full derp regarding treasure hunting as lack of persistency turned it into slot machine simulator.

It had good item system, some cool loot, not bad classes and abilities plus some decent graphics, but was a waste as a game.

Also, retarded level reqs on loot.

Jive One

Educated
I always played Diablo as a non-complex roguelike. To me the fun was creating a new character in hardcore and trying to get as far as you can while "living off the land". I never understood why people would have a stash full of the best equipment and then rush their way through the game for the sole purpose of magic finding later on. People turned D2 especially into an item collecting simulator and then wondered why it got boring for them.

Challenge is the key and these games are at their most fun when you can play untwinked and hardcore.

Outmind

Augur
I'd just about gotten my first PC at the tender age of 12 and had a friend lend me his copy of diablo a couple of months after that. That game had hands down the single greatest atmosphere I've ever experienced in any hack & slash ever, trumping even most serious rpg-s, with notable exceptions such as bloodlines.

It just FELT creepy as fuck - the iconic music, the monsters creeping out from the shadows, the fact that one of those skittering bloodlickers could 2 hit your puny wizard... all of this made the game much more of an experience than the lootfests diablo 2 and especially 3 are. I remember almost shitting myself when i saw those first couple of flesh clans in the well cleansing quest, or those rhino things when they send you to collect Valor. Not to mention the butcher or garbad... Plus no one playthrough was alike so that helped too. Even my 10 year older brother was a bit scared when he played it one night all alone in the house :).

Another h&s i really enjoyed was Titan Quest, priarily because of the diverse playstyles and combinations you could develop. No two builds were alike and although there was a ton of trash loot and the maps weren't randomly generated you could still have fun with multiple playthroughs.

In short - atmosphere and interesting game mechanics, provided the games have any.

whatevername

Arcane
You don't play diablo-style games because they all suck.
Titan Quest sucks because there's no variety of skills and items.
Sacred 2 is just a giant bug collection with graphics.
Torchlight 1/2 is just a cartoony looking shit. When your character is crouching with legs spread wide apart instead of standing, arrows are just lines and swords make air glow as you swing them, you know this game was made for retards.
Diablo 3 - same as above.

You play Diablo/Diablo 2 instead.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Torchlight 1/2 is just a cartoony looking shit. When your character is crouching with legs spread wide apart instead of standing, arrows are just lines and swords make air glow as you swing them, you know this game was made for retards.

You should try Path of Exile. :thumbsup:

DraQ

Arcane

Diablo 2 is meh - MMO lite slot machine, basically.

1 is sweet, though, if simplistic.

Perkel

Arcane
None of answers in poll.
Grinding isn't answer as no one actually likes to grind as using mechanic.

For me it is build mechanics. I can think myself a build and then try it in practice. Or sometimes you get interesting unique and you build whole build around one item.

What is don't get though is why people play most of MMOs in first place as their mechanics, stories, quests are borderline shit.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
All Diablo games after the first seemed really to be something that just uses basic human psychology to entertain people.
Like , when I was a kid, I was fascinated by it's exploding monsters and gore and loot (whee, numbers going up!). But that shit just doesn't hold up, the game mechanics themselves are boring as hell.

The only Diablo-style game I genuinely enjoyed was Xanadu Next. (Made by Falcom, the guys who did Ys).
They ditched the idea of random dungeons, potion\hotskill spam and lootgrind.
Replaced them with a metroidvania world structure, and a combat system that has more focus on positioning and timing.

The result was absolutely fantastic, and I recommend it to everyone.

http://theisozone.com/downloads/pc/windows-games/xanadu-next-japeng-patch-included/

eremita

Savant
It's a great co-op game. Torchlight2 and D3 (after the patching - on Torment difficulty) are a lot of fun when playing with friends. And that's not to be taken for granted in hack'n'slash games. For example, Obsidian's DS3 sucks balls so much in co-op I can't even take it.

Also, fuck everyone who says D3's artstyle/atmosphere is WoW-like. You're either blind or retarded or both.

Perkel

Arcane
It's a great co-op game. Torchlight2 and D3 (after the patching - on Torment difficulty) are a lot of fun when playing with friends. And that's not to be taken for granted in hack'n'slash games. For example, Obsidian's DS3 sucks balls so much in co-op I can't even take it.

Also, fuck everyone who says D3's artstyle/atmosphere is WoW-like. You're either blind or retarded or both.

WoW:

Untitled_large.jpg

Diablo 3

Untitled_large.jpg

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's fun to play HC Diablo 2 every now and then, but I don't have the same willpower to grind and farm for loot that I did when I was a kid. I just beat all the difficulties (or die trying) and then quit for another few months.

imweasel

No idea why people like Diablo. The games are fucking boring clickfest.

eremita

Savant

WoW:

Untitled_large.jpg

Diablo 3

Untitled_large.jpg
Convenient and manipulative pics, nothing else. Those are always pathetic, yet community still uses them (the infamous "RPGs then RPGs now" lame bullshit) . Probably because... they're convenient and manipulative but without real argument? Hmm? Maybe? You know, like good old propaganda in totalitarian regimes? I can post some shit where D3 looks nothing like WoW but why bother... I'm probably not that much of a faggot to do that...

Perkel

Arcane
Convenient and manipulative pics, nothing else. Those are always pathetic, yet community still uses them (the infamous "RPGs then RPGs now" lame bullshit) . Probably because... they're convenient and manipulative but without real argument? Hmm? Maybe? You know, like good old propaganda in totalitarian regimes? I can post some shit where D3 looks nothing like WoW but why bother... I'm probably not that much of a faggot to do that...

You are full of shit. Diablo 3 artstyle is full of WoW shit. Characters are straight wow shit.

WalmartJesus

Learned
I find Diablo style games to be mindless fun (especially when playing with other people). I look at these games in the same way as beat em ups like Gauntlet, Golden Axe, Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara ...but with a bigger emphasis on statbuilding.

These games should be judged for what they are -- fun beat em ups with rpg elements. Anyone who actually compares a Diablo type game to actual rpgs like PS:T or Fallout is a fucking retard.

WalmartJesus

Learned
[

Convenient and manipulative pics, nothing else. Those are always pathetic, yet community still uses them (the infamous "RPGs then RPGs now" lame bullshit)

It's not lame, it's the truth ...unless your dumbass is actually implying that DA2's writing/dialogue is on par with Planescape? :lol:

As for "D3 looks nothing like WoW" ...lol stop the lies, I'm one of the few people that didnt mind the game and even I'm able to admit that D3's look is cartoony compared to it's predecessor's darker aesthetics.

Last edited:
I think Diablo 3 is reminiscent of Blizzard's modern artystyle, albeit a lot more tolerable having toned down a lot of it's worst aspects.

Even when looking at images chosen for the argument it's still obvious that there are stylistic differences. Warcraft is more rounded, with horrid exaggeration on hands and feet, like stated, you'd have to be retarded to not see the differences between those images. Proportions, leg shape, hands and feet. Those are all the worst things about Warcraft's artstyle in my opinion.

Example:
Undead Butcher in WoW:
500px-Borgoth_the_Bloodletter.jpg

Demon Butcher in Diablo 3:
120522_review_diablo3_featured.jpg

Note the hands, and overall less cartoony aesthetic.

Lhynn

Arcane
Diablo and Dins curse are the best in the genre, they are pretty fucking good.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interesting settings and some nice design additions (like the magic system in Kult or line of sigh in Nox). Also I'm a sucker for isometric graphics. I think most of these are worth trying

Divine Divinity
Inquisitor
Prince of Qin
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption
Kult Heretic Kingdoms
Nox
The Bard's Tale
Lionheart
Titan Quest
Restricted Area

Too bad they were never expanded into "proper" RPGs, tons of wasted potential.

Inquisitor, Divine Divinity, Prince of Qin and Lionheart are trying to be more than just straight Diablo clones.

And Restricted Area is probably one of the most boring and un-varied Diablo clones I've ever played, and I tried many shovelware clones.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Warcraft is more rounded, with horrid exaggeration on hands and feet, like stated, you'd have to be retarded to not see the differences between those images. Proportions, leg shape, hands and feet. Those are all the worst things about Warcraft's artstyle in my opinion.
Don't forget the WH40K-style huge shoulders and shoulder pads...

whatevername

Arcane
BTW there's a mod for Diablo 1 that lets you set 1920x1080 resolution and zoom out so you don't see blurry pixelated mess.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what makes Diablo 2 less fun than Diablo 1 (as many seems to think), except nostalgia? Basic gameplay is quite similar, except you have lots more options and loot diversity in D2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom